Windshield or Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about brand, but the most comfortable cheap "fits all" type of plugs are the soft foam ones, IMO. I googled around and bought a box of 200 pairs (in separate 2-plug bags) of Moldex "Spark Plugs"--"The official ear plugs of NASCAR" (I just read that off the box). It's handy to just keep a few of the packages somewhere on the bike. Naturally if you go into a store and buy just a few they're much more pricey per set. These were very reasonable. And they work fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe someone can help with my decision either to buy a new helmet or a new windshield? I'm going to be taken a trip in June, I'm currently wearing KBC's FFR modular helmet, I like the helmets fit but I would like a more comfortable ride because of noise level. So I was thinking of buying Shoei's full face helmet not modular or either Cee baileys shield or V stroms. Any comments appreciated.
I've used multiple helmets (FF and modular) and multiple windshields (shorter and taller) on multiple bikes (SV650, FJR, VFR).

In the end, helmet don't make much difference.

Windshield size has the greatest impact.

Shortest (or no) shield = smoothest airflow ... can be a source of fatigue though.

Taller (VStream) shield = least noise. Almost quiet enough to ride w/o earplugs.

Cee Bailey +4+3 and you could ride without a helmet! lol not really but it's very quite now

AND no need for ear plugs... the sound of my CB +4+3 in full up is like riding in a car with the window cracked about an inch

Cee Bailey +4+3 and you could ride without a helmet! lol not really but it's very quite now
AND no need for ear plugs... the sound of my CB +4+3 in full up is like riding in a car with the window cracked about an inch

Yeah, if your a short bastard vertically challenged induhvidual.

That KBC modular helmet is one noisy son of a bitch. I had one (briefly) and couldn't stand it. Sold that sucker tout de suite. Smaller (tighter) helmets will be quieter, but not as comfy.

Use foam earplugs (as others have said) and noise is a non-issue. But that KBC FFR is still a dog. FWIW, I have 2 KBC VR-1's and I like them a lot. Great helmet for the price point and good (great) protection. Also have an HJC AC-12 full face that is comparable.

I never use ear plugs, too dangerous, I just crank the radio :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Much safer you know :yahoo:

Any brand ear plug I should be buying?
You can find different packets in large department stores like Wally World. Try a couple different ones and see which are comfortable. Get the "Noise Reducing 32 db" softest plugs. If you know someone in a factory ask the safety person to order some - I bought a box of 200 pairs for something like $20.00 - 22.00 USD.

+1 to what Marty said.

I am lucky enough (?) to work in an industry where noise is a safety factor for people using our machines. So each customer's site will have a big box of disposable ear plugs of some brand of their choosing. Whenever I see a new brand I am not familiar with I will grab a few "samples" to try. Because I have rather large ear canals, more so on my left ear than my right, the best ones I have found to date are also some of the most available. Howard Leight Max. I have found them at many drugstores in smaller quantities, and can be bought for around $20 for 200 pairs. They look like this:

41P5MTBKJAL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-200,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

i work in a paper mill, and ear protection is a big part of our PPE. we have several types of ear plugs, for long wear comfort i like the e.a.r classic.

they are rated at 29 dB.

cadman

I use the Yamaha Touring windshield and the Shoei X-11. I just got custom made ear buds from Ear Inc. Noise now is at a normal level. Sound quality of the buds are ok. I got the lesser expensive model. Next time I think I'll spend the extra money for the higher sound quality model.
Have a problem with wearing even the best foam earplugs. My ear canals get sore.

It's not the kind of soreness that is encountered by inserting at high altitude then riding to low.

Learned not to take plugs out at gas station then re-insert same plugs with gas nozzle dirty hands but still...

There's a ringing in my ears with throbbing that goes away after airing ears out and using cotton swabs but that's not always possible.

If plugs are inserted at minimum depth, problem is sometimes avoidable. This technique sometimes allows plugs to self-extract if I then ride from low altitudes to high.

What do you guys do?

I use the Yamaha Touring windshield and the Shoei X-11. I just got custom made ear buds from Ear Inc. Noise now is at a normal level. Sound quality of the buds are ok. I got the lesser expensive model. Next time I think I'll spend the extra money for the higher sound quality model.
I have a problem with wearing earplugs. My ear canals get sore.
Not nearly as sore as you'll be when you discover a permanent hearing loss!

Have you tried a number of different brands? There are a metric TON of them out there, and in my exprerience many different fits and feelings while being worn...

It really is worth the effort to find some that work for you for your long term health!

Don

I have a problem with wearing earplugs. My ear canals get sore.
Not nearly as sore as you'll be when you discover a permanent hearing loss!

Have you tried a number of different brands? There are a metric TON of them out there, and in my exprerience many different fits and feelings while being worn...

It really is worth the effort to find some that work for you for your long term health!

Don
I hear ya Don.

The best for me (and expensive) have been the foam plugs with pull cords. There's less digging to get them out especially if the outside pressure rises.

Shields and helmets are a couple of those items like condoms...ya just have to try them on for size and see how they work for you.

I've taken to carrying a microfiber sponge and a small squirt bottle of eyeglass cleaner, so I can scrub off a viewspot or two during a ride.
Glad to know I am not the only one doing this!!!
Yeah, I go for a hemet with a resovoir end, that way I can blow my nose and keep some dignity.

Seriously, we just hit peak allergy season around here, now I can't tell if the mucilage is on the inside or outside.