Windshield - no more buffeting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollie

Reaction score
Second FJR, 3 aftermarket windshields, so thought I'd try something different. :angry2: Tired of tall w/s, especially in the down position.

Sacrificed the Yamaha Tall (no loss) by cutting it to basic height and width of stock w/s. Cut out large opening in bottom of w/s and installed a deflector on the inside using the top 4 screws of the w/s.

Works good but was even better before I cut the last inch off the top errrr! I've only tried it in light rain w/o a problem but someday will have to get out there in a downpour.

DSCN3518m.jpg

DSCN3526s.jpg
DSCN3521s.jpg
DSCN3524s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very good, I just ordered a humongous Cee Bailey to replace my slightly less humongous Cal-Sci, I'm definitely concerned with how it will look.

I may trade my Cal-Sci with someone's stock and do something similar to what you did at least for the summer months.

Looks great, good job!

I just cut my spare OEM shield down also, with a rounded shape to the upper edge. I guess I should also post a pick soon. Works absolutely great, air flow is smooth and in full up it sill covers my chest and chin. The only issue I had was the shield was so scratched up that I painted the inside black so I wouldn't have to look at the scratches all the time. A little weird to have Zero see-through when you move the shield up though...

Looks great, good job!

I just cut my spare OEM shield down also, with a rounded shape to the upper edge. I guess I should also post a pick soon. Works absolutely great, air flow is smooth and in full up it sill covers my chest and chin. The only issue I had was the shield was so scratched up that I painted the inside black so I wouldn't have to look at the scratches all the time. A little weird to have Zero see-through when you move the shield up though...
I should just +1 your post, but will expound a little.

I also cut my stock shield down with a rounded top shape and mine is also scratched up. I should be able to leave stuff laying around in the garage and not have it damaged, but that's not to be when there's a wife and kid around. The shield was in the kids way so he shoved it between a box and other crap and got scratches all over it. I've thought about taking the time to polish it out, but may go the paint route also.

Love the massive airflow when temps get hot and there's no buffeting either. I haven't actually installed the shield this "summer" because we haven't even gotten above 80 degrees so the +2 Cee Bailey shield is still in it's prime operating range.

Looks very good, I just ordered a humongous Cee Bailey to replace my slightly less humongous Cal-Sci, I'm definitely concerned with how it will look.

I may trade my Cal-Sci with someone's stock and do something similar to what you did at least for the summer months.

The idea behind the inside deflector is to simulate a tall windshield. The air-flow behind the main windshield is forced upward by the deflector and allows the main airstream to remain intact longer before breaking apart and generating the buffeting. It made sense in theory and this experiment has proven it. Now, if I can only get by the looks. ;)

On the subject of cutting a windshield, here's what I've learned, some of it the hard way:

1. If you're cutting an opening, best to drill our the corners first. For this application, I used a 1 1/8" Forstner bit but even a hole cutter would probably work good. Start off with a 1/8" pilot hole at each corner and before you start off with the larger bit, get yourself a second set of hands; the secret here is to spray a small amount of water at the drill bit so as to keep it from building up melted plastic. A spray bottle is all that's needed.

2. For the cuts between the holes and any outside cuts, the ideal tool is a scroll saw or a band saw but I've gotten by with a jig saw. If using a jig saw, use a metal cutting blade and again, the second set of hands to spray cool the blade. Electric tools and water don't mix that well so plug into a GFI if available (just in case.... although I haven't had a misfortune yet). Blow-dry the jig saw when done.

3. Another word of caution if using a jig saw; make darn sure the saw's come to a complete stop before pulling it out of the works. One down stroke against the windshield and you've got yourself a nice crack.

4. That same carpenter friend that lent you the Forstner bit, ask him if you can pass the edges of your windshield on his disc sander. Otherwise, 200 grit sandpaper on a 4-6" block of wood works too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a -3" Cee Bailey that I really like in the summer
3" Cee Bailey, does the 3 mean that it's 3" shorter than stock? Why are we bothering with plus 3 and plus 4" tall windshields if shorter cuts down on buffeting.

Judging from the pictures, at full up your windshield must be quite a bit lower than eyesight? Does that keep the bugs off the visor? (I'd put up with a few bugs if only to get rid of the damn buffeting) :angry:

Your screen looks good, btw.

I also occasionally use a short Cee Bailey sport shield that I really like. It removes all buffeting, relieves your torso from wind in the up position but always keeps your helmet in free air. Less bugs because it doesn't direct all the bugs from below into your shield like the stock shield does.

I'm searching this forum for wisdom and experience on this issue...

hate the buffeting on my stock 2010

I really like the look of the -3 noted above...

i run pretty fast, typically 90+ on the interstates...

i'm interested in how the buffeting is behind this screen? if any

i want free air, and this looks like an option...