Windshield versus earplugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Does anyone have a windshield on their fjr that lessens(eliminates) the need for earplugs and if so what is it? Thanx

Does anyone have a windshield on their fjr that lessens(eliminates) the need for earplugs and if so what is it? Thanx
I got the V-Stream (?) and it solved my problems. It goes alot higher then stock and you can hide behind it in the rain. And it is wider. However keep the stock windshield for the peak of summer (hot weather).

Art

Mr. Ashe snagged what turned out to be a +4+4 /w flip Cee Bailey shield for me. We rode one day @ EOM with out it, put it on for Saturday's ride. Wind "noise" was much reduced. I use custom molded earplug speakers for music; with this shield, I could run it at a much lower volume. Two thumbs up from Annette on the back seat, too.

I had a CalSci XL on the '04; it was a bigger shield and offered similar quietness; it was like riding behind a barn door...

-wr

I got the V-Stream (?) and it solved my problems. It goes alot higher then stock and you can hide behind it in the rain. And it is wider. However keep the stock windshield for the peak of summer (hot weather).

Art

Ha! Hot weather. In Snohomish, WA? :rolleyes:

I don't think there is anything that would make me ride without earplugs on any bike at any time, but that is just me.

I can't control some things in life but can prevent some things.

doctorj

Art
+1 on the V-Stream. With a FF helmet with the shield down, no wind noise at all, just that turbine whine of the FJR. LOL

Even with the CalSci +4 (which makes it much more quiet and calm), I still wear earbuds or earplugs on any ride of over 10 minutes that involves highway speeds. Your helmet (type, brand, fit) will also be a big factor here.

Hearing loss is cummulative and progressive. :blink:

Yes. The windshield on my car. You're riding a freakin motorcycle! There's gonna be wind. :assassin:

Mike

I have a Cee Baileys +4 +3 with a flip and it works wonders, but, I found that it doesn't protect me from the side wind that can hit during certain rides. I about went deaf on one ride not wearing earplugs, so I wear them all the time now.

For years, I just dreaded the thought of having to ride with ear plugs, for all of the usual excuses. It would be too hot and sweaty. I won't be able to hear my tunes. And so I would always be in search of the right windshield and helmet combination to form that "quite pocket" to ride in - with only limited success.

But on one long ride with friends, I put in some foam plugs, turned up the GPS and radio volume a bit, and hey! It was actually much more comfortable. Less noise to fatigue me, and the big plus - it liberated me from hiding behind the barn door! I could actually lower the windshield, and feel the cooling wind on my head and torso. Not long after I got a pair of custom earplugs made for me at a local motorcycle show, and I've never looked back.

So for me, the question of earplugs versus windshield is simply not posing the right question. No helmet is quiet enough to adequately protect your hearing, even behind a barn door of a windshield. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rifle screen +5 +4. Shoei x11 helmet, very quiet except for side wind noise. Its actually quieter with the visor up. Use to wear plugs all the time riding a cbr hurricane but not as often these days. Perhaps I've never had such a quiet ride before that I'm kidding myself by not wearing plugs every ride. I know it appears noisier driving on the hwy with the windows down on the car though. I do have access to a db meter at work so might be able to try some noise level testing.

Last edited by a moderator: