Wilbers Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kinda interesting how something (klaus' treatment by wilbers) as widely discussed at the time got this new spin on it after a few months.
I did not know this was discussed a couple of months ago. I just found out about the new distributer and wanted to let everyone know. Next time I'll just get a Penske, but I have a Wilbers on my FJR and FZ6.....................so i'm stuck for now.

Well, OK, I understand there was some dissatisfaction with the original Wilber's rear spring rates for some folks. IIRC, Klaus made people whole by replacing the springs. I had Klaus install my shock, and I think he did a great job. I don't know or care about Wilbers Germany or their dispute. But when it comes time to to refurbish my shock, I'll have Klaus do the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
kinda interesting how something (klaus' treatment by wilbers) as widely discussed at the time got this new spin on it after a few months.
I did not know this was discussed a couple of months ago. I just found out about the new distributer and wanted to let everyone know. Next time I'll just get a Penske, but I have a Wilbers on my FJR and FZ6.....................so i'm stuck for now.
Well, Wilbers wanted a dealer that would sell their stuff exclusively. I can understand that thinking. They think they're selling hamburgers and Burger King doesn't sell Big Macs. The thing is, they aren't selling burgers. Is their new dealer selling only Wilbers? If not, all this trouble was for nothing.

According to the Beemer Shop's web site, they are "the west coast importer". The inference is that there are importers east of them; it would not appear that they are N.America's exclusive dealer the way I read it.

According to Wilbers own web site...

"In the near future, Wilbers Products GmbH is to found service points everywhere around the USA. Whether you are interested in becoming a licensed Wilbers service dealer yourself or just want to know where your nearest service-point is situated, this is the right place to be.

Those service-points are responsible for maintenance, servicing and guarantee works for our products as well as they can sell our products in their own shops. Thus the customer will always know where to turn to in questions of troubleshooting.

Information about:

Klaus Huenecke

Mr. Huenecke is a trusted and reliable licensed dealer of Wilbers Products GmbH for some years now. From his office in New Jersey he started the Wilbers exploration of the USA. Due to his huge experiences with our shock absorbers and with our whole product range, he is THE expert in the USA you can turn to whenever you got servicing or installation questions. "

https://www.wilbers.de/usa/index_shop.html?index_start.htm

I thought I had read some months ago that the two had kissed and made up.

I got in ion the Wilbers first group buy. under sprung rear spring and progressive front springs that wouldn't match up to the rear. Took it over to Phil at AfterShocks and he uprgraded the rear spring, modified the front spings, did a fork service and set the bike up. Did wonders to the suspension at a very affordable price. He is really good. he also did my Wee Strom and my KLX300 dirt bike.

I am only hearing hearsay info about Klaus vs. the Wilburs people. Two sides to every story and I smell a rat on both sides.. Wouldn't touch a Wilburs product with a 10 foot pole and have no faith in klaus information either.

That's why I went with a Penske and GPsuspension :)

According to the Beemer Shop's web site, they are "the west coast importer". The inference is that there are importers east of them; it would not appear that they are N.America's exclusive dealer the way I read it.
According to Wilbers own web site...

Information about:

Klaus Huenecke

Mr. Huenecke is a trusted and reliable licensed dealer of Wilbers Products GmbH for some years now. From his office in New Jersey he started the Wilbers exploration of the USA. Due to his huge experiences with our shock absorbers and with our whole product range, he is THE expert in the USA you can turn to whenever you got servicing or installation questions. "

https://www.wilbers.de/usa/index_shop.html?index_start.htm

I thought I had read some months ago that the two had kissed and made up.
Nope.... pretty sure that is not the case..... more likely, the web page you cited simply hasn't been updated since the "Parting of the Ways" between Klaus and Wilbers Germany last April....

Looks like that web page was created in Mar, '06....

<meta name="creation_date" content="2006-03-16">

I got in on the second GB ('06) -- Wilbers springs up front and Wilbers 641 (? -- too lazy to check) in the rear (remote adjustable preload and adjustable height options). I have it pretty well dialed for one up and two up now and am very happy with it, though I think the Traxxion AK-20 and Penske rear shock on the XX are better (and considerably more expensive1). Given the particular adjustments on both systems on both bikes (esp. remote preload on the FJR), and the fact that the FJR is more a dual weight set up compromise (one and two up bike) than the XX (almost exclusively one up), I think I saved the money in the right places and the FJR suspension works very well adjusted for either 1-up light weight or fully loaded conditions.

My only concern is the reports of Wilbers leaks, occasional failures, and the need for a place for the periodic rebuilds. Having the new site 150 miles from here is much more convenient to me than Klaus 3,000 miles away. If they're sending the shocks out to a SF shop (Aftershocks??) that guys like Highlander report satisfaction with, then I'm a happy camper with my Wilbers on the FJR.

To the extent that I once mused that MAYBE my rear shock spring was too light, I'm not so sure now that I've got my 2-up adjustments better dialed. And in any event, I'm on my way back down to 175 to 180 lbs from 195, and combined with the 14 lb savings of the Muzzy full system, I figure that the 30 to 35 lb savings will make up for that. (Electrical farkles ain't that heavy are they?)

1The XX needed the Traxxion AK-20 kit a LOT more than the FJR, whose front suspension I find (at least with Superbrace and appropriate springs) to be downright decent -- not something I thought about the XX OEM front suspension. To be fair, it is the AK-20 kit that most skewed the relative prices of the two setups.

And in any event, I'm on my way back down to 175 to 180 lbs from 195, and combined with the 14 lb savings of the Muzzy full system, I figure that the 30 to 35 lb savings will make up for that. (Electrical farkles ain't that heavy are they?)
Those electricals are REALLY REALLY light when you leave them on the shelf in the garage rather than install them! :dribble: