Wonder Where the FJR is Built?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bender

Reaction score
I was looking through the Yamaha Global Site looking for an idea where the FJR is being built, as an ST1300 owner/friend of mine was wondering if the ST and FJR were built in the same region of Japan.

I was amazed at how big Yamaha really is. The FJR USA market is a drop in the bucket to these guys. Ever wonder why we get limited response? Click the above link and look at the scope of their undertakings. I mean really drill down through the links. 60 factories and countless suppliers and affiliates. And Honda is even bigger than that. Wow. Not an excuse for limited response, perhaps a reason.

Maybe we should be thankful they took the time to do upgrades to the FJR. As important as we all think we are, we're not exactly big potatoes in their global scheme of things.

And I never did figure out where the FJR is made. Any ideas?

In a secret location, deep in the wilderness of Japan. And, yes, the U.S. market for these bikes is small potatoes compared to the Yerpean market then compared to the overall amount of vehicles Yamaha builds.

I was told FJR's were made in Mexico, the plant is somewhere on the outskirts of Acapulco......

Man, you gotta luv them Mexicans........they got the best beer, bikes, grass & women.....

And 4 out of 4 ain't bad....

I was told FJR's were made in Mexico
Mmmh...would that explain the long waiting time some complain about? :rolleyes:

Yammyplant.jpg

...and it would explain this "heat" thing that some talk about.

Deportiva

Quiero viajar con mi motocicleta

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, you gotta luv them Mexicans........they got the best beer, bikes, grass & women...
When did Mexico start making Guinness?

3 outta 4

When did Mexico start birthing Columbian women?

2 outta 4

When did Mexico start growing Maui Wowie?

1 outta 4

When did Mexico start growing Maui Wowie?
1 outta 4
Ok, I'll admit it when I'm wrong....Your right about the Maui Wowie!!! I just got back from Maui and one of the guys in my Golf foursome had a joint of Wowie and it was the best of the best!

Man, we had fun,,,,don't remember much about the round of golf other than we were saying (Wow, look at that, Isn't that a beautiful site!...) a lot, and oh yea, we said (I'm starving) a lot too...

That Plantation Course at Kapalua is undoubtedly the best course to play STONED....

Mr. CENTERLINE is correct!

Ahh...the knowledge you need Grasshopper is hidden in the first digit of the VIN number on every US bound vehicle for many decades now.

If the first letter in your FJR's VIN is "J" then it was built in Japan.

:akido:

Tips to understanding your vehicles serial (VIN) number

They are as follows:

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.

For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

Position Section Information

1-2 WMI country code

2-3 manufacturer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4-8 VDS equipment codes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 check digit

10 VIS model year

11 manufacturing plant

12-17 serial number

or

10 VIS model year

11 manufacturing plant

12-14 WMI suffix

15-17 serial number

Requirements for Motorcycle Manufacturers

https://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/mcpkg002.pdf

RB :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :alcoholic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey whats the chance all these "tickers" that exist were built in the same location? With the vin coding the repair man has given maybe we could pin a post with the vin numbers of tickers, or suspected tickers here. :huh:

:jester:

Hey, great news, I got a new job with the D.E.A. Ride safe, Painman. ;)
The guy who had the joint in Maui worked for the D.E.A too. He said they don't pay shit, but they can play all the golf they want and never run out of good smoke !

Yep, fringe benefits make the job.....

The guy who had the joint in Maui worked for the D.E.A too. He said they don't pay shit, but they can play all the golf they want and never run out of good smoke !

Yep, fringe benefits make the job.....
:clown2: :clown2: :clown2: :clown2: :clown2:

-BD

Why do you think they call it dope? Duh?

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

=======Maybe we should be thankful they took the time to do upgrades to the FJR. As important as we all think we are, we're not exactly big potatoes in their global scheme of things.======

I posted on the other site about a year back in response to a similer remark that the entire USA years sales of FJR's would take Yamaha less than a morning to produce. The production per day was either 18,000 or 28,000 motorcycles

PER DAY !!!!! and that was 20 years ago.

Now that's a lot of motorcycles.

Perhaps now it can be understood that a few tickers are not a big deal for Yamaha

Howard