Winter gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used silk liners in the past and found these https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Po...rs-p-106_9.html are more effective. I don't get much opportunity to test my stuff below 30 degrees (I love Texas) but with the fleece liners and these gloves https://www.olympiagloves.com/viewgloves.html I can stay comfortable at 35 degrees on my 40 minute highway commute to work. Without the liners I can wear these gloves from about 45-60 degrees, much above 60 degrees and the gloves are a sweaty mess when I take them off.

I'm going to be even cheaper then my normal self and use my old Marsee glove liners in my Cortech Scarab's for the even colder days. They fit no problem makes the gloves tighter on my hands but no real issues off the bike. I'll have to see how they behave on the bike for stiffness etc. I'll let you know how that goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE (Brian B @ Oct 30 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have used silk liners in the past and found these https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Po...rs-p-106_9.html are more effective. I don't get much opportunity to test my stuff below 30 degrees (I love Texas) but with the fleece liners and these gloves https://www.olympiagloves.com/viewgloves.html I can stay comfortable at 35 degrees on my 40 minute highway commute to work. Without the liners I can wear these gloves from about 45-60 degrees, much above 60 degrees and the gloves are a sweaty mess when I take them off.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check those out.

Has anyone else found the polar fleece better liners than the silk liners? I have plain cotton liners and various winter gloves which all have fallen short. I just put V-Strom hand guards on the bike, but the weather has been in the 60s-70s in NC this week so I have not been able to test the difference from the guards yet.

lol not to pick fun but most of the reccomendations are coming from guys in Fl, Tx, Cali......

Wheres the Chi-town, New Yorkers,.... hell someone from one of those Dakotas speak up!!

(Im very interested in this thread)

The silk liners seem like a pretty good idea, for only 7 bucks its also a helluva value. I def be ordering a set of those for me and my girl.

Okay, Northern Ontario uses a pair of $23 Fieldsheer AquaSports from New Enough. Waterproof and carry a moderate amount of Thinsulate. Combined with the hand guards, I'm good for an hour or two (no heated grips) at 33-34F.

Then again, I'm kind of immune to 'cold' hands. It's only when the temps get REALLY cold do I get uncomfortable.

Any recommendations for non-electric cold weather gloves? Anybody had the Cortech Scarabs?
When the tempurature dips down into the 40's, i switch from gloves to gortex mits with thinsolate. By design, mitts do a better job of keeping your hands warm since your fingers can stay together. Between 30 and 40 degrees, you've got to go electric for any rides longer than about 1/2 hour. I use a set of gerbings and plug them right into my plug for my battery tender. Its a quick and easy solution to those freezing morning rides you take cause you know the tempuratures are going to warm up later on in the day.

GreyGoose

Southwestern Ontario here...... I have several pair of winter gloves. The only pair I have been happy with are the BMW Pro Winter gloves. They are truly waterproof as well. I have ridden all day at below freezing temps (note - I do have heated grips as well) and in drizzle/sleet comfortably. Only drawback with these gloves is the expensive price. Pro Winter Glove

Added this edit to post #12.

I got to use these gloves a couple days ago in the rain. Had a light rain for a couple hours, the leather on the outside was wet, inside was dry. After a couple more hours in the light rain my hands did get some moisture, not real bad but the inside was damp now.

Over all I'd say these gloves are pretty good for the price and work as advertised.

Over the holidays I purchased a pair of Ski Doo leather snowmobile gloves. They were about $100. They are waterproof and windproof. I used them on our trip down to Guadalupe this week and they kept my hands warm and dry. Although the temps were not that low (lowest was about 38) my hands never felt cold. The gloves are bulkier than regular motorcycle gloves but I did not find that to be a major issue. The gloves have reinforced knuckle protectors and I was able to pull them over the sleeves of my jacket to keep the wind and water out... When the temps got to about 50 degrees, I put them in my bag and wore my regular touring gloves. I will wear them on our trip to Death Valley later this month were the temps should be lower. If my ride this week was any indication the gloves should keep my hands warm... Old Michael got a new pair of winter Alpinestar gloves and he wore liners with them and he said his hands stayed warm and dry...

SkiDoo.jpg

I use the Tour Master Winter Elite Gloves when I do not want to wear my heated gloves and they have served me will.

Tour_Master_Winter_Elite_Gloves_Black_detail.jpg

Last year I wore a pair of Alpinestars WR-3 winter gloves. They are a big improvement over the summer gloves, but I didn't like how the fingers were too short for me. This year, I got a pair of Held Freezer gloves and like them a lot better. They are warmer and the fingers fit better. There are two drawbacks to the Helds: they were pricey (but I used a NewEnough coupon code to help with a the price), and they are initially pretty stiff to me, especially in the little finger area.

I will probably turn the grips on tomorrow (supposed to be 17F in the morning), but for the most part I use the grips sparingly with the Held. I had to use the heated grips about all the time with the AStars.

'fooz

Lee Parks PCI. $180, and in my opinion worth every penny. Comfy, and have a nice operational range, so they're good in the spring time when the day starts out cold. I have heated grips on both my bikes and they do a fantastic job of routing the heat around, even into the thumbs.

https://www.leeparksdesign.com/eshopprod_ca..._Black__Tan.htm

A few weeks ago I was forced into riding my unfaired, non-hand-guarded BMW in 35F weather. It was about an hour ride, mixed road, with at least 30 minutes of highway riding. While my hands were not toasty warm, they were not dangerous blocks of ice either. Had I stayed on back roads, they would have been fine.

Good luck with your search.