windshield spacers or tuning block

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbwrench

Reaction score
hi everyone,

wondering about windshield spacers, the search wasnt very helpful on this one........

i am trying to find some peace at high speed-65mph plus.with the stock shield wind noise and buffeting is no fun here. have tried large size +3or4"? cal sci shield, its the best so far but too hot, no cooling. it also seems to cause alot of wind to move the bike around more than i like. the v stream shield is pretty good too but quite large. i really like the cooling effect with the stock shield.

how thick are the spacers you guys are using? i would like to try it on the large shields and the stock as well. i also have a laminar lip coming to try out.

my bike is a 04 and stock seat, pull backs 1.5" i am 6'0, 34" inseam.

i am currently using a shoei rf1000 helmet and dont want to use earplugs for every ride and dont want the head in a paint shaker treatment while riding either.

I use (and have for 35000 miles) a 3/8 nut between the two brackets at each screw, along with longer stainless countersunk screws from Ace hardware, on a CeeBailey +4+4, at speeds up to and including 140mph with windshield fully raised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep! I had two 5/16" nuts on each of the attachment screws (Between the "W" bracket and the motor "U" bracket). It was just enough spacing for me.

how / why does the spacing work?

i already know where it goes and how to do it. anyone try 1/2" spacing?

do you think it will work on the taller shields?

thanks, tbwrench.

p.s. anyone going to sturgis??? i am planning on leaving monday or tuesday.

I have Rifle windsheild I tried the tuning blocks and liked them all except I got as many bug on the inside of the windsheild as the outside. I took them out Quite as a mouse with shield up I,m 5'7 and still look ovet shield with it down

it is a little hotter with out the tuning blocks I think i will play around with different spacing.

I have I believe 3/8ths inch nylon spacers from Lowes along with some longer screws to hold it all together. I have also cut my shield down by 6 inches (i think). this is the alternative to going with a bigger screen and results in clean air from over the top of the screen to hit you helmet. in the rain you can tuck in behind it and stay dry for a small shower if you are at speed and its raised. But mostly it allows cool air to come in from the top and pour down keeping your knees up comfortable. in the up position is will pull air from the engine and keep you warm. I have had this solution for a couple years and love it.

I have I believe 3/8ths inch nylon spacers from Lowes along with some longer screws to hold it all together.
IIRC, there have been 1-2 failures, reported on this forum, of windscreens that were spaced w/ nylon spacers. As a result, I replaced my nylon spacers w/ stainless steel ones from McMaster-Carr.

I have I believe 3/8ths inch nylon spacers from Lowes along with some longer screws to hold it all together.
IIRC, there have been 1-2 failures, reported on this forum, of windscreens that were spaced w/ nylon spacers. As a result, I replaced my nylon spacers w/ stainless steel ones from McMaster-Carr.
Yup, nylon, any plastic for that matter bad news. Flexing=baaaad. Solid=good. Small shield probably only reason it's survived this long. Big shields move-a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
My used Yammie touring shield came with Skyway aluminum spacers that work well. They look about 3/8 inch, but if you really need to know I'll measure them. I'd use a nut as others have if I was inclined.

Good info in this thread. I just went down to Ace and got some nice chrome steel spacers, 1/4" ID x 3/8" tall, plus a couple of stainless hex drive screws all for 6 bucks and change. Easy install. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Has anyone ever added a spacer to a Gen 2 windshield? I added a N-Line shelf last week, and the shield makes contact with shelf when underway, to the point that it is scratching the shield and rubbing the finish off of the shelf.

Has anyone ever added a spacer to a Gen 2 windshield? I added a N-Line shelf last week, and the shield makes contact with shelf when underway, to the point that it is scratching the shield and rubbing the finish off of the shelf.
I don't have a shelf, but my Vstream shield will touch the fairing if I leave it all the way down while cruising on the highway. This isn't a problem for me because I only run the Vstream in the winter and it's always raised some to block that cold wind (like 39 degrees this morning on the way to work). I have custom spacers I installed that tip the shield back a little. I can't quite picture how this would affect a shelf, but if I had to guess I'd say it'll probably make your problem worse.