Windscreen question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I added the CalSci XL to my 2010 a few weeks back. Should be adequate for winter here in the SE US.

Of interest to me is how much movement I'm seeing in the windscreen linkage AND simultanious movement in the instrument cluster. typically, i run pretty fast and generally run with the screen in the lower position unless i'm in rain.

This is somewhat concerning and I wonder if others see similar effects with larger screens.

Clearly the screen linkage and the instrument pod are somehow attached to similar structural parts inside the nose fairings. (i've not had the nose cone off yet)

I appreciate any wisdom and feedback the collective is willing to provide. should i be concerned?

(posted this in another thread, probably out of line, and it didn't get much traffic, so thought i'd throw it back out there)

Thanks....

I'd be concerned with exaggerated instrument cluster movement as well (unless there is a huge difference in Gen 1 vs Gen 2 mounting of the instrument cluster). I run a Rifle windscreen and get some enhanced windshield bracket movement, but the subframe for the nose remains solid and keeps the instrument cluster pretty steady.

I haven't really noticed any instrument cluster movement, either with the CalSci windshield that came with my bike (either an XL or XXL) or with the even larger Cee Bailey windshield I have now.

My 2006 with the Calsci shield acts in a similar fashion.

As far as I know the previous owner bought this shield in 2007 and used it as his preferred shield for longer trips.

I have been using it for the close to two years I had the bike as well for 8 out of 10 months riding season last year, and for 2 out of 3 months this year for the little bit of riding I could get inbetween my consecutive tib/fib fractures.

So far there does not seem to be any extra wear as a result of this, and with my self-made mini screen I put on late this summer all the extra movement is gone again.

The biggest difference I've seen in the cluster bounce though was not shield related. I had my overly worn front forks on a hard setting to keep the bike from diving too much during braking, plus not feeling so loose in the corners, and the cluster bounce was clearly the worst in that setting. After having the forks reworked, I put them on a gentler setting again which quieted the bounce dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someguy - Are you running the "tuning block" in it?

I have heard of some who have had other large windscreens get buffeting and having the shield hit the fairing and rub paint off.

Also known is running too big of a spacer or tuning block on the bracket for Gen1's will move the cluster when fully upright, to fix that, just don't put it up all the way.

I have not heard of the cluster actually moving with just a larger windscreen. Do you possibly have a broken front cage holding the cluster/fairing? :unsure:

thanks guys for the input.

Stig, i'm running the Calsci straight on the mounting bracket. no tuning block. i mounted it with the factory screws that came out of the factory screen. thats it.

the clearance in all positions is good as there has been no change to the linkage in any way.

and by movement, i'm not talking much, but about 2-3 mm up and down. the gap around the top of the pod opens up a but at speed as the screen pushes back on the linkage and movement stays in that range. i can move the pod by pulling the screen toward me while in the cockpit. obviously there are some mounting points under the nose that are shared...

just didn't want to ignore something important... i noticed the movement in the screen and simultaneous movement in the instruments only after i mounted the calsci, not with the factory screen, so maybe it was there and i just missed it.

maybe i should open up the nose and take a peek in there and just make sure everything is tight... (seems kind of daunting to me, probly easier than i imagine?)

or maybe i should let the dealer do this... i happen to have a dealer mechanic that actually seems to know what they are doing... imagine that

maybe i should open up the nose and take a peek in there and just make sure everything is tight... (seems kind of daunting to me, probly easier than i imagine?)

or maybe i should let the dealer do this... i happen to have a dealer mechanic that actually seems to know what they are doing... imagine that
My new feej lost one of the outer fairing bolts, probably because it wasn't snugged up sufficiently at the factory. Afterward, I checked ALL the tupperware fasteners, and found two of the inner bolts had come completely off, and were sitting down inside the fairing :blink:

The plastic windscreen bolts were loose, too -- one to the point where it was nearly off!

Opening the nose isn't all that difficult. There's a pictorial how-to here

The '10 and '11 are slightly different from the '06 shown in the article, but mostly the same.

Take your time, and keep note of the various fasteners.

And don't over-tighten anything!

Last edited by a moderator: