Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300Jeff

Reaction score
Which windshield do you guys feel is the best over all???

I've heard good things about both, it appears that the Rifle is a bigger shield than the Cee Bailey??

Any thoughts??

Which windshield do you guys feel is the best over all???
I've heard good things about both, it appears that the Rifle is a bigger shield than the Cee Bailey??

Any thoughts??
Don't know anything about either of those windshields. I do know the stock '05 windshield works great if you get some WAY BITCHIN' LOWER HANDLEBARS!

Sorry I can't help it. :D

And since the weather is warming, drop that shield and watch your mileage go up!

One Vote for Cee Baileys -

I have a Cee Bailey 4 x 3 with a flip at the top for my 05 FJR - I am 5' 7 " and I lower it so I can easily see over it - with a Shoei RF1000 helmet and faceshield down, I am aerodynamic enough to have a comfortable ride. The windshield reduced back pressure (at nominal speeds) and reduced significantly the buffeting noise I was getting with the stock shield. I cannot say it is perfect but it is better for me than stock. If I had to do it again I would have gotten a 4 x 4 with a flip which may reduce side buffeting a little more than my current one. :rolleyes:

I do not know about the rifle but I have heard good reports about the rifle users too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed Rifle touring shield last summer and went FL.>N.Y. 1500/24hr. It keeps wind blast off shoulders and helps with rain. Distanced to helmet, angle with tuning block in upright position - does not work IMO. On the other hand-Drove back N.Y.>FL. in Nov.temp 30-35 til I hit Ga. no heated gadgets on bike except engine and there is no way could have done it without shield. Currently have stock shield on.

I think both the ones you mentioned are good. There are other good ones too. There are numerous threads on windshields, use Search and check em out for LONG discussion on this topic

Have an 05 with Cee Baileys +4+2 and it is a definate improvement over stock. I'm 6'0" and still get some buffeting - find myself playing with the screen adjustment depending on speed. At full "up" position, its preety good, but I'm looking through the top edge :blink: - I'm getting used to it I guess, and any ride over 15 minutes I jam in the ear plugs for some quiet (Shoei RF1000). Jay

Don't agonize over the choice too long. They both come in multiple sizes. Owners like both of them. Close your eyes and say to yourself "Rifle... Cee Bailey... Rifle... Cee Bailey..." Buy the one that sounds best to you.

I installed Rifle touring shield last summer and went  FL.>N.Y.  1500/24hr.  It keeps wind blast off shoulders and helps with rain.  Distanced to helmet, angle with tuning block in upright position - does not work IMO.  On the other hand-Drove back N.Y.>FL. in Nov.temp 30-35 til I hit Ga. no heated gadgets on bike except engine and there is no way could have done it without shield.  Currently have stock shield on.
How'd ya keep yer mitts warm? I'm callin' yer bluff here smokey. :unsure: I ride to work just 25 miles one way when it's warmer than that and I can't belive you can highway cruise without some type of heated grip/glove combo and I've lived here in Mi forever, where we snowmobile without gloves when it's above thirty :p albeit with heated grips. :D

Ya know I should put those things on :eek: they've been in the shed since last year at this time. Guess I could get up and do it now, then I wouldn't have to piss about havin' cold fingers in the morning. Nah I'd rather bitch, keeps the fools away for awhile :D

:jester:

How'd ya keep yer mitts warm? I'm callin' yer bluff here smokey.
Gloves, alpinestar gp pro with air vents duct-taped over, Have vista throttle lock, and on each side of tank by rubber plugs enough engine heat to recover finger tips one hand at a time. Return trip- Lake George> Richmond Va. and stayed at my sisters house. Next day starting out 28-35. Yes I rode one hand on bars for about 1000 miles total while the other one was trying to get warm. It was miserable and fun at the same time. I was so cold it makes me want to get pattern for Scab's homemade chaps for cold wheather riding.Further on rifle shield, I like clear view of road just above shield and with shield up you are looking through it, and down enough where I like, I get wind blast.

I got the tall Cal-Sci windshield and consider it to be far superior to the +4+2 Cee Bailey w/flip. Quieter, no back pressure, and I can still look over it. But I'm 6'4" tall w/34" inseam. YMMV

Wimps. I rode all winter. No replacement shield, no heated gloves, no guards, no heated grips, no heated nothing. Ride 50 miles each way to work. Lowest temp when leaving out in the morning - 17 degrees. Was it pleasant? NO. But, you're going to think I am crazy on this - Drive faster! Really. I creates a better pocket of air around you. I am more uncomfortable riding 50mph when it's cold than 85mph. As for your hands, just cause you can't feel 'em don't mean they ain't still working. Suck it up and ride.

besides, I didn't has enough gas money for the car!

Oh, yeah, I forgot how easy old people get cold. :D

From EZ Bored: I'm assuming he is the Cal-Sci guy

marklawrence17Squid bait

(12/5/05 2:30 pm)

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an '06 FJR. If you have one and let me use it to design a windshield, you get a free windshield.
And due diligence from past lessons dictates that I remind you all that they're not called windshields. Screens, fairings, anything but shields. ;)

I ran the stock shield for a very brief time. Went to the Cee Bailey +4+3.....was much better but still had way too much back pressure at higher settings. Recently installed the Cal Sci tall shield and am very pleased with it. Absolutely NO back pressure at any setting and it controls buffeting and wind noise as good as, or better than, the other shields.

Just curious for those of you with a Cal Sci windscreen... what happens when it rains? I've got this mental image of water coming onto the dash area through the cutouts, but maybe that's not the case. Currently, my dash stays pretty dry when riding in the rain with the stock screen.

I've been in only one light rain since going to the Cal Sci shield. I really could not tell if more rain was coming in on me as opposed to the other shields. One would assume, though, that in continued riding during heavy rain you would have more water get to the cowling area. I have very effective rain gear, however, so any additional water that got to me would not be an issue anyway. The benefit of having a shield that generates absolutely NO BACK PRESSURE far outweighs the possibility that it might let in a little more rain, IMHO.