Winterizing: Sta-Bil/Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Treatmetn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
While I know the "right thing" to do is to remove all gas from system when winterizing, I expect I'm with the "99%" who look instead to put fuel stabilizer in, esp. if one hopes to ride again within a few months.

Historically, the choice for this is Sta-Bil. But, in looking at its container, I don't see any mention of it being designed to deal with ethanol issues in the fuel. On the other hand, Lucas Safeguard claims to do that.

So here's my question: given the crappy E-10 gas I'm stuck with here in CT, would it make sense to use the Lucas Safeguard? And if so, does it provide the same gas stabilization as Sta-Bil? Alternatively, can one use both Sta-Bil and Safeguard -- even if it's overkill -- to ensure both gas stabilization and ethanol treatment?

Thoughts?

Sta-bil makes a blue product designed for ethanol. It's stronger to tie up the (GD) ethanol better than regular red sta-bil.

I try to find non-oxygenated gas ( www.pure-gas.org ) and add regular sta-bil and/or seafoam and everything works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not use Ethanol, but I know some do not have that option. I have a $10 siphon pump from Lowes take the fuel out, use it in your car and not worry about your fuel system next season...

Your putting more effort into selecting a stabilizer than i would take to get that crap E10 out of the FJR.

Sta-bil makes a blue product designed for ethanol. It's stronger to tie up the (GD) ethanol better than regular red sta-bil.
Interesting -- didn't see that at the local Autozone. I guess the question is -- will my idea of Sta-Bil plus the Lucas stuff take care of it?

Thanks.

(Oh, and Scott/USN -- understand what you're saying re removing the gas. Thing is: there have been times when the roads dry out/clear up during the winter, and I love the option to just get out. Hence, I'm trying to look at options. Thanks for the tip, tho'.)

IMO. Stabil sucks ass. I've NEVER had good results from that product. Star tronis what I've been using the past 2 years on all my power equipment. My woodchipper starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time now. I add it to every gas can when I fill up that way I know every machine has been treated all the time, that includes my other bike. They have it at Walmart now, and sometimes you can find it at Lowes, and Home Depot. If the machine has a plastic gas tank I always treat the gas while using it and then I run it out of gas before storage. If the machine has a metal tank, I always run treated gas with it, then turn off the gas, run it till it stalls, then top off tank with treated gas, and finally add a splash more of Star-Tron directly to tank before storage. So far this has worked great for me! Give it a try and let me know how it works out for you.

I've used Sta-bil for several years now and have been very satisfied. I've used it in motorcycles, my boat, and my gas powered air compressor. I found the blue Sta-bil at West Marine, which is a boat supply store. The ethanol is a bigger issue for boats since most have fiberglass tanks.

Dude...ANY commercially available fuel stabilizer will do what you need just fine. Stop stressing about stuff that doesn't need stressed about.

Fill up the bike, put the stabilizer in, ride 5 miles, park the bike, drink a beer...Or two.

One thing I suggest you consider is using a stabilizer/cleaner product in the FJR as it is a EFI system. Seafoam & StarTron (as ALDAWG mentions) work well. Since most manufactures recommend against draining an EFI system, it is a good idea to run a fuel cleaner as well when the equipment (fjr) is removed from storage. So if the fuel is just stabilized personaly I add a cleaner (seafoam/techron/ect) as well in the next couple of tanks of gas.

The Lucas Safeguard is primarily a conditioner/stabilizer not a cleaner, same as the Sta-Bil. I prefer to use products that are primarily stabilizers in equipment with carburetors or fuel delivery systems that can be run-dry or drained. (Drain the carbs then fill the tank to prevent condensation/rust and stabilize the gas) For equipment like my lawnmower with a carb and plastic tank, I just run-dry or drain.

As to your original question: I would say you are safe to use both Sta-Bil Red/blue and Safeguard, never heard of overdosing issues with fuel stabilizers or cleaners. (You are talking oz’s to the gallon) Once riding season begins, sugges adding a better cleaning product to the second tank full of gas.

Regular gas is good for a year and ethanol is good for up to about 6 months before any water issues according to a guy in the ethanol industry I talked to. He had no reason to bs me so I take his word on it. I just start my bike and let it warm up good every 2 weeks during the winter here in MN, no issues. I fill the gas tank to the very top before hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
stabil may be ok for a very few weeks...

my experience with any machine that sits for more than 16 weeks or so has been bad.

i stay away from stabil.

I have extensive experience with a feul bunker product called PRI-G.

1 qt treats like 500 gals.

https://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm

I actually put 25 gal in a 55 gal drum in 1999 and treated it with PRI-G.

I stored this container in a shed for 12 years. i opened it last summer and pulled the fuel.

it was darker in color.

i ran it in my mower as a test. started on second pull

I then ran it in my truck. perfect.

I store every machine i own with PRI-G in the tank/carbs.

it is very good stuff...

worth a look

I hear startron is good stuff too...

Regular gas is good for a year and ethanol is good for up to about 6 months before any water issues according to a guy in the ethanol industry I talked to. He had no reason to bs me so I take his word on it. I just start my bike and let it warm up good every 2 weeks during the winter here in MN, no issues. I fill the gas tank to the very top before hand.
I'd heard that was a bad idea as you can get condensation in the engine and exhaust which will rot it out from the inside. I would recommend seafoam and leave it alone until spring.

I'd heard that was a bad idea as you can get condensation in the engine and exhaust which will rot it out from the inside. I would recommend seafoam and leave it alone until spring.
You've got a point there, but then I heard that is only a problem if you don't let it warm up to operating temps, which is why short trips are so bad on an engine.

Dude...ANY commercially available fuel stabilizer will do what you need just fine. Stop stressing about stuff that doesn't need stressed about.

Fill up the bike, put the stabilizer in, ride 5 miles, park the bike, drink a beer...Or two.
Well????

Is it one or two???

C'mon, I gotta know...winter is bearing down on us and I wanna get this winterizing thing right!

Well????

Is it one or two???

C'mon, I gotta know...winter is bearing down on us and I wanna get this winterizing thing right!
Let's say one and then two...So, three.

Well????

Is it one or two???

Let's say one and then two...So, three.
It's got to be one... My wife often hears how I am stopping for "A" beer...