Wilbers fork springs VS 04-05 Springs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramblin Man

Reaction score
This has probably been asked somewhere already but I've been busy. Anyone have solid opinions on how much better, if at all the wilburs fork springs are over the 04-05 fork springs? I already have the shock and love it. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and get the springs. I put the 04 springs in my 03 and they were the best bang for the buck upgrade I've done.

Do I need to get the Wilbers springs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be warned that if you change fork springs and get the "fork creak" b.s. story I originally got from the dealer Yamaha won't touch it (under warranty of course).

I put the rear shock on from the last group buy and think then the front end feels a bit week. I happen to be at 20K miles and think it's time to at least replace fluid so it makes a perfect time to ponder springs. At less than a $100 I think they are going to be a nice companion to the $500'ish rear shock.

My case is hindsight though....it obviously didn't get me to spring for the hundred the first group buy. I'm just now fortunate that I have them available at discount and very likely would be buying them anyway.

Ramblin, right now you have a bike that has the rearend setup for performance and a front end setup for touring. Replace those 04 springs. I took a few months to put in the front springs, after I had swapped out the rear earlier. The front end is now more planted on the road, it's stiffer, not as soft / mushy as before. Much less nose dive when you hit the brakes. If you want more performance out of the FJR, do the swap.

One of the unexpected gains for me was ride height, my bike picked up about 1/2" in height, which helped with cornering clearance, I'm dragging less now. If you like to push the envelope, swap 'em! B)

Considering I will have the rear shock from them, it only makes sense to have a matching front, as they use the same info I supplied to spec the springs. money well spent IMHO. And this on an 05. Just one more step in the evolution of my 2 wheeled version of a CLK.

Radman,

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the Wilbers front fork springs are "one size fits all"

progressive at 7.0/10.0 kg/cm.

dobias <_<

Go for the springs. They indeed do make a positive difference in the front end. Also, the sensitivity of the adjustments you do make are more readily felt over the stockers...

Thanks TDub, dobias made me cry and I was gonna delete all my posts. But you have made me feel valuable and wanted again.

self-esteem-poems.jpg

OK, ok. I signed up for the springs, but they are coming out of your cut. :D

I wanted to get the springs last time but those Christmas time group buys are killers. Group buys should always be set up for tax refund time. ;)

I bought myself a samsung sports cam with the helmet mounted accessory cam as my Christamas present for this year. Looking forward to posting some vids that DON'T put the veiwers to sleep like some members vids I know... :p

I bought myself a samsung sports cam with the helmet mounted accessory cam as my Christamas present for this year.  Looking forward to posting some vids that DON'T put the veiwers to sleep like some members vids I know... :p
OK, OK... I'll use some 'livelier' music and wick it up a bit... :****:

By the way, that Samsung unit is a sweet little rig. Wish I knew about it before I got my Canon...