Windshield Retractor Gaskets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Breeze

Reaction score
Sure enough. About 10 months into my new bike, the rubber gaskets around the windshield retractor arms came unglued and began rolling up and down with my shield. Luckily I was told about this problem at the last SFO rally in Eureka Springs, Ar.. Checking the wisdom of our forum, I was told not to depend on Yamaha's cohesiveness, but instead use the double sided 3M tape. Well, I took it in today (since luckily still under waranty) along with my 3M tape from Auto Zone. The service manager told me that they have never had this problem come up before, even though it sounds like quite a few of us on the forum have gone through it. He made a good point that if there were 100 complaints on the forum, that is really only 2 bikes per state. Anyway, he couldn't tell me how long the replacement would take with no prior experience. I found this odd since repair shops have books to go by with times given for billing purposes. I used to be an auto claims adjuster. He basically said that it was a time consuming process due to having to remove the fairing. I'm glad it happened under the waranty period instead of me paying for the time! I had to leave it with them since it was not completed during the 2 1/2 hours I was in town. Looking forward to getting my ride back tomorrow. If any of you new guys start getting a flapping sound while riding, check those gaskets. You can see them roll up and down with the shield if they come loose. RIDE ON. :D

Sure enough. About 10 months into my new bike, the rubber gaskets around the windshield retractor arms came unglued and began rolling up and down with my shield. Luckily I was told about this problem at the last SFO rally in Eureka Springs, Ar.. Checking the wisdom of our forum, I was told not to depend on Yamaha's cohesiveness, but instead use the double sided 3M tape. Well, I took it in today (since luckily still under waranty) along with my 3M tape from Auto Zone. The service manager told me that they have never had this problem come up before, even though it sounds like quite a few of us on the forum have gone through it. He made a good point that if there were 100 complaints on the forum, that is really only 2 bikes per state. Anyway, he couldn't tell me how long the replacement would take with no prior experience. I found this odd since repair shops have books to go by with times given for billing purposes. I used to be an auto claims adjuster. He basically said that it was a time consuming process due to having to remove the fairing. I'm glad it happened under the waranty period instead of me paying for the time! I had to leave it with them since it was not completed during the 2 1/2 hours I was in town. Looking forward to getting my ride back tomorrow. If any of you new guys start getting a flapping sound while riding, check those gaskets. You can see them roll up and down with the shield if they come loose. RIDE ON. :D
No, what that actually means is that it was 100 FJR Forum members that had the issue, and chose to mention it on the forum. A lot of owners don't even know the forum exists, but that doesn't mean they haven't had gasket issues.