Wind noise in starcomm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well finally it looks like I have eliminated the wind noise from the passengers mic: (1) added a chin curtain to my wife's Scorpion EXO-700 helmet (Iuse one on my Shoei as well). (2) set mic 2 (passenger's mic) sensitivity all the way to the right (my mic sensitivity is set in the 12 o'clock position which the manual refers to as "normal" setting.) (3) turned to VOX setting just a hair to the right so we can speak into the system without it cutting the music out. (4) used the source (i-pod, sirius) to control the volume as much as possible before turning the Starcom up too much - the Starcom volume is about 20%.
It took us several attempts - and trying to use a logical process of elimination - to get it right: but we're finally wind noise free.

Thanks for the follow up on your experiences, Harlan. I need to investigate getting a chin curtain, or different helmet, for Joann.

In the section that I highlighted above, is "all the way to the right" fully CCW or fully CW? I was thinking that the sensitivity controls were at minimum at full CCW. That was my experience so far anyway. But I am certainly open to suggestions

I, too, did some fiddling with the settings on mine, and we subsequently took a week long bike trip with 2-bike, both 2-up, that was highly successful. The comm systems on the 2 bikes was a real boon to enjoying the trip. Most days we would start out with no tunes, but then most days we'd have something as a pick-me up in the afternoons. My wife's headset was still picking up wind noise, especially any kind of cross winds, even on the back roads if we were riding much more than 50 mph.

I found that with my earplugs really well seated for max attenuation, the small amount of noise cutting in and out didn't bother me. If the earplugs were not attenuating well, then the wind noise in the intercomm became annoying. Really annoying. :glare:

Well finally it looks like I have eliminated the wind noise from the passengers mic: (1) added a chin curtain to my wife's Scorpion EXO-700 helmet (Iuse one on my Shoei as well). (2) set mic 2 (passenger's mic) sensitivity all the way to the right (my mic sensitivity is set in the 12 o'clock position which the manual refers to as "normal" setting.) (3) turned to VOX setting just a hair to the right so we can speak into the system without it cutting the music out. (4) used the source (i-pod, sirius) to control the volume as much as possible before turning the Starcom up too much - the Starcom volume is about 20%.
It took us several attempts - and trying to use a logical process of elimination - to get it right: but we're finally wind noise free.

Thanks for the follow up on your experiences, Harlan. I need to investigate getting a chin curtain, or different helmet, for Joann.

In the section that I highlighted above, is "all the way to the right" fully CCW or fully CW? I was thinking that the sensitivity controls were at minimum at full CCW. That was my experience so far anyway. But I am certainly open to suggestions

I, too, did some fiddling with the settings on mine, and we subsequently took a week long bike trip with 2-bike, both 2-up, that was highly successful. The comm systems on the 2 bikes was a real boon to enjoying the trip. Most days we would start out with no tunes, but then most days we'd have something as a pick-me up in the afternoons. My wife's headset was still picking up wind noise, especially any kind of cross winds, even on the back roads if we were riding much more than 50 mph.

I found that with my earplugs really well seated for max attenuation, the small amount of noise cutting in and out didn't bother me. If the earplugs were not attenuating well, then the wind noise in the intercomm became annoying. Really annoying. :glare:
Fred, I found that with my system the two controls worked opposite of each other. If I turn the control for my Mic CW the sensitivity increased but for my wife's Mic I had to turn the control CCW :dntknw:

Fred, I found that with my system the two controls worked opposite of each other. If I turn the control for my Mic CW the sensitivity increased but for my wife's Mic I had to turn the control CCW :dntknw:
[Mr Burns]

Excellent!!

[/Mr Burns]

My... that is intuitive, eh?

I will certainly try it.

And, Thank You Both!!!!!

(start thinking about what beers you want to cash in on...)

Have the Passenger Mic setting fully CW - I thought it would make it "more sensitive" too - but it doesn't appear real clear on first read through the manual. These units are produced in the UK and those jerk-offs put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car so who knows.

I did notice too that the position of the FJR's windsheild played a part in eliminating some of the wind noise and dirty air. I think you have to fool around with different variables on the bike, helmet, and system to get it right.

One other note of interest that I believe may be an important variable: Lori's uses the helmet speakers while I use a pair of ER6 ear phones. This allows me to back off the volume/balance on my set and push hers up a little more - so I have the overall system volume at about 20% - and as Fred suggested increase the input volume from the source - then have the Starcom balanced back more toward the passenger with the helmet speakers- she claims her helmet is fairly quiet to begin with and would rather have the helmet speakers - I'm assuming that's probably true because wind-wise she's protected by me and get less air overall.