Winter Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
Love my heated grips and they do put out a lot of heat, but still find my thumb and finger tips getting uncomfortably cold, even with the heat turned all the way up. Is ther any particular brand of glove that will help alleviate the cold fingers? The problem seems to be that your thumbs and fingers are not in direct contact with the warm grips, thus making your palms warm but your fingers cold. Any suggestions?

I have tried many gloves and I ride all year and commute and the best glove is electric. I use gerbings t5 and love them.

I can see in NJ it must get damned cold! When the weather got cold in CA or NC I wear a Gerbing Heated Jacket. Works great! Haven't used their gloves has have other responders. But, I've been very comfortable with "Olympia 4350 All Season I Gloves" have, but I just found on the Olympia gloves site for you.

I like them because they are very movement friendly, STOP the wind, and between the heated jacket and on a rare occasion, a glove liner, they get the job done. But the Olympia site gives you a wealth of choices.

I suppose I've been riding in the 40 degree temp range, but, not on purpose. I used to have a 55 degree threshold in California, at my house, but, I never really stopped to consider that when I got up into the Santa Cruz Mountains and on the Pacific Coast it more than likely to be quite a few degrees colder than that, easily getting it down to the lower 40's.

I just started using the First gear Carbon heated gloves. Only ridden one day so far but the morning temp was 19 F and that afternoon was 30. With the heat troller my hands were sweating at 60mph. but turned to medium heat, they were perfect for me. I have an hour commute to work, and I am now planning on a regular commute during the winter. At least , until they start messing up the roads with salt and sand.

Note: this setup was a bit pricey, (170$ :gloves, $69 for the heat controller, $20 for the cord to run through the jacket), but I would rather ride the bike than store it. I have the waterproof version, which cost more also.

I ride with Racer GP's, they are water proof and lined this Thinsulate. That have allot of leather knuckle armor and or quit well, I often have to turn down my grips once they have heated up. Look for aglove with allot of leather armor on the fingers, that will help with the wind coming through. The ideal glove though would be an actual heated glove, to warm more thoroughly the tops of your hands.

Firstgear TPG gloves with Hiporv are made to work with heated grips. The palms, front of the fingers and thumb area are lighter material so that the heat works better.

Also this setup helps.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=4287&b=1&st=&p=entry
Second that, been using my first gear TPGs (technical performance gear) with the Yamaha factory heated grips and usually have to dial down the heat. Plus the gloves have a large gauntlet style that fits over my jacket sleeves.

I have the Fieldsheer 'Eskimo' gloves.

Used them on a bb1500 in temps from 18-40... sure windchill made it a lot colder.

Had heated grips, however at those temps and speeds, heated grips..help the palm.

The Eskimo's really did well, kept fingers from freezing stiffness, and they have a liner that pulls out the top

of the glove and covers entire hand to protect from rain and wind.

I rate them excellent, plus they were pliable while gripping the throttle over the long haul.

I could feel the heat from the heated grips if I held really tight, which is what you tend to do when it's freezing out.

I got them on sale @ Cycle gear for $49.00 last year this time.

Sorry, they don't cost a fortune, but they would be hard to beat.

I have gerbing gloves, but I like this combo recently. I ride with inexpensive soft unlined deerskin gloves all the time. When its cold and/or raining, I just slide on Aerostich over gloves. $50. The are thin, block the wind, and go on quickly. On a recent trip to the Alps, with temps from the 30's to 50's, they worked great and were not bulky for the controls. Surprised me. No wires to deal with.