Widder Lectric-ArmChaps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
Over the years, I've used different heated vest/jacket/glove combinations on different bikes. I began with a Widder vest and gloves 17 years ago, have owned three Gerbing's liners, two sets of Gerbing's gloves, Widder Ventura II vest, two pairs of Widder gloves, and a Warm & Safe jacket liner.

Since the wind protection on the FJR1300 is much better than on my CBR1100XX, and this is the bike that I'll ride in colder temperatures.. I've decided to sell my Warm & Safe jacket liner, Gerbing's gloves and purchase a new Widder System 2 vest.

How effective are the Lectric-ArmChaps that can be used with the System 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
I went the other way. I thought the Warm-n-safe were as effective or more than Widder Lectric 2 with arm chaps...and certainly easier to put on. The only thing I gave up would have been efficiency of watts usage, but you've got a Gen II so I wouldn't worry about that. IMO, going to Lectric2's would be a step down from the Warm-n-safes.

Over the years, I've used different heated vest/jacket/glove combinations on different bikes. I began with a Widder vest and gloves 17 years ago, have owned three Gerbing's liners, two sets of Gerbing's gloves, Widder Ventura II vest, two pairs of Widder gloves, and a Warm & Safe jacket liner.
Since the wind protection on the FJR1300 is much better than on my CBR1100XX, and this is the bike that I'll ride in colder temperatures.. I've decided to sell my Warm & Safe jacket liner, Gerbing's gloves and purchase a new Widder System 2 vest.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I've got the arm chaps and don't care for them.. They only cover the outside of your arms (your arms are not completely enclosed) and use strapping with velcro to hold onto your arms.. I really like the vest, gloves and controller...

i've found the arm chaps very effective. and, unlike some have implied, i also find them easy to use. once the elastic straps are properly adjusted, you simply slide in/out of them as if they were sleeves.

i had the gerbing liner and sold it after it set unused for at least 2 seasons after getting the widder stuff. you wear the widder UNDER your layers instead of out away from you like a jacket liner is worn.

I have the vest and arm chaps, I love them! I have had no other to compare however, I find them very easy to get on and off. At 30f I am very comfortable, after that I take the car.

i've found the arm chaps very effective. and, unlike some have implied, i also find them easy to use. once the elastic straps are properly adjusted, you simply slide in/out of them as if they were sleeves.

I was out today riding in 6 C with them.... and they are "ok". Widders dont put out the heat like some others hence their lower wattage.

If you do alot cold weather riding I'd get or keep the Gerbers

you wear the widder UNDER your layers instead of out away from you like a jacket liner is worn.
You're supposed to wear any heated liner as close to your skin as is comfortable - if you put a heated liner on over several underlayers you're just insulating yourself from the heat it produces.

you wear the widder UNDER your layers instead of out away from you like a jacket liner is worn.
You're supposed to wear any heated liner as close to your skin as is comfortable - if you put a heated liner on over several underlayers you're just insulating yourself from the heat it produces.
exactly my point about the advantages of a vest's design over a liner.

I just bought a set of Widder arm chaps and I'm not 100% sure I totally like them. I will need to use them a few more times. But the the vest is very good.

I will have to agree about close to you skin. I wear my underarmour first and then the vest and chaps and then a layer of sweater/ sweat shirt then coat/jacket.

I like them MAINLY due to the fact that they do not "bunch" up or cause pinched area in the inner portion of my elbow. I hate that about bulky clothes.

Getting them on takes a little more time than a vest alone. But I like the versatility of the system 2 as a whole.

If the temps are very cold (30's), they are just OK. But I'm wussified so rarely venture out in temps below 40.

I suppose if I had plenty of cash sitting around, I would get a full length heated "shirt" for really cold temps and use the Widder S2 w/o chaps for temps over 55 or so.

I just got the chaps and used them in fairly cold wx yesterday and I do like them. Kinda funky when you first look at them, but the do work pretty well. At a lower output than other vests, I suspect they don't get as warm. But, yesterday I wasn't cold. Not particularly hard to put on, but not as easy as a one-piece jacket. All in all, I'm satisfied.