wiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burt the plumber

Reaction score
I'm looking for info on the difficulty factor of wiring for trailer lights,and trailer hitch install,and I'm may be in the wrong forum but this seems to be a catch all ,my concern is the after effects on the electrical system.I've have wired older bikes no problem /V-65 /st1100 but they were older bikes .My current bike is a 2009 fjr

I used a Signal Dynamics unit that was part of my UNI-GO trailer kit. Easy hookup. All relays are built into the compact weather tight unit.

Your 09 FJR is equipped with ABS, so you'll definitely need to use some kind of relay setup so as not to affect the ABS operation or at least not have the ABS light coming on.

I bought the connector pair from Eastern Beaver

that's located on the left side of the bike and connects

the tail lights' sub-harness to the main harness.

I wired it as a short jumper with pigtails.

I bought an isolator from U-Haul that also converts

lighting from 5-wire to 4-wire.

The isolator is wired to the pigtails from the connector.

The isolator gets it's power directly from the battery,

bike's wiring serves only as a "signal" to convertor.

Net result is "plug and play" trailer wiring that is

easily removable and doesn't interfer with or tax the

bike's wiring. It even allows my AVCC to work with

the LED lights on the trailer.

Easy-Peasy and cheap: total cost was less than 50.00

I'm not clear on the reason for isolating the trailer lights. I just installed an auxilliary brake/turn signal light on my bike from Admore. THe wiring is exactly the same as what would be required for a trailer. I was actually thinking about just running another one out to the back of my trailer. The bike doesn't know where the wires or lights are.

Why would an isolator be necessary for a trailer, but not aux brake/turn signal lights?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not clear on the reason for isolating the trailer lights. I just installed an auxilliary brake/turn signal light on my bike from Admore. THe wiring is exactly the same as what would be required for a trailer. I was actually thinking about just running another one out to the back of my trailer. The bike doesn't know where the wires or lights are.

Why would an isolator be necessary for a trailer, but not aux brake/turn signal lights?
Typically, a trailer would use the same circuit for brake lights and directional signals. Like most modern cars, the FJR has a separate light for the turn signals. So, you need device to take the separate brake and turn signal circuits and combine them for the trailer lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically, a trailer would use the same circuit for brake lights and directional signals. Like most modern cars, the FJR has a separate light for the turn signals. So, you need device to take the separate brake and turn signal circuits and combine them for the trailer lights.
That would be the function of the convertor.

Additionally, an isolator prevents problems with the trailer's lighting

from becoming a problem with the bike's wiring or fuses, which could

potentially leave you without ANY lights at all.