Windscreens again...I got to do it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 6'-6" tall and my '07 came with a V-stream from the previous owner. I have to get down to the crotch rocket position with the windshield all the way up in order to get away from the noise. I just ordered the large Cee Bailey and will report on that when I get it installed.

The Vario screen from Twisted Throttle looks interesting because of it's adjustments.
Now that is an interesting looking shield! See it here

I too would be interest to know if anyone currently has this shield or has expierence with it in the past.

I purchased a Rifle last year. I will give it an okay rating. It does a good job at making a quiet pocket for me if I put it all the way up, but it sure does seem to buffet quite a bit. I noticed the bike gets "squirrley" (no pun intended) at 80+ MPH with the Rifle on. Up until now I have been mulling over cutting relief holes (like in the Cal. Sci.) in the Rifle,or just buying a Cal. Sci. and selling the Rifle.

Think I will wait to see if anyone here responds to the Vario question...

I'm 6'1" (36" inseam) the YamahaTouring windscreen didn't trip my switch, so I cut down my Cal-Sci large to the medium height with a Rifle tuning block and am a happy camper! The tuning block was purchased here on the forum for under $20 w/ shipping IIRC. As with any farkle, one man's nirvina is another man's PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 6'0" with a 32 " inseam and I purchased the Calsci XL which as one size larger than their recommendation chart. The reasons I purchased one size larger are as follows.

1- Up here in Saskatchewan the spring and fall can be pretty cold out and I want to prolong my riding season as much as possible.

2- During the "hot months" I will go back to the stock shield.

The stock shield is very loud for me also, ear plugs are mandatory for longer rides. It is not bad in the down position but when it is 2/3rds of the way up or more it really howls. I installed the Calsci and noticed a HUGE difference right away. It still seems to flow enough air in the down position for some cooling but out on the highway you just have to raise it up about a third of the way and everything goes silent. Ear plugs are no longer needed and you get to enjoy the sweet sound of that big inline 4. I hit a good rainstorm on the first test drive and I was a dry as you can be on a motorcycle doing 70 mph in the rain. I was worried about the size of the shield causing problems to the lift and mount mechanism but the first ride was in a blustery day with 40-55 mph cross winds and no troubles. Long story short I am very happy with the Calsci, it delivered on the promises and Mark is a great guy, got to talk to him personally, he really cares about the products he sells. I considered the Rifle but I found the cost a little too high for a cheap old man such as myself. lol

Just an FYI my 2010 had plastic screws to hold windshield in place. On the way to sturgis last year it fell of while being towed cause of the wind..damm wyoming. I went to ACE bought metric screws etc with heavy duty plastic washers to make sure the metal does not damage the windshield. If you are going to change the windshield might want to think of making this change only a few dollars in parts at local hardware store.

I.m using the Vstream and even at full height it makes a lot of noise,earplugs are a must. This is my third

screen and I don't want to buy another.Has anyone used the Rifle tuning blocks(or angle optimisers) with the

Vstream? And if so,where can I get them?

Thanks.

Has anybody tried the OEM Touring windshield from Yamaha? I'm a Yamaha employee and would rather get this one (only if it works well) than paying retail for the others.. I'm 6'2"

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelscitemdetail/5/180/532/2361/2011/1/6934/0/0/detail.aspx
I tried the Touring shield and after about 2 minutes knew it wasn't going to work for me. Noisy, seemed to have quite a bit of flex to it and that alone bothered me...watching the shield move around, couldn't take it.

If you are wanting to buy it because it is a Yamaha shield, don't. After close inspection of mine, I seen a NC stamped on it - Made by National Cycle not Yamaha. If it was made close to the same quality as the stock FJR shield it may have worked for me, but it isn't even close. I guess that is why you can find them for around $90 new.

I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and went with a Rifle +3 tall/ +4 wide in clear. It's on the UPS truck as we speak so obviously I haven't put it on yet. I'm getting excited. Agreed on the stock windshield. It is so loud that even with earplugs my ears ring after an all day ride. There are a couple of items on the forum that almost everyone loves. Russell seats, Helibars, and Rifle windshields. I've got the Russell seat and Helibar and absolutely love both of them. I have high hopes for the Rifle as well based on the general consensus that most everyone on the forum seems to like them.

For what it's worth, I've tried the following (I', 5'11" with 32" inseam):

1. Stock shield

- Holy crap this sucks. Buffeting and noise worse than any I have tried.

2. Cee Bailys +4

- Much better, but still too much buffeting and noise in all but full up

3. Cut down stocker

- no buffeting, somewhat loud, but useless as a windshield

4. V-Stream

- Best one yet. Least amount of buffeting and noise.

