Windshield Screws Loose?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dogs

Reaction score
I noticed during my ride to work that the windshield seemed to be lower than usual. I rode to work and told myself “Self, check this out when you get home.” Half way home the shield dropped another inch or so. I got off the Interstate and went to a friends house for an emergency repair. The two metal screws (under the center of the “W”) had issues.

One had its countersunk head broken off and the other was bent, and about to break right at the screw head. I think that they came loose (backed out a ways) and the leverage of the taller-than-stock shield broke the screws (I have a Cee Baileys +2, +5). On my setup I use two nylon washers/spacers to change the angle of the shield. I replaced these screws (these were not the stock screws but longer) with stainless steel and used loctite to secure them. Another couple of miles and the shield would have ended up in my lap—probably not a fun experience at 80 mph.

DITCH THE NYLON!!!!!!!!! Not the first instance of this happeneing I have heard of when the use of a compressable/flexible spacer is used. I used 3/8 nuts, 1 each side, has 15,000 miles untouched. This on a +4+4 CB, tested full up at 135+

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, there was a discussion some time back about the use of Stainles Steel screws and one of the inpust from those "in-the-know" was that S/S is more brittle. In some applications they will work fine and are designed for that specific use (1.e., attaching brake calipers) where most of the tension exists at a perpendicular angel, thus trying to "shear" the bolt/screw.

In the application you are using on the windshield, the tension is attempting to "pull" the screw against the threads/countersink head. I'm assuming that the continual flex of the windshield assembly against the head of the screw proved to be too much because of the tensile strength of the S/S..

I have cad plated mild steel countersunk screws and have had no problem for25K miles.

My screws are stainless, Ace Hardware Grade. Though I cannot verify the cause, the problem is almost exclusively traced to those who use a compressable/flexible medium for a spacer-I have not heard of a single failure from those using metal or those using the original Rifle.

Just a question....why not plumbers tape on the plastic screws?....it acts like locktight?
It's not the plastic screws that are failing-it's the countersunk machine screws (2) holding the "W" brace to the motor mount.

I noticed during my ride to work that the windshield seemed to be lower than usual. I rode to work and told myself “Self, check this out when you get home.” Half way home the shield dropped another inch or so. I got off the Interstate and went to a friends house for an emergency repair. The two metal screws (under the center of the “W”) had issues.
One had its countersunk head broken off and the other was bent, and about to break right at the screw head. I think that they came loose (backed out a ways) and the leverage of the taller-than-stock shield broke the screws (I have a Cee Baileys +2, +5). On my setup I use two nylon washers/spacers to change the angle of the shield. I replaced these screws (these were not the stock screws but longer) with stainless steel and used loctite to secure them. Another couple of miles and the shield would have ended up in my lap—probably not a fun experience at 80 mph.

Howdy

yes I can confirm this happened to me about 12 months ago me when a few mates and i went for a ride one morning and I noticed the screen was almost touching the top of the front cowling. When I pulled up I removed the screen and low and behold the two original metal screws were buggered, both had cracked. I had installed a thin piece of metal previously to increase the rake of the screen re wind noise. Anyway a mate went looking for screws and came back with two stainless cut down jobies and have never looked back.

Hope this helps.

Cheers