Windshield or Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help with my decision either to buy a new helmet or a new windshield? I'm going to be taken a trip in June, I'm currently wearing KBC's FFR modular helmet, I like the helmets fit but I would like a more comfortable ride because of noise level. So I was thinking of buying Shoei's full face helmet not modular or either Cee baileys shield or V stroms. Any comments appreciated.

Personally I wouldn't evaluate any noise reduction effort without using ear plugs. I have a CalSci XL cut down 1" and a Shoei X-11 - both reduce noise a lot - and still I would not ride without ear plugs.

ear_plugs.jpg

Your best noise reduction tool B)

Maybe someone can help with my decision either to buy a new helmet or a new windshield? I'm going to be taken a trip in June, I'm currently wearing KBC's FFR modular helmet, I like the helmets fit but I would like a more comfortable ride because of noise level. So I was thinking of buying Shoei's full face helmet not modular or either Cee baileys shield or V stroms. Any comments appreciated.
Both my HJC and Nolan helmets, 3/4s, are noisy with the stock shield in any position and I'm 6' 1" with 33" inseam, riding with the seat of my '08 in the lowest setting.

I recently benefitted from borrowing Spencer's (is that right, I hope?!) v-stream windshield and with both helmets it was quiet from the highest setting down 3". since the shield is 4" taller than the stock that tells me I needed my stock windshield to be at least an inch taller to be quiet. With the extra 1-1.5" available with the v-stream I can still look over it. With it up to the full height I see through it. Not a problem but not what I like to do. This set up allowed me to ride with my iPod and ear fuze speakers in and hear the music w/o blasting higher volume into my ears than the wind noise.

At this point you probably don't have enough time to get on the waiting list for the rotating v-stream windshield but if your ride is in late June you might have a chance.

Hope this helps.

I can't speak to full face helmets or the cee bailey shields.

I had a stock shield & traded out for an OEM touring shield. Wearing a Shoei Multi-Tec & a Shoei RF1000 - both helmets are loud with both shields.

I get no buffeting to speak of with either helmet or either shield, but I will not ride without earplugs.

Both my windscreen and my helmets are defective! Currently, even a brief 50 mile dash though some of my favorite roads covers both in a sustainable stream of puss colored bug juice.

I've taken to carrying a microfiber sponge and a small squirt bottle of eyeglass cleaner, so I can scrub off a viewspot or two during a ride. Where is the helmet with washer and wipers?

I use the Yamaha Touring windshield and the Shoei X-11. I just got custom made ear buds from Ear Inc. Noise now is at a normal level. Sound quality of the buds are ok. I got the lesser expensive model. Next time I think I'll spend the extra money for the higher sound quality model.

Maybe someone can help with my decision either to buy a new helmet or a new windshield? I'm going to be taken a trip ...

Any comments appreciated.
My comments:

I like "clean air" on the helmet -- (no buffetting): that often means either a low/lower windshield or a much taller/wider one (to eliminate buffetting).

Modular hemets (flip-up chinbar) are generally noisier than full-face helmets -- the extra hardware on the sides seems to be the culprit?

Ear-plugs are good things -- I wear them most of the time on the FJR.

I guess?, if you're (primarily) going to listen to or communicate with audio electronic devices -- the "clean air" comment becomes a 'non-starter'?

Bugs, etc. come with "clean air".

Still....., "clean air" adds a bit of "purity" to motorcycling (imho). :huh: :)

I ride with the Yama touring W/S, and happen to have the KBC FFR modular helmet.

The helmet is a little on the noisy side, hence anything more than just a quick jaunt to the grocery store means a set of ear plugs to preserve what hearing I have left! Even though the wind noise is tiresome, the convenience of the flip up for me is more than worth it, so I'll work with wha I have for now.

I find that with the touring W/S raised, I can achieve a bubble of still air which minimizes the wind noise and completely does away with the buffeting, but at the cost of having to look through the raised W/S, which I find distracting unless I'm just slabbing it at the time.

Please take to heart all the recommendations to wear ear protection! My years of industrial noise have left me with a significant mid-range hearing loss. The nasty truth is that hearing impairment is cumulative... a little bit at a time until you reach that threshold where you finally become aware of the damage. By then, it's too late! Start protection of your hearing now! Once the damage is done in the ear, it is not reversible, and is permanent.

Don

I guess what we are saying is you will get various noise results from various helmet and wind screen combinations, and none of that matters if you wear a good set of ear plugs.

Can I say that?

Your protection from buffeting and your desired appearance may be more of the deciding factors in helmet and / or wind shield choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a V strom and a Shoei RF1000. With the windshield all the way up wind noise is reduced but I still never ride without ear plugs.

Shields and helmets are a couple of those items like condoms...ya just have to try them on for size and see how they work for you.

I've taken to carrying a microfiber sponge and a small squirt bottle of eyeglass cleaner, so I can scrub off a viewspot or two during a ride.
Glad to know I am not the only one doing this!!!

I have a cee bailey 2pluss 2 flip up sheild it does a very good job in the up position with a full face helmet. I use a half helmet it is very quiet. Most people will not use a half helmet because of the potection factor but they are quiet.

I ride with the Yama touring W/S, and happen to have the KBC FFR modular helmet.
The helmet is a little on the noisy side, hence anything more than just a quick jaunt to the grocery store means a set of ear plugs to preserve what hearing I have left! Even though the wind noise is tiresome, the convenience of the flip up for me is more than worth it, so I'll work with wha I have for now.

I find that with the touring W/S raised, I can achieve a bubble of still air which minimizes the wind noise and completely does away with the buffeting, but at the cost of having to look through the raised W/S, which I find distracting unless I'm just slabbing it at the time.

Please take to heart all the recommendations to wear ear protection! My years of industrial noise have left me with a significant mid-range hearing loss. The nasty truth is that hearing impairment is cumulative... a little bit at a time until you reach that threshold where you finally become aware of the damage. By then, it's too late! Start protection of your hearing now! Once the damage is done in the ear, it is not reversible, and is permanent.

Don
I hear you, it's to late for me to I have hearing loss and the annoying ringing, that why I'm trying to reduce the noise from the wind, but not sure if it is the helmet or windshield.

I have a Nolen 102. With stock windsheild VERY noisy, beaucoup buffeting. With V Stream, no buffeting but STILL very noisy. Went with an Arai Corsair-MUCH quieter. Also, for summer switched to a VERY low (cut down) Cee Bailey. No turbulance with EITHER helmet and also pretty quiet. Still get "decent" weather protection when raised but do get bug yuck on the visor! :rolleyes: YRMV

Another thought - I have a Starcom1 in my tank bag, and I use it on the FJR and the FZ-1. The FZ-1 has a near-'bikini' fairing with a small windshield. I don't make any adjustments to the Starcom when Sally and I get on the FZ-1 and then switch back to the FJR. Certainly there is a noise difference but with ear plugs it makes no difference.

Shoei X-11 w/ ear plugs. Great helmet with plenty of air flow to keep noggin' cool in hot weather. It weights much less than other helmets thus it's not a pain to carry around.

I don't ride without either unless I'm riding down the street a few blocks to hit the gym.

Plugs are cheap and very useful. Give 'em a try. If you don't have plugs then take a tad bit of tissue paper and roll it up in your ear till you get some.

Thanks everyone it seems like ear plugs are the way to go much cheaper than a new helmet or windshield. Any brand ear plug I should be buying?