Worth updating the