wolo horn upgrades

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialk

Reaction score
what do you guys think about the disc horn on this page? picked it up a kragen because it looks more like the stock size than the other "loud one" horns (also shown on attached link)

https://www.wolo-mfg.com/elec.htm

do you think the disc horns will do the job or should I get the "full blast" which looks more like the magnum blaster (freeway blaster) that people here have mentioned before? even more appealing are the "maxi sound" horns...GEEZ!

I'm using the Freeway Blasters....a great addition.

There's no way to compare them using the website. The freeway blasters work very well.

the TM80 is plenty loud and is less space dependent than the Nautilus

plus there is a plug n' play wiring harness from Brodie I think...

I am very happy with the TM80...YMMV

Alfredo

When I bought my Triumph Trophy (used) last year, one of the things I found that needed sorting was the horn. The stock one was a disc type horn and the sound output was pitiful. I read on the Triumph Rat forum that some frugal folks had adjusted the screw on the disk to coax more noise out, but I tried and could not get adequate sound. It seriously had that "Meep-meep" sound in the roadrunner cartoons. :glare:

Swung by the local Auto Zone and they carry this Wolo brand of aftermarket replacement horns. I was tempted to go with a disc type replacement for a stock appearance, but instead opted for buying one of the "Full Blast" horns, which I believe are the same as what Mike is calling Highway Blasters".

Unfortunately, I can't recall whether I got the High or Low tone horn, but I want to tell you it is MUCH, MUCH louder than the stock FJR horn, nevermind the Triumph horn I was replacing. Even with the single tone, it sounds much more like a car or truck horn than a motorcycle horn, and that is a good thing.

If someone is really interested I do have an SPL meter and could do a measured comparison if coaxed.

While looking at the Wolo link, took notice where they were located; just about 15 minutes east of me. Shot over there this afternoon and, while no retail counter, the ladies in the office had no problem writing up a sale. Even had one of the guys come up from the back who gave some suggestions. Told him where they were being used and ended up taking the Maxi Sound (model 320-2T) which he said was actually two of the Loud Ones packaged together. Said they had very little draw and would have no problem making the simple swap. (Also took one Full Blast (low) on Fred's word and which might find its way into my truck as the stocks sound pretty lame. Was told to go to a 20 amp fuse though from the probable 15 that's there now.) Anyway, they did swap out cleanly although not crazy about the supplied brackets. Also had to extend the wires about 8" on the right side as the harness had no play in it. Bottom line though is the tremendous difference in sound. For thirty bucks and thirty minutes of time, it was a no-brainer.