Windshield question again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyRider

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I can’t decide between the rifle or cb shields, have decided I want light gray tint. Yes I have searched and read all the threads and know there is no perfect shield. I need a little more protection for winter and cool mornings now. Would like to keep the shield on all year. Thinking either rifle +3+4 or cb +2+4 w/flip, I’m 6’2” w/34” inseam. The stock shield just too narrow and noisy when up, great when down in the summer heat. Anyone prefer either shield to the other? Thanks and sorry for the question, at least its not Friday![/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Anyone prefer either shield to the other? [/SIZE] :rolleyes:
Yep....I do!

But since I ride a Gen I any opinion I have won't be relative.

And which ever you buy....you'll eventually wish you had the other! :D

Er...uhm...I'm saving my best answer for Dog Pile Friday. ;)

[SIZE=12pt]Anyone prefer either shield to the other? [/SIZE] :rolleyes:
Yep....I do!

But since I ride a Gen I any opinion I have won't be relative.

And which ever you buy....you'll eventually wish you had the other! :D

Er...uhm...I'm saving my best answer for Dog Pile Friday. ;)
Will the FJR produce more power if I run diesel? Its more expensive than unleaded so it must be better. :blink:

Remember.....the more efficient the windshield, the more "still" air behind it.

The best I have found for my bike and my size (6'2", 32" inseam, Russel seat that raises me 1" and spacers that raise my bars 1") is the CalSci. It gives me silence and no wind buffet to my helmet.

He's in West Sacramento and it might behoove you to contact him. BUT, I re-state, on my bike this windshield is very warm in the Summer because of the wind it blocks.

After that, I like the CeeBailey standard contour, and I'm in the middle of a test on my +4+2 right now. (PM me for details)

I've never had a Rifle windshield.

I'm 6'4" and Ilike my 4+4 flip C/B for the cold weather we get up here it is great for the little bit of summer we get I might run the stock one. I can hear my music thru the speakers I put in the skid lid with the C/B also.

I really like my Rifle Windshield

Rifle Windshield (+5 inches tall and +4 inches wide). I am 5 ft 11 inches tall, have a 32-inch inseam, and weigh 210 lbs. I have a Russell seat that is an inch or two higher than stock. I can put both feet down flat at a stop even with the Russell seat.

You are taller so may need to get a taller shield.

Here is my impression:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...Rifle++rfulcher

Another vote for the Rifle using tuning blocks. I'm just the opposite of MadMike; never run with a CalSci so can't say personally. IIRC, Barabus went from CalSci to Rifle and preferred the Rifle.

Whatever you get make sure its AT LEAST 4 inches taller than stock, if you want maximum wind protection. I'm 6'3" with a 35 inch inseam. I have a Cal Sci +4 +4 and if I sit up real straight I get a touch of wind noise/Buffeting. Its barely perceptible but its there. I think if it was 1 inch higher I would be in a perfect area of quiet,still air. In the summer time I run a shield I cut down to only 16 inches tall. Here in OK its nice to have a large amount of smooth airflow for cooling in the summer. On a long trip though I put the Cal Sci back on.

Another vote for the Rifle using tuning blocks. I'm just the opposite of MadMike; never run with a CalSci so can't say personally. IIRC, Barabus went from CalSci to Rifle and preferred the Rifle.
I vote for the rifle. I have a +5 +4 light gray tint and like it very much . I'm 5' 10' with a 31 " inseam wt 168 lb. The only problem may be the August heat here in Tn. It is very quite at about 3/4 raised. At the lowest setting , you will get good air flow , but also you will get some wind noise. I have a 2008 model with stock seat.

I've just settled on the Rifle tall after trying out both a CB and a V-Stream. I'm just under 6' and use a Russell saddle. I'm very happy with the Rifle screen.

I went from stock to CalSci tall to CalSci Xtall to Vstream to Rifle +5/+4.

Rifle is by far the best for me. 6'0", 32" inseam.

I'm 6'0" and I am on stock seat in the tall position. The CB flip +2H x +3W is VERY good for me. It still has some slight wind noise all the way up - which makes me think I should have got the +4H. But, at that height then the shield looks like its too big and dorky on the bike. I have the light gray tinted model and its top notch quality.

I've used the CB on two FJR's and have really liked them. I'm 5' 10' and use the 2+2 clear with the flip in top. It works great in cold or warm weather. RIDE SAFE

Since darn near EVERYTHING on the bike is a matter of taste and personal preference, it behooves you to try as many of the options as possible. Ride a bike with all these other shields if you can, or just switch shields with someone on a ride, if you can find a sucker volunteer (gen 2, of course). BUT--remember CalSci over in W. Sac.--Mark's a cool guy and will let you bolt one of his on your bike and test ride it. His website is very informative on the physics of turbulence and lots of other crap I didn't understand. I love mine.

And check the classified: For Sale column.

There's a Gen II, CalSci "mui grande" for sale as I type.

Last edited by a moderator: