Windshield GPS mounts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportourer

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently acquired an 07 Gen 2 and I am in the process of farkling it. I have done a lot of searching and have not found many options for mounting a GPS up near the windshield in the line of sight. I run more than one GPS's so I like to have one of them in my line of sight. I have acquired an N-Line dash shelf but I don't think I want to use it. It seems very large and overkill for mounting just one GPS. I found this on here and it is a lot like what I have in mind:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/124242-gps-mounting-on-stem/?p=675805

Does anyone know if there is or was something like this available? I am assuming this was a one off custom made piece. I had to make all the mounts for my ST1100 so I may end up doing that. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something out there that would work first.

Alex Schmitt
Bethel, NY
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280

Alex welcome to the forum!

I think you are right about the custom build of that mount.

You don't like the clutch mounted GPS location? Other than that, look in the "Group buy" section and you will find a Ram-Bone Mount option.

Can't post the link (A no no)from that section. If you get the Tall version and a long extension from Ram, I think you would have the line of sight

mount that you are looking for.

Here are some extension mounting options to give you an idea:

https://www.rammount.com/SearchResults/tabid/38/searchBy/description/criteria/069088084069078083073079078032065082077/Default.aspx

Make sure you pick up a "Big Foot" if you haven't already.

Once again welcome!

Welcome, Alex :)

I have an N/Line dash shelf on my FJR for my two GPS, detector, and switches. If I were to do it all over, I would use reservoir and stem mounted ram balls with appropriate length arms, as the dash shelf vibrates to much for my taste.

windshield is going to go uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup and doooooooooooooooooooooooooown . put it on the stem or brake mount.

Welcome, Alex
smile.png

I have an N/Line dash shelf on my FJR for my two GPS, detector, and switches. If I were to do it all over, I would use reservoir and stem mounted ram balls with appropriate length arms, as the dash shelf vibrates to much for my taste.
I also have an N/Line, and prefer that puts my GPS, etc. more up in the field of vision without looking down. I'd do it again. Understand the vibration..... check that the front tab (where they give you dual-loc) is actually attached. Either zip-tie it to the nose fairing, or drill a hole and put in a threaded rubber insert to hold that tab. Cuts the vibes considerably.

+1. I have done Ram Bone and Uber ram bone, stem mount., reservoir mount. All works fine but I wanted it where you want it, went N/Line and won't go back. I think I tried to obtain the shelf you obtained but was a little slow (for a spare).

I use a larger screen than must rallyers, probably costs me some mpg, but I also move the screen a lot. Both the angle and deflection (at speed) varies a lot with aftermarket shields.

I keep two GPS's on it (one stays on 2720 data screen for Speed in same center mass position as HUD. TPMS, switches, V1, and indicator lights.

If you decide no on N/Line I will relieve you of the burden of storing it.

Welcome to the forum and FJR.

Oh the +1 was for the well nut in the plastic on the front tab (above the headlights). Some have reported mucho vibe problems. I've been pleased.

Oh the +1 was for the well nut in the plastic on the front tab (above the headlights). Some have reported mucho vibe problems. I've been pleased.
Gen1 dash shelf already has a screw in the front. Gen2 shelf is different.

Alex,

First off, I fully understand and agree with your position. I have a RamBone, which is about the best thing out there, but you still do have to look down to view the GPS and lose a lot of the desirable peripheral vision of the road and traffic ahead.

The bracket JustRoy made was definitely a 1 off. And unfortunately I don't think Roy is around anymore to share his old plans. But you can see what he did from those pictures and maybe come up with something similar if you are at all handy.

The amount that the shield brackets move up and down at the bottom of the windshield is not as dramatic as what happens at the upper part of the shield. I do not think it would be impossible to come up with a bracket that places the bracket in the right place in the majority of windshield situations.

You'd want the bracket to clear the painted faring below at both extremes, but I think the only real downside would be having to re-adjust the tilt/angle of the GPS on the mount depending on how high the shield was positioned. Not a deal breaker, IMO.

I am tempted to try and fabricate something similar myself.

There is another option here. Have you considered a clutch side mount with an extension arm? Not sure about stability with bumps, but it would give you your location placement that you are looking for. This would give you depth and lateral adjustability.

When I get home I will try it out and post some pics.

There is another option here. Have you considered a clutch side mount with an extension arm? Not sure about stability with bumps, but it would give you your location placement that you are looking for. This would give you depth and lateral adjustability.When I get home I will try it out and post some pics.
I've only been using a GPS for a couple of years but when I first started riding with one I had it mounted on the stem nut also, both with and without an extension. Hated it as I too lost vision of the road every time I looked up and down. Was going to give up on the whole idea but tried it on the clutch side on a whim although I didn't think it would make any difference. I was really surprised to find how easy it is now to glance over at it without feeling like I'm looking away from the road. Looking at it in the garage I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference but it does. XM got moved to the stem and that's a better fit there also.

I've only been using a GPS for a couple of years but when I first started riding with one I had it mounted on the stem nut also, both with and without an extension. Hated it as I too lost vision of the road every time I looked up and down. Was going to give up on the whole idea but tried it on the clutch side on a whim although I didn't think it would make any difference. I was really surprised to find how easy it is now to glance over at it without feeling like I'm looking away from the road. Looking at it in the garage I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference but it does. XM got moved to the stem and that's a better fit there also.
Yeah - that's one area where the dash shelf really shines. Don't have to look down to see your stuff. I need to find a way to make it vibrate less. That's really my only complaint.