5. Tuning spacers (to tilt shield)

- No buffeting, noisy only when shields are down, so wear earplugs. Makes any shield better.

Thus ... for the money, start with putting some spacers under there to tilt the shield and then see what you need.

Just an FYI my 2010 had plastic screws to hold windshield in place. On the way to sturgis last year it fell of while being towed cause of the wind..damm wyoming. I went to ACE bought metric screws etc with heavy duty plastic washers to make sure the metal does not damage the windshield. If you are going to change the windshield might want to think of making this change only a few dollars in parts at local hardware store.
This has been discussed in the forum before - theory is that the plastic screws are there to allow the shield to break away in case of an accident, reducing damage to you or the windshield mechanism.

More importantly ... what's the deal with towing it? Do you wear chaps too?

For what it's worth, I've tried the following (I', 5'11" with 32" inseam):

1. Stock shield

- Holy crap this sucks. Buffeting and noise worse than any I have tried.

2. Cee Bailys +4

- Much better, but still too much buffeting and noise in all but full up

3. Cut down stocker

- no buffeting, somewhat loud, but useless as a windshield

4. V-Stream

- Best one yet. Least amount of buffeting and noise.

5. Tuning spacers (to tilt shield)

- No buffeting, noisy only when shields are down, so wear earplugs. Makes any shield better.

Thus ... for the money, start with putting some spacers under there to tilt the shield and then see what you need.
Did that Cee Bailey shield have the reverse flip? I'm asking because apparantly that makes it a completely different shield. I have a +2 high flip shield and really like it for summer use. I also hated the stock one.

I.m using the Vstream and even at full height it makes a lot of noise,earplugs are a must. This is my third

screen and I don't want to buy another.Has anyone used the Rifle tuning blocks(or angle optimisers) with the

Thanks.
You can try tipping the shield back for free (almost free if you don't have a supply of washers in your garage). Using a small stack of washers and longer screws in the windshield arm attachment, you can adjust the amount of angle of the stock shield. It does make a difference, although it wasn't enough for me. Search the forum for skyway spacers for a picture of where to install the washers. Don't try buying them from Skyway because he's no longer in business.

Thanks.
You can try tipping the shield back for free (almost free if you don't have a supply of washers in your garage). Using a small stack of washers and longer screws in the windshield arm attachment, you can adjust the amount of angle of the stock shield. It does make a difference, although it wasn't enough for me. Search the forum for skyway spacers for a picture of where to install the washers. Don't try buying them from Skyway because he's no longer in business.
Have you tried tipping your cee bailey back? I have a +3 w/flip and get some turbulence and wondered if this would help.

I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and went with a Rifle +3 tall/ +4 wide in clear. It's on the UPS truck as we speak so obviously I haven't put it on yet. I'm getting excited. Agreed on the stock windshield. It is so loud that even with earplugs my ears ring after an all day ride. There are a couple of items on the forum that almost everyone loves. Russell seats, Helibars, and Rifle windshields. I've got the Russell seat and Helibar and absolutely love both of them. I have high hopes for the Rifle as well based on the general consensus that most everyone on the forum seems to like them.

OK, I just wanted to follow-up on a earlier post regarding the Rifle windshield. First my stats: 6'2" tall with 33" inseam and 200 lbs. I went with a relatively short +3" +4" Rifle because I like to look over the windshield not through the windshield while riding. The quality of the shield is excellent. Very thick, nicely polished and finished. The positioning blocks were also a lot more heavy duty than I expected. Made from metal and nicely finished. I sorta thought they'd be nylon but they're not. The shield installed without a hitch. Everything lines up very well. Then I gave it a little 10 mile test ride because it was raining pretty hard. All I can say is WOW. What an absolute improvement in air management! With the shield all the way up I just look over the top of it which is perfect for me. The wind seems to go right over my helmet and I didn't feel any buffeting. I'll need to ride it more to be sure on that one. Regarding noise... OMG this thing is seriously quiet. It easily dropped the noise level by 50%, maybe more. I don't hear any wind noise to speak of and I can actually hear my V&H exhaust which has a nice quiet rumble at about 4G's. Who knew. I'll obviously need to put some time on the new shield but at first blush it seems absolutely perfect for me.

Thanks.
Have you tried tipping your cee bailey back? I have a +3 w/flip and get some turbulence and wondered if this would help.
I installed spacers (7mm thickness) on my windshield arm shortly after I got the bike back in 07 and haven't removed them. My CB +2 with flip (stock width) shield does have some turbulence when riding behind certain cars/trucks, but it's mostly calm otherwise. For the price of this mod, it's worth trying to see if it helps - it's not like plunking down another $150 for a new shield! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: