Wild Bills Highway Pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic. If you have the fold up the pegs that Wild Bill sells with the mounts, you probably won't have any issues with scraping. I bought mine from Ngarider and he had touched the mount down on the right side a few times. Keep in mind that he is a crazy nut and can damn near scrape one of the mirrors when going through the twisties!
I have 2 things to say here.

1) Mirrors? Hmm. Not the stock ones, but those big mirrors you have (FZ1 or something?) I could probably scrape! I did drag the exhaust on both sides in an emergency (on the 05). The touchdown point is right on the weld, too. But, let's just say chicken strips got nothin' on you either, pal!

2) Back on topic, I warned jwilly and I'll warn you. The wild bill mounts can be drug very easily in my experience. DO NOT leave the pegs on if you plan to lean the bike for fun and profit. he sells two kinds, one with a short 'bar' and one with a longer bar. If you have the longer bar, DANGER. The longer bar (bar being the part that mounts to the plate) will touch down right as the pegs do. This means you'll drag hard fastened parts. I've personally witnessed an FJR rider wad an 06 because of this (80mph get-off, pogo'd the rear end because of that stupid highway peg mount). He had the long bars, I had short. I had already drug my short ones, and took them off the bike (and sold to jwilly, who promised not to wad his bike).

Again, for those reading Cliffs Notes: if you put the Wild Bill highway pegs on, use EXTREME CAUTION when leaning the bike. If you don't want to deal with this at all (like me), try Leo Drolets slider inserts.

Again, for those reading Cliffs Notes: if you put the Wild Bill highway pegs on, use EXTREME CAUTION when leaning the bike. If you don't want to deal with this at all (like me), try Leo Drolets slider inserts.
How do we get the Leo Drolets slider inserts?

MVC-001S.jpg
Those are exactly the items I was looking for to impale myself on in a get off. :)

On the other hand your pegs look bitchin and very well done.

Back on topic. If you have the fold up the pegs that Wild Bill sells with the mounts, you probably won't have any issues with scraping. I bought mine from Ngarider and he had touched the mount down on the right side a few times. Keep in mind that he is a crazy nut and can damn near scrape one of the mirrors when going through the twisties!
I have 2 things to say here.

1) Mirrors? Hmm. Not the stock ones, but those big mirrors you have (FZ1 or something?) I could probably scrape! I did drag the exhaust on both sides in an emergency (on the 05). The touchdown point is right on the weld, too. But, let's just say chicken strips got nothin' on you either, pal!

2) Back on topic, I warned jwilly and I'll warn you. The wild bill mounts can be drug very easily in my experience. DO NOT leave the pegs on if you plan to lean the bike for fun and profit. he sells two kinds, one with a short 'bar' and one with a longer bar. If you have the longer bar, DANGER. The longer bar (bar being the part that mounts to the plate) will touch down right as the pegs do. This means you'll drag hard fastened parts. I've personally witnessed an FJR rider wad an 06 because of this (80mph get-off, pogo'd the rear end because of that stupid highway peg mount). He had the long bars, I had short. I had already drug my short ones, and took them off the bike (and sold to jwilly, who promised not to wad his bike).

Another note of caution... these are not bars. They are brackets that bolt to engine covers. I've had the engine cover breached & leaked oil because of these in a drop. I took them off not chancing an engine cover being ripped from my engine if, heaven forbid, something happens.

Another rider friend crashed because of the length of peg as described above. Also, he had the hose to the radiator sliced by the brackets when he low sided.

I would like get a pair of these and I am wondering how to go about it.
send an email to

[email protected]

I just got mine mounted last night. I had to oversize one hole the right side. I could get the bottom and middle bolt in, but then the top on wanted to crossthread. Or I could get the top and middle in, then the bottom wanted to crossthread. I drilled the top hole to 5/16" and then all was good. The left side fit prefect. I also drilled the peg holes out because I mounted kurykakyns.

I went with a little different setup them most. I used peg #7964, offset 7996, and extention 8064. The peg folds up the same as guys using the 7996 offset with the 8002 pegs, but when the peg is folded down it sticks out farther so I can put my foot on it without hitting the fairing. I will only use them for long straight roads though as turning with them down would be bad. Later today I will try to post some pictures.

Here's some pictures of my setup. I think it's very comfortable. I can put my feet on the pegs, or over to straighten out my knees for a while. Another benefit is I also get a lot me wind in the nether region to keep cooler.

Pegs up:

https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn53/br...pg?t=1214148818

pegs down:

https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn53/br...pg?t=1214148897

side views:

https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn53/br...pg?t=1214148932

https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn53/br...pg?t=1214148955

Just a quick note of caution .

My pegs are 7 inches total from the mount plates and I have already touched both of them in turns . I live in the flat-land of eastern North Carolina and I am a conservitave rider . I didn't think there would be a problem . I now know to keep the folded until I get out on the open road . They are a nice addition and I plan to keep them on .

I also made some stainless steel spacers because the aluminum spacers showed some evidence of colapsing .

I thought about these pegs and they look good. But I think they could damage the bike if it is dropped. So, when touring without a passenger and I need to stretch my legs I'll just move my butt to the passenger seat instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

I ordered the Wild Bill highway pegs and they are very well made and the service was great. However, after installing them, I found they were just too quick to touch down.

(My suspension is slightly..umm..gravity challenged.) :rolleyes:

So, I sent my OES sliders to Leo, so he could size them up for me. After a quick turn from Leo, I installed them today. They look great and clearance is not a problem. By the time they drag, I will have other problems to think about.

Two thumbs up to both Leo and Terry on the service. Both provided excellent communications and good quality products. I will just be a little more comfortable with Leo’s highway pegs. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I just got back from a 2000+ mile trip through the badlands, black hills, and devils tower over the last 4 days. I never touched the pegs down once, not even going through needles highway. I guess I'm just not as aggressive as some in corning.

Oh yeah, and they pegs were very comfortable. I think the trip was much easier with them. Especially the 920 miles I just did today coming home from deadwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW if you are going with the Kuryakin stuff and the WB pegs, consider passing them along to Garauld for powedercoating to match the engine cases...the payback is pretty short considering the elbow grease and chrome polish needed to keep those shiney things shiney...

Wild Bill hiway peg mounts with a special request for a 1/2" mounting hole. Also ordered the clevis w/ 1/2" -20 thread, #8015 and the Kuryakin #8025 pegs w/1" extension. Retracted they look like stock equipment and do not come close to touching down. Just need to remember when they are deployed...not a good thing recalling this as you are leaning it over for a tight one.

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

I have them and it's not unusual for me to scrape my pegs now and then and it has never caused a problem. However, when I am riding that way, I don't have my feet on the highway pegs-they are folde, out of the way. I suggest the same.