Windshield comparo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running a CalSci Medium for a couple of years now. This past August I put on the Rifle Tuning Block under it. Nirvana! Even better, in the full down position the wind hits me mid-torso. It was GREAT crossing the desert at 105F on our epic ride. Even better, the same windshield full up kept me cozy and warm when it was 45F and raining in Michigan.

No need to consider any others as I'm REAL happy with the CalSci + Tuning block.

ceebailey 4+4 gave me buffeting and it cracked, then the yama tall with the laminar lip, same problem plus it was difficult to look thru. then i got an ex-large Cal Sci, end of all problems. bloody nice to look thru too.
I'm really surprised to hear that a Cee Bailey shield cracked! Mine is very stout.

Was the Cee Bailey you had one with the flip (reverse contour)? I'm curious because most people that didn't like the Cee Bailey got one without the flip. The flip makes a huge difference in my experience.
no it was a plain 4/4. i bought it used and the crack is at the middle mounting hole. i had just sold it to someone on here and had to refund his money. :rolleyes:

I have the Cal-Sci medium on my '06 FJR. Forget about the stock windscreen, you will never put it back on. :rolleyes:
Well, I don't quite agree... I love the Calsci I have for cooler and cold weather, but I wanted more air for the hotter summer days BELOW the top of my helmet. I am 5'11" BTW, and I usually keep the seat on the low position. So I put a stock shield on a few months ago for that reason, but now it's definitely time to change back to the Calsci again, summer is officially over after these next nice days, and I think we'll be skipping fall entirely this year and go directly to early winter... :blink: Damn that La Nina!!!

Re crack in Cee Bailey windscreen: cracks at a mounting hole are almost always caused by overtightening the screws. Tighten them just barely snug, so the windshield cannot be moved around by hand, and that's all. Use two fingers on the screwdriver. This isn't a lugnut on a Peterbilt!

The above statements are my opinion only, which my wife will tell you aren't worth much. :blink: Your results may vary.

pete

Re crack in Cee Bailey windscreen: cracks at a mounting hole are almost always caused by overtightening the screws. Tighten them just barely snug, so the windshield cannot be moved around by hand, and that's all. Use two fingers on the screwdriver. This isn't a lugnut on a Peterbilt!

The above statements are my opinion only, which my wife will tell you aren't worth much. :blink: Your results may vary.

pete
i think thats what happened.

Also not interested in a windshield collection!!!! I ride with ear plugs all the time, 6'1" and 34" inseam. Stock screen is just OK when down (kinda warm) but when up there is a big vacuum behind the windscreen that sucks my jacket forward and also draws up even more engine heat, along with more noise and buffeting. Tried the lip and didn't care for it (any interest?), then tried cutting off 4" of the stock screen as someone said it worked for them, again fine when down but unsatisfactory when up - noise, vacuum, buffeting. My 04 GSX-R750 had much better aero properties - no complaints at all, obviously less weather protection. I was thinking of fabricating a double-bubble style windscreen and trying that, maybe leaving the motorized adjustable unit off the bike, although when disconnected it seems the neutral indicator light and gear indicator for N doesn't work?! What do you think of the more curved style screen for better flow and less vertical would create less turbulence? Does such a design exist or has anyone ever tried something like that?

Thanks in advance.

Eric