Winter gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsfjr

Reaction score
Any recommendations for non-electric cold weather gloves? Anybody had the Cortech Scarabs?

Held, or Olimpia Winter gloves. Both work really well.

I haven't tried the Scarabs. I went to Synergy gloves before they were available in my local shop.

I have Tour Masters. They are NOT waterproof though. I have already discovered that in real cold weather the gloves don't really matter. I will be adding hand guards and heated grips.

For really real cold weather, you might consider skipping the heated grips and just do the heated gloves. It's a more capable solution, and much easier to install. Not that grips are a huge challenge. Just that gloves are easier.

Back to the original question: I have Olympia winter gloves (non-waterproof). They are very well insulated, but are still only good for 30-45 minutes of riding in truly cold weather without heated grips. Riding with frozen hands can be dangerous. As you lose coordination in your hands those lever thingees tend not to be very helpful in emergencies. Adding heated grips (or gloves) helps a lot if you intend on riding into the 30's (or below).

Depending on what riding you'll be doing, electrification may be unavoidable.

Last edited by a moderator:
For really real cold weather, you might consider skipping the heated grips and just do the heated gloves. It's a more capable solution, and much easier to install. Not that grips are a huge challenge. Just that gloves are easier.
Back to the original question: I have Olympia winter gloves (non-waterproof). They are very well insulated, but are still only good for 30-45 minutes of riding in truly cold weather without heated grips. Riding with frozen hands can be dangerous. As you lose coordination in your hands those lever thingees tend not to be very helpful in emergencies. Adding heated grips (or gloves) helps a lot if you intend on riding into the 30's (or below).

Depending on what riding you'll be doing, electrification may be unavoidable.
Thanks, Fred. I've got Gerbings heated gloves and use them when it's extremely cold, but wanted to consider an additional pair of winter gloves for shorter rides or when the electrics aren't absolutely necessary.

Thanks, Fred. I've got Gerbings heated gloves and use them when it's extremely cold, but wanted to consider an additional pair of winter gloves for shorter rides or when the electrics aren't absolutely necessary.

I have the Gerbing heated goves and the Olympia winter gloves. I'm happy with both. I'm thinking the Olympians are over 5 years old and still holding up. If it's cold i just go with the Gerbing.....

I've found that a pair of these add almost another ten degrees to whatever gloves I'm wearing.
Oh be honest, Zippy....you like the way they feel, not the way they work. :rolleyes:

Edit: I see Mike chimed in just before I did....which, considering him, reaffirms my theory. It's all about "feel" with you girls. :p

+1 on the silk glove liner idea. They bridge the gap between just using everyday gloves and having to fire up the Gerbings, without the expense of another pair of gloves.

My 2 cents is this....

First I have never found the "perfect" pair of winter gloves. I know, I know, what do I know, I live in SoCal.

Anyway, one of the best pair of winter gloves I've owned were Marsee's Adventure gloves, complete with internal liners and a cool left thumb rubber squeegee for wiping your shield in the rain, worked like a champ! When the morning temps get into the low 40's and high 30's in SoCal, these gloves did pretty good on my 17 mile commute to work, mostly at freeway speeds. I would still use my grip heaters for a little to help out. The outside of my hands/fingers would get cold but not numb.

Marsee no longer makes riding gear :( that bummed me out. Some places still have old Marsee stock (check ebay and do a Google search) in many sizes but mine, XL. My gloves are now about 4-5 years old. I just bought a pair of Tourmaster Cortech Scarab Winter gloves, and received them today. They fit great, feel good, and seem like they'll do well. I'll try them out tomorrow for the first time. It's only in the low 50's to high 40's right now in the mornings so I won't get to see how they really protect against the cold for another couple months. On the Cortech's I liked the added protection they had for road rash compared to many winter gloves. These are about $76.49 online at most stores. I'm bummed most winter gloves no longer have a thumb squeegee.

[SIZE=14pt]***EDIT***[/SIZE]

OK. I got try them out a little earlier then I thought…. This morning it was 40º at my place, so I got excited and added my pant liners to my gear and strapped on my gloves like a test pilot. They were nice and warm on my hands going into the garage, does that count? I took to the road and at 30 - 45 MPH they were fine started to get a little cool, I was worried. I got on the freeway and not much change, menaing they didn't get any colder, they held the temperature pretty well. My fingers got a little cold not bad though. I would have liked to turn on my grip heaters just for the added comfort, but I refused, for the sake of being a test pilot. I got to work and pulled off the gloves and put my hands to my toasty warm neck and face, yes my fingers (outside or topside of fingers mainly) were colder then my face, but still pretty good for 40º. I walked the quarter mile to my office from the parking lot and thawed out rapidly. Some times I get chilled to the bone and I never thaw out. In minutes my fingers were back to normal with no additional warming. I would rate them better than my older well used Marsee gloves. I do like the knuckle guard protection a lot. If it had the squeegee on the thumb, I'd be the happiest camper in town. With the limited use of these gloves, I have no regrets with this purchase.

I would agree with most reviewers that these do well if 40º and above, depending on your threshold of cold tolerance. They are also a tad stiff being new and all, and that's what most other reviewers have said. They also mention they did break in after a while. I also like the fact that the gauntlet is longer then many other gloves. Good fit and comfort. My strap was fine plenty of room for adjustment, a few reviewers complained of the strap being short for them.

I got these on Bikebandit.com with my AMA discount, some Banditbucks (About $8) I had accumulated, along with the no sales tax in October deal, shipped to my door for $68.

End Edit

Good luck on your quest. PM later and I'll let you know how they are. Already did that ;)

h_o8_black.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]***EDIT*** 1/1/10[/SIZE]

I got to use these gloves a couple days ago in the rain. Had a light rain for a couple hours, the leather on the outside was wet, inside was dry. After a couple more hours in the light rain my hands did get some moisture, not real bad but the inside was damp now.

Over all I'd say these gloves are pretty good for the price and work as advertised.

Any recommendations for non-electric cold weather gloves? Anybody had the Cortech Scarabs?
Yessir, I have a pair of Cortech Scarab Winter gloves.

They by themselves give me comfort down into the upper 40's, but my hands get cold real easy. I'll have to try the silk liner thing.

The fit/finish is good as is to be expected from Cortech, but they're definitely winter gloves as you lose some dexterity/feel and control on the grips. You do get used to that after a while though.

It's only in the low 50's to high 40's right now in the mornings so I won't get to see how they really protect against the cold for another couple months.
DUDE!!! It's already in the 40's there! :dribble:

SHIT...It's 91 degrees here right now! And I'm not sayin' that just to piss-off our nordern bruddas....I can't believe SoCal's already seein' 40s!

Hell, we'd love to see 70s! :angry:

It's only in the low 50's to high 40's right now in the mornings so I won't get to see how they really protect against the cold for another couple months.
DUDE!!! It's already in the 40's there! :dribble: SHIT...It's 91 degrees here right now! And I'm not sayin' that just to piss-off our nordern bruddas....I can't believe SoCal's already seein' 40s!

Hell, we'd love to see 70s! :angry:
Howie - We've had some funky weather the last couple weeks her in SoCal. Just as fall was setting in, summer came back with a vengeance. Last Monday the high temp was over 90º! Then Tuesday and Wednesday the high temps were in the high 60's. Yesterday morning it was only about 50º, then this am 40º. It's supposed to warm up to maybe low 80's by the weekend. Some day it'll soon be Spring. :D