wireless audio or visual radar alert?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek

Reaction score
i'm concidering a fuzz buster but i don't know if i want to go with the H.A.R.D. visual alert or with wireless helmet speakers.

does the H.A.R.D. alert catch your attention in all light conditions etc...

i don't listen to tunes while i ride and the only way i would concider an audio alert is with wireless helmet speakers. (no ear buds)

has anyone used them both and settled on either?

derek

Audio alert is orders of magnitude better. With an audio alert:

1) You don't have to take your eyes off the road to know there is an alert.

2) You immediately know what band of radar the detecter is alerting to.

3) You immediately know the strength of the alert.

With a system like the H.A.R.D. or Marc Parnes Visual Alert, after an alert, you still have to look at the radar detector to see what band you are receiving, and picking up the signal strength is not immediate. These are very important factors.

One of the visual alerts will work, and I use one occasionally, but the audio alert is really the way to go.

I think I'm on the other end. I've not found a set of ear buds I can stand for any long distance ride while still providing adequate hearing protection.

I can hear my V1 if I'm at 70 or below, but it's a stretch. I use the Visual Alert and like it very much. Even on the brightest day it gets my attention and let off on that right hand. Then I pay attention to the sounds of the detector as I come out of warp.

Well then. You are just weird! Or not of this planet. :D

I can't here the Passport go off above 25mph. And I also have the Visual Alert, and while I find it fairly effective at night, during daylight, I CAN miss it. I have to concentrate, or train myself, to be looking for those leds going off. Audible is SO much better.

Iggy - have you considered installing helmet speakers?

I've wired my system for both. HARD visability depends on ambient lighting and orientation. If the led is directed into the eye it is easily visable day or night. Some adjustment is necessary at night. The led is blinding if not re directed. The audio is piped through my AutoCom into the custom moulded ear speakers.

Hear the tone, recognize the light and backloff. Then look at the display or decode the tone patteren.

Both have value. I like the toys and the redundency.

Hope this is usefull.

Although I sell the H.A.R.D. system, I have not yet tried it. Too many other projects!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok. thanks.

i'm leaning towards (wireless) helmet speakers.

can anyone steer me in the right direction? i don't need intercom or music capability. just a simple wireless speaker for the fuzz buster.

derek

Although I see the H.A.R.D. system, I have not yet tried it.
You mean sell, right?

I'm with Tinker. Why not run both? I don't always want to hook up audio when I roll, so a visual alert is a necessary redundency in my system. Of course, I'm speaking of the hopeful future of actually having a bike again, once it gets fixed.

I can hear my V1 if I'm at 70 or below, but it's a stretch.
Do you really need it at 70 or below? ;)

Do you really need it at 70 or below?
Youse guys that live west of the Mississippi River crack me up. ;) I most need my radar detector at speeds between 15 and 50 mph. The main roads in my town (NH state roads) are rutted, pot holed, narrow, winding, tree lined cow paths with a 40 mph speed limit. As I enter my town (combo police/fire station + 1 church) the road flattens, straightens, goes to 4 lanes wide but striped for only two lanes and the speed limit drops to 25 mph for a couple of miles. Man, I can't make myself go that slow. Guess where I see speed patrols every day? Note I didn't use the phrase 'speed trap'. I'm a local, I know they are there. You however, as a foreigner would see it as a speed trap. Carry the radar detector of your choice and use it. A ticket for 40 in a 25 is 15 over, a magic number for your insurance and license regardless that the speed you were going was only 40mph.

Alan