Wiring iPhone Charging Cord

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to wire a charging cord from the glove box junction but have a couple questions.

A. Is it possible to directly connect an iPhone pigtail to the location where the feed line connects to side of the glove box exterior?

B. Is the glove box circuit switched? Not important just curious.

C. will a pigtail with no fuse work OK?

I know thee are folks here who have a good understanding of the electrics of the FJR and can give good advice. Thanks. Art

I would like to wire a charging cord from the glove box junction but have a couple questions.

A. Is it possible to directly connect an iPhone pigtail to the location where the feed line connects to side of the glove box exterior?

B. Is the glove box circuit switched? Not important just curious.

C. will a pigtail with no fuse work OK?

I know thee are folks here who have a good understanding of the electrics of the FJR and can give good advice. Thanks. Art
A. Depends if your iPhone pigtail is designed for 12V. Most USB chargers run 5V so you would have to bring it down with some sort of an adapter.
B. The glove box circuit is switched. I plug a USB cigarette lighter adapter into the socket and plug my USB charging cable into that. Provides suitable voltage to charge various devices. You can run the wire out and still close (and latch) the cover as long as the wire isn't too thick and you route it via the corner. Alternatively, you can route the wire through the bottom of the glovebox.
C. I don't see a need for a separate fuse. The glovebox circuit is already fused at a suitable low amperage.

A. Depends if your iPhone pigtail is designed for 12V. Most USB chargers run 5V so you would have to bring it down with some sort of an adapter.
B. The glove box circuit is switched. I plug a USB cigarette lighter adapter into the socket and plug my USB charging cable into that. Provides suitable voltage to charge various devices. You can run the wire out and still close (and latch) the cover as long as the wire isn't too thick and you route it via the corner. Alternatively, you can route the wire through the bottom of the glovebox.
C. I don't see a need for a separate fuse. The glovebox circuit is already fused at a suitable low amperage.
Thanks Ross. The reason I wanted to use the connection outside the glove box is because my glove box is full of stuff I use on a regular basis. Perhaps I can find a USB cigarette lighter adapter that is very short and not protruding far into the glove box cavity.

An adapter like this sits completely in the power outlet body. AINOPE 90W USB C Car Charger super fast charging, Fast Car Charger with 3.3ft Nylon Type C Cable, Mini Cigarette Lighter USB Charger for iPhone 15/15 Pro Max/15 Plus/Samsung S24 Ultra,Piexl 7 Pro,iPad https://a.co/d/g6pNnsO

HTH, RiderJoe

Just make sure that what you are plugging does not exceed the fuse rating of the glovebox circuit. I believe that the glovebox socket is fused at 3 amps (12 V nominal). 36 watts or a total of 7 amps at 5 V. Plenty to charge a phone and a powerbank, if you want. Just don't try to run a compressor or heated gear on that circuit.

An adapter like this sits completely in the power outlet body. AINOPE 90W USB C Car Charger super fast charging, Fast Car Charger with 3.3ft Nylon Type C Cable, Mini Cigarette Lighter USB Charger for iPhone 15/15 Pro Max/15 Plus/Samsung S24 Ultra,Piexl 7 Pro,iPad https://a.co/d/g6pNnsO

HTH, RiderJoe
Thanks Joe, I ordered that brand on Amazon but the 30W w/o charging cord.. I have a lot of Apple cords. I will run the cord through the drain boot at the bottom of the glove box. This is strictly for iPhone. I have a fused pig tail from battery to run my battery tender.