Windshield versus earplugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So for me, the question of earplugs versus windshield is simply not posing the right question. No helmet is quiet enough to adequately protect your hearing, even behind a barn door of a windshield. YMMV.
Yes there is. I've always worn earplugs since my '82 RZ-350, except on my FJR with the Cee Bailey's. There's zero wind noise with it fully up, and only sound reflections from other vehicles as I pass them. The only other bike I've had that was this quiet was my VF750 Sabre with the OEM Hondaline fairing.

Don't be sounding off about things that aren't true.

My CalSci XL is noticeably quieter and exhibits less turbulance than the CeeBailey's +4+2 (std contour) it replaced but I still wear ear plugs. Ear damage doesn't heal.

My CalSci XL is noticeably quieter and exhibits less turbulance than the CeeBailey's +4+2 (std contour) it replaced but I still wear ear plugs. Ear damage doesn't heal.
Ear damage doesn't heal!! Excellent wisdom.

If you get thru riding and you hear noise in your ears, you should have worn ear plugs. I'm already wearing hearing aids and wouldn't dare ride without ear plugs. Already it's "Eeh??? What'd he say Sonny, eh?" Funny to watch, but not funny to live with.....ask my wife, Snow White?

Westone foamies.... In ear headphones. Standard bullet shape foamies that allow you to listen to "whatever" at a nice low or high volume, and very little outside noise.

Not cheap, but well worth the $$. Oklahoma wind blew my foamies off my seat right after I bought them, I stepped on the earphone and of course broke it. Sent it back to Westone with an honest explaination. They repaired it for free. Also the only in ear headphone I've been able to get the helmet on/off without issues.

Ordering a barn door soon for winter riding.

I implore you to consider wearing ear plugs regardless. No matter how good you think your helmet/windshield combo is, you are very likely doing damage to your hearing. Damage that's going to come back to haunt you. Tinnitus is a REAL BITCH and you don't want to get even a little ringing started. Once them bells start to toll, they NEVER stop.

Could you guys speak up, or type harder. I'm havin a hell of a time hearing ya.... I never ware no stinkin ear plugs. There for sissy's, not manly men....

Jus kiddin, +1 on waring them all the time regardless of how good or bad my shield works.

Does anyone have a windshield on their fjr that lessens(eliminates) the need for earplugs and if so what is it? Thanx
Ain't gonna happen. I've had 3 different Wings and even behind those barn doors, I still recommend protecting your hearing.

Even with a relatively quiet air pocket, there's still pressure on the ear drum while riding that's affect is the same as continuous noise exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe there is zero noise behind any windshield. I've ridden behind different windshields that I thought has little or no wind noise for lots of years without ear plugs and now my ears ring constantly. Ride with them all the time now. Trying to save what hearing I have left.

GP