Will My Tires Make It To NAFO & Beyond....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old Pilot

Reaction score
6000 miles on my front PR2. Measured remaining tread depth to wear bars, have 2/32" = approx 1.6mm.

If my calculations are correct, it has 2700 miles of life left on it before I hit the wear bars. If I factor accelerated wear during the tire's end of life, say at 1.5 wear rate, the tire has only 1800 mi remaining.

But, the 6000 mi on the tire were ridden on Arkie chip & seal which takes its toll, so I think the accelerated wear issue is moot.

I'll be doing approx 2500 to 3000 miles on this trip. ARK--> Knoxville & vicinity--> BRP--> PA--> ARK. Half of that will be slabbing. I've decided it's good to go.

The rr PR2 has only 3000 miles on it, looking good, so no problemo with it.

Without seeing the tire, this is only speculation, but 3000 (ish), 1/2 slab? That'll take you to 9K? Go for it.

If you get antsy about it enroute, you can always spoon one on along the way.

My first set of PR2's got over 25,000 kms... that's something over 15,000 miles

I think you'll be fine.

One thing to remember... when they hit the wear bars, they mean it... cord starts showing up within a few hundred miles after that.

Griff

Personally, I'd spoon a new one on and save the used one for local riding after the new one is used up. The one you have will probably get you to NAFO and back safely but I like to have good rubber on the bike when I go to play in the Blueridge and Smoky mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd spoon a new one on and save the used one for local riding after the new one is used up. The one you have will probably get you to NAFO and back safely but I like to have good rubber on the bike when I go to play in the Blueridge and Smoky mountains.
I am 100% with Geezer on this one, change it out now old Pilot and you will have nothing to "sweat" on your NAFO Run. Maybe because Greg and Papa Chuy are "mature" (fecking old!) riders versus young studs like Griff: I always start a cross-country, or cross Mexico, trip with new skins; saving my "pre-runs" for when I get home, changing to the "pre-runs" for the local rides and commuting!

My first set of PR2's got over 25,000 kms... that's something over 15,000 miles
Same here Griff, I've gone through 2 sets of them, both went over 25Km., and both sets, had at least another 2-4Kkm left in them when they taken off before starting a long trip.

If you're even considering that they might not make it (which I assume you are since you posted about it), I'd change it out.

Go ahead and pop a new one on there. If nothing else, you:

1. Won't be worrying about your tire and will enjoy your rides more.

2. Won't miss any prime riding time waiting to have a new one put on while at NAFO.

That's all I have to say about that.

Decisions, decisions. Anyway, here is the 6000mi tire compared with a brand spankin new one.

IMG_0086.jpg

My opinion, change them now on your terms.

Or.... lets look at it this way.

Think of it as insurance. Is it worth it to spend $220 and know you'll make it to NAFO (and back), or is it worth it to gamble, and try it and see if you might? If you need tires on the road, you'll probably pay around $500 minimum for removal, mounting, and balancing, etc., plus you may get stranded somewhere or have no place to get tires. :dribble:

Or do you spend the $220 now, and replace the tires a little early, which you'd do anyway? You decide..... :blink:

Good luck either way.

replace it and keep the old one for future use
not to jinx anything, but I want fresh rubber on a trip to keep the rain gawds away (or cope with 'em)
Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's Friday and I've been meaning to ask Patriot Mike this for a week: How is the UPS truck fender skirt fringe project going on your FJR? Any pictures? Any new air horns?

I am 100% with Geezer on this one, change it out now old Pilot and you will have nothing to "sweat" on your NAFO Run. Maybe because Greg and Papa Chuy are "mature" (fecking old!) riders versus young studs like Griff: I always start a cross-country, or cross Mexico, trip with new skins; saving my "pre-runs" for when I get home, changing to the "pre-runs" for the local rides and commuting!
I am 200% with geezer and beemer guy.

I know that everyone has different opinions and results with the various tires, but my experience with PR2s is that they lose some of their grip long before they are worn through. I have a set on my bike right now because of their high mileage potential, but half used ones will not stick as well as a fresh set and the roads in NAFO territory are a lot more fun with sticky tires.

Dude! Don't be a pansy!

You could go to NAFO and back 3 times with those tires!

Bunch of old women in this thread. Cripes, you better get a brand new FJR for the trip. Just in case!

Dude! Don't be a pansy!

Bunch of old women in this thread. Cripes, you better get a brand new FJR for the trip. Just in case!
+1 I did a 5K ride with a tire that looked much worse. I figured I would never know the PR 2's limits

until I pushed one to its limits. My front is going on 21K has seen 49 states and I am STILL asking

myself your same question. Now I have 3 front tires in the garage, that I replaced too soon, that I

will now remount and WEAR out. BUTT I am a cheap one... :lol:

I know that everyone has different opinions and results with the various tires, but my experience with PR2s is that they lose some of their grip long before they are worn through. I have a set on my bike right now because of their high mileage potential, but half used ones will not stick as well as a fresh set and the roads in NAFO territory are a lot more fun with sticky tires.
Gunny...Listen to this guy ^^^^^^^WISE

Dude! Don't be a pansy!

NOT this guy. ^^^^^^^ FOOL

:D :****:

Gunny...Listen to this guy ^^^^^^^WISE

Dude! Don't be a pansy!

NOT this guy. ^^^^^^^ FOOL DIPSHIT!

:D :****:
Wheatie mi Amigo, fixed it for you!

Bungie, I really just can't understand this, you and I both weigh the same and my PR2 tires only lasted 10K miles. I mean, you do weigh 265 pounds don't you? That's 120.5 Kgs in Canuckian Speak!

PR2 Front tire @ 15,534 miles:
IMG_0869.jpg

PR2 Rear @ 15,534 miles

IMG_0870.jpg

Latest posts