Windshield Choices - Need Advice !!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolride

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]Hey all - [/SIZE]

I've just purchased a 2006 FJR that came with a Cee Baileys domed top +6. The windshield has all the aerodynamics of a barn door and at highway speeds I get quite a bit of movement at the top of the shield if it is raised at all. I also get quite a bit of turbulence at the shoulders. I've done a lot of reading on the forum regarding aftermarket windshields and I realize that choices are very rider-dependent, but I'd like to get some input from some of you that have tried some of the options I'm looking at.

I'm 6'1" and don't usually ride with a passenger (wife has her own wheels !!), so pillion turbulence isn't an issue. I'm fairly broad shouldered so I do notice quite a bit of turbulence from my existing Cee Bailey screen.

Think I've narrowed my choices to a Cee Bailey +4+4 with Flip, or a VStream shield. Seems like from comments I've read that the "flip" is worth 2" of added height, but the VStream seems to yield better upper body protection and cleaner air for pillion. Yeah the proof of the pudding will be to purchase and install, but I'd sure like to hit the mark first time around. Being from a cold clime state, obviously protection is pretty important and I really don't need to worry about getting too warm !!

Any thoughts from you 6-footers would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks much.

I'm 6'2" (34" inseam) and I really like the Yammy Tall that was installed on the bike from the previous owner. I ride all the time with it at the lowest position and it is perfect for me. I do raise it in rain and cold and it protects me well. I have had a hankerin' to try the CalSci shield though.

I have a v-stream and it is great for the cold weather. I am a size (edit)50 jacket and it keeps my shoulders covered pretty well. I usually ride with it in the down position or just up a tad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought an '08. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. I ride with the seat in the lower position (for now, while commuting. 2500+ mile ride coming, we'll see if I switch). I found the stock screen to be terrible. My Concours had a flip screen, and the pillion turbulence was bad. I test rode a friends '06 FJR with a VStream before buying my bike. I didn't like the slight buffetting in my mid-section with the V-Strom (shoulders and helmet area coverage was good).

As I had a Rifle on my Concours, I just got a Rifle (+3" I believe) and find I really like it. Though I can't compare to any others. The Rifle is wider and provides really clean (quiet) air which is what I was looking for. On the downside, the large surface area is bound to mean a slight reduction in mileage compared to smaller shields.

I like to ride looking over the fairing, with my visor up but in quiet air. I don't have to raise the screen half-way up to get clean, quiet air, slightly more with wife on the back for her.

As you stated already, you've done your research. So, I'm not sure what more you expect to gleam from this thread.

That being said, I'm 6'3-6'4,sit tall in the saddle and am extremely pleased with my Vstream. All the way down I get plenty of fresh air. All the way up and I can ride without earplugs. (though I still put them in) Quiet calm air with only a touch of back pressure if I sit too far back. Move up an inch, all is fine.

Best thing, the Vstream, while large, is less of a barn door than a CeeBaily +(insert size here)

Let's face it. Except for the vertically challenged, the stock screen is more about maintaining the lines of the bike than accomplishing any aerodynamics. Anything is an improvement. Good luck

I test rode a friends '06 FJR with a VStrom before buying my bike. I didn't like the slight buffetting in my mid-section with the V-Strom (shoulders and helmet area coverage was good).
I wish I could have seen this one. Those VStroms are HEAVY. And you can't see through 'em. Might deflect the wind some, but prolly screwed up your handling somethin' awful.

Or did you mean a VStream?

Really liked my large CalSci on the last bike. Too bad I busted the hell out of it (along with the whole rest of the bike). And too bad I got such a good deal on a used VStream that I couldn't resist. But if you get a chance to test ride a bike with the CalSci, take it, before you decide on anything else. And read the whole page I linked. Some excellent info about windscreen "flips" and Von Karman Vortices an' shit like that. (He's an engineer. Can't help how he talks).

I've got a gen 1 bike and therefore this may not apply to many of you but I have to report in on the Calsci windshield I've been using this season. I had been using a Cee Bailey, std contour +4+4 for the last four years and never thought it performed as good as it should have.

When my buddy had ordered his new C14 he asked about aftermarket windshileds. In the process of researching for him I read alot of info at the Concours forum and of course I've been gather wisdom from riders experiences here regarding all the aftermarket windshiled options. What I read made me look deeper into the Calsci screens.

I ended up buying the Calsci XL (+6) for my '05 FJR. I decided to buy perhaps a little bigger than needed that just to short (which was one of the issues with the CB). I think the biggest benefit of the Calsci is the aerodynamics. It is noticeably quieter and exhibits much less buffeting than the CB. Reading the info on the Calsci website can help explain. But the real proof is in the ride.

At normal highway speeds the I just notice quiet and smooth. At over the century mark just the same. With the CB at about 110-120 the bike would start a slow un-nerving side to side weave. Especially with the topcase on. Now I don't do this very often. but the point is that the bike doesn't do it with the Calsci mounted. I think this is a product of greatly improved aerodynamics of the Calsci. The biggest payoff however, in my mind is the quieter ride with essentially no buffeting. I think this will reduce rider fatigue greatly during a long ride.

FYI, I use earplugs. Even so the noise improvement is noticeable.

I recommend earplugs to every who rides. If I had started using them 30 years ago instead of 5 years ago, maybe I wouldn't suffer tinitus now. Howard Leight disposable foams ones. work great!

Because the windshield is about 2" taller than the CB, I ride with it in the down position. Almost always. I thought I would be trrimming down by now but I've grown pretty accustomed to it. Maybe when the warm weather hits I'll be taking it to the band saw. If so I'll report in.

I had quite a conversation with Mark at Calsci before I purchased the shield. He's a very knowlegable guy and pleasant to talk to. If you're on the fence about buying or can't decide the size, give him a call.

I've been very happy with this purchase.

Coolride - if you'd like to try a Vstream for free* go to the Classifieds and look for a thread started by Fencer. I just checked and that thread is still on the first page.

You can't keep it, but you can get your hands on it and give it a try.

FWIW - I like my Vstream on my GenI.

Best thing, the Vstream, while large, is less of a barn door than a CeeBaily +(insert size here)
Let's face it. Except for the vertically challenged, the stock screen is more about maintaining the lines of the bike than accomplishing any aerodynamics. Anything is an improvement. Good luck
The Cee Bailey is available in many sizes other than "barn door" size. I have a stock width one that's only 2" taller with flip. This shield looks really nice on the bike (unlike the Vstream that I also own) and greatly reduces buffeting. I can't ride with the stock shield raised up due to the horrible buffeting, but that small CB shield works good.

Before anyone thinks I don't like the Vstream, let me say that it's a great winter or touring shield. The extra width and shape work great to block air for me and my wife on long trips (or just me when commuting during cold winter rides).

There are many opinions regarding windshields, I guess they vary with the rider's needs and height (I'm 5'9" and shrinking with age). I've used many over the years on different bikes. The V-Stream for me is the best so far of several (Calsci, Cee Bailey, stock and large Yamaha, and Rifle with the spacers) that I've used on the FJR.

Here's why I like it. The shape of the V-Stream is patterned after those on BMW's I owned years ago. The top is wider than the base, and as such tends to deflect wind around the shoulders. The shape of the shield is a complex form, curving back as well as sideways, which seems to gradually turn the oncoming wind to the sides (in a vortex according to National Cycle), as well as up, rather than forcing the airflow to change direction abruptly like a flatter shield does.

It must do something right, as mine collects fewer Alaskan bugs than the headlight area on my FJR, and I get fewer bug hits on my glasses when wearing an open face helmet. Concentrated bug splatters are a sign of relatively stagnant air not flowing smoothly around an object. The leading edges of aircraft wings and auto headlights, where airflow is stagnant, are other examples of great bug collectors.

The V-Stream is the first shield of the bunch that's allowed me to look well over the top without airflow buffeting my helmet. I like the ability to see the road close-up while sitting in calm air.

Gary in Fairbanks

There are many opinions regarding windshields, I guess they vary with the rider's needs and height (I'm 5'9" and shrinking with age). I've used many over the years on different bikes. The V-Stream for me is the best so far of several (Calsci, Cee Bailey, stock and large Yamaha, and Rifle with the spacers) that I've used on the FJR.
Here's why I like it. The shape of the V-Stream is patterned after those on BMW's I owned years ago. The top is wider than the base, and as such tends to deflect wind around the shoulders. The shape of the shield is a complex form, curving back as well as sideways, which seems to gradually turn the oncoming wind to the sides (in a vortex according to National Cycle), as well as up, rather than forcing the airflow to change direction abruptly like a flatter shield does.

It must do something right, as mine collects fewer Alaskan bugs than the headlight area on my FJR, and I get fewer bug hits on my glasses when wearing an open face helmet. Concentrated bug splatters are a sign of relatively stagnant air not flowing smoothly around an object. The leading edges of aircraft wings and auto headlights, where airflow is stagnant, are other examples of great bug collectors.

The V-Stream is the first shield of the bunch that's allowed me to look well over the top without airflow buffeting my helmet. I like the ability to see the road close-up while sitting in calm air.

Gary in Fairbanks

Thanks Gary - as an Alaskan, we get the opportunity to ride on lots of cool days, so the added protection of the VStream on the shoulders would prove nice. Seems like the VStream is curved better so as to reduce the turbulence I now get with the domed top CB which only has a slight curvature to it- I seem to get LOTS of movement at the top of the shield which isn't desireable and seems like it'll potentially fatigue to brackets etc.

I'm definitely leaning to the VStream thanks to input like yours......appreciate taking time to reply. BTW, were you the one who added your endorsement to the Heli bars triple clamp ? I'm looking at Heli's product or Motorcyclelarry's. Did you use the added risers with the heli clamp ?

Thanks again - ride safe.

The Cee Bailey is available in many sizes other than "barn door" size. I have a stock width one that's only 2" taller with flip. This shield looks really nice on the bike (unlike the Vstream that I also own) and greatly reduces buffeting. I can't ride with the stock shield raised up due to the horrible buffeting, but that small CB shield works good.

Before anyone thinks I don't like the Vstream, let me say that it's a great winter or touring shield. The extra width and shape work great to block air for me and my wife on long trips (or just me when commuting during cold winter rides).

Harald;

Thanks for the feedback - great to hear from those that have tried both options I'm considering. I'll admit, the CB flip does look better on the bike from pics posted on the forum, but I'm battling over function vs. form. The CB "barn door" (think they call it the "standard contour") that I have is not the flip - it's a +6 and may work well on aircraft but not the FJR !! I'm thinking a CB +4 flip would suffice for my height, allow me to direct wind over my head when raised up, and provide a good bubble of quiet air behind the screen - maybe I'm dreaming but that's what I'd like to have.

I know it's real subjective and some day may have both screens in my garage like you. Does sound like you like the performance of the VStream as a touring screen perhaps better than the CB but it's bit more obtrusive looking ?

Thanks again for taking the time................

Another satisfied VStream owner...

It sounds as if you've done your research and are already leaning towards the VStream but acknowledging that windshields are very subjective, for my build (6'0"; 210 lbs) and with the taller Russell seat, I find the VStream ideal for what I wanted. At the lower positions the windshield still provides an adequate amount of cooling air for the warmer days while moving around a minimal amount. At the highest position I find the windshield nearly silences all windnoise and puts me in a "bubble" with minimal to no backpressure. In the high position however at speeds approaching or exceeding 80mph the upper portions of the shield will move around a little more than expected. I've found this to apparently be normal and hasn't been any problems for the past year or so of use. In general however, regardless of the position, the airflow around the windshield feels to be very smooth with no buffeting.

On a different note, I noticed your question or consideration about Heli-bar risers. As I don't have a set yet, I'm currently on the list for the group buy on this forum and am very hopeful that it should add some more comfort than what I'm getting with just Genmar risers based upon the research I've done on this forum. If you're considering the Heli-bars, you might want to consider the current group buy and save 15%. Just my $0.02.

I'm 5'9" and have tried the yamahs touring shield which is 2" wider and 4" higher. When full up in was RIGHT in my line of sight. Then I tried the Medium and Large Cal Sci. The Meduim was as good and the stocker and the large when full up caused MORE head buffetting than the stocker.

Now I was thinking of trying the CB screen plus 2" with the flip. Not sure what the return ploicy is so you should check it first BEFORE placing the order.

Rob