Why no touring top box with saddle bags installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakerr

Reaction score
Looking at the Yamaha Canada site and they say that the touring top box is a stand-alone product and should not be used if side bags are on the bike.

Why? Is this just concern about overloading or other?

Total Legal BS, I've put on over 200k miles on my FJR with all three bags on and on all kinds of roads, from smooth as silk freshly paved super slab to super tight twisties to gravel, grass fields and everything in between.

So load her up and go riding.

Don't put more than, what...11 pounds in that top box either.
biggrin.png

Nope...If you run all three bags at once, you'll die. Almost as violently as when running a car tire.

Lol...We all think its legalese but may be related to subframe issues. Just don't overload them and you should be fine.

Some have found running at FJR nominal speeds the top box can affect handling due to air flow around the top box. Others don't notice it.

Nope...If you run all three bags at once, you'll die. Almost as violently as when running a car tire.
Lol...We all think its legalese but may be related to subframe issues. Just don't overload them and you should be fine.
I've given thought to mounting a car tire AND running the top box with the side bags. I figure it should burst into flames in my garage before I even get it started up with THAT combo.

I've given thought to mounting a car tire AND running the top box with the side bags. I figure it should burst into flames in my garage before I even get it started up with THAT combo.
I ride that way all the time. I have no idea how I'm still here typing this.

I ride that way all the time. I have no idea how I'm still here typing this.
Own up Justin!

You did all those long rides on a Gold Wing, and in a corner of your garage you have a moldering pile of fifteen broken FJR subframes :)

Justin, there's living life on the edge and just being plain suicidal. You sir are crazy!

That said, there's a fractured subframe sitting in the corner of my garage.