Wild Bill Highway Pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm nervous enough about them not letting me lean the bike over in a corner to hesitate putting them on my '05... don't think I could easily make them stick out farther.

TWILKIN650, go check out Kuryakyn for spacers. You may want to browse for different pegs while there, say something a bit longer with improved shoe/boot grip.

I'm nervous enough about them not letting me lean the bike over in a corner
Groo, your bombing corners with your feet on deployed HIGHWAY pegs? :blink: With the highway pegs folded up the only time they would ever touch is when they are acting as TOGs.

I'm nervous enough about them not letting me lean the bike over in a corner to hesitate putting them on my '05... don't think I could easily make them stick out farther.
What made me nervous was the potential of the pegs/plates "prying" out the screws on a tip-over or laydown.

What keeps the pegs folded in the up position when not used? I might not have been clear enough in my earlier post... I guess the mental picture I had was having the pegs folded, and then getting some serious lean going into a corner... the peg unfolding, and bad things happening as a result. I had considered buying these in the past, but that mental image always made me think twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
What keeps the pegs folded in the up position when not used?
Friction. I wouldnt worry about them coming down unless you left the bolts that hold the footpeg itself (footpeg mounts to a square piece that then bolts to the wild bill mount) so loose the footpegs just flapped around. Even then if you touched down the peg would just bounce off the asphalt.

I was considering getting a set for my 06 before I took delivery on Thurs. Now that I have a whopping 210 miles on the bike, and have set my foot where i think the peg would rest. I am now hesitant to get them as it feels like the back trailing edge of the upper fairing would be in my shin. Has any one with the pegs experienced this? I am 6'2 with a 35 inseem size 12 foot

So what are the best aftermarket pegs that work the best...

I got the Wild Bill's and I love them, just don't like the pegs themselves...

thanks

The deal with the K pegs is that extensions fit after the hinge. Folded up results in the extensions folding too, so the folded width stays narrow (inside the area of the fairing and R&G sliders).

Anyone with Terry's highway pegs fit an additional spacer and a longer bolt to make them a bit wider?
Yes. They were too short for me as well. I used a longer bolt and spaced them out about 3/4" using two stainless hex nuts on each side. IIRC, it was necessary to put the pegs on before installing the brackets. As many have said, the brackets are great but the pegs leave something to be desired. I looked at Kuryakyn but came away confused as to how any of their products could mount to the Wild Bill brackets, since their peg mounts all seem to be 90 degrees opposite the WB pegs. Maybe I missed something?

The WB pegs deploying on their own while cornering is a valid concern. The brackets are more or less solid mounted to the motor so the peg hinges tend to loosen up a bit over time, due to vibration I think. So far my solution is to leave them deployed and corner with my feet on the highway pegs. Since I'm usually riding 2-up, I'm not exactly pushing the bike to see which hard part scrapes first anyway, so it don't matter that much. But I'm still looking for a better peg solution.

All that said, I really like having the WB pegs. When using them my legs end up acting as air scoops to bring some cool air in, alleviating heat concerns and also eliminating backpressure from the big windscreen I run.

I was considering getting a set for my 06 before I took delivery on Thurs. Now that I have a whopping 210 miles on the bike, and have set my foot where i think the peg would rest. I am now hesitant to get them as it feels like the back trailing edge of the upper fairing would be in my shin. Has any one with the pegs experienced this? I am 6'2 with a 35 inseem size 12 foot
I'm 6'2", 32" inseam and barely rub my calf on the fairing of my '05. I can "force" pressure, but if I kep my size 14's on the outer 1/2 of the peg, everything is fine. I used the "cruiser-type" round pegs with O-rings for grip. They sure help the comfort (think: changing foot positions) on long trips.

I fit a set of Kuryakins to my Rileys. Male pegs, which fasten by means of a bolt from the back side of the bracket. I just opened up the hole to fit (5/8 fine thread IIRC) , and spaced the peg mount out as needed with stainless washers. The K's are big, sturdy, and comfortable. Spacing correctly overcomes any problems with plastic interference. The left side does make filter removal a little more interesting, but it can be done without bracket removal, even with the larger bolt head this install requires. I see them often on Ebay, where I got mine, for way less than retail (these are not cheap). And they're chrome, so, if any Bandidos start giving you the eye, simply point down and you be in da club. :D I have the 8002 in the pic. Note the 8025 are already extended.

8000-harley.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the Kuryakin adjustable offset longhorns with the switchblade pegs ,, must say they are very nice ,,

if you contact Alex at Motorcycle Trends on ebay or at the shop in Roanoke VA you will get a better deal than buying off the Kuryakin site ,, tell him Sparky sent you ,,

I put a set of Kuryakyn, # 7996 off sets on mine after returning from EOM last year, Had to Drill the mounting hole for them, then just picked up a set of pegs at a local HD shop. They drag occasionally, however as long as you have them adjusted so the fold when the touch you should be fine, I have only touched in corners a few times.

I'm looking forward to WFO for purposes of test sitting some pegs, and opinions on other farkles being considered. Oh yeah, and riding an AE!

I did the Kuryakyn #7996 dog-leg extensions for Terry's highway peg brackets today as described. Will try them on this week's Arkansas trip. I fitted the #8000 pegs as shown in the picture posted earlier. They look plenty big and the combo gives about 2" extension a bunch more foreward mount for the pegs on each side. We'll see. I'm not so agressive a rider that this will be much of a problem leaned over.......

I installed a set of MC Enterprises footpegs on mine. They're a little longer than normal, and give me plenty of room to move my feet/legs around.

Dennis Kirk...$60.99 I just tossed the clamps and countersunk the mounting holes on Wild Bill's brackets. Worked perfect.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...0901&mmyId=

MCEnterpirsesfootpegs.jpg

And may I say that these highway peg brackets are a life saver? My knee no longer gives me any trouble on longer rides! #1 farkle, IMHO.

Thanks Wild Bill!!! :yahoo:

I used the long Harley pegs with the full rubber insert. I can now put the feet up or hang my heels with no interference from the fairing. The extra length makes a big difference. And i don't use them where I have to lean the bike over in turns just straight on the highway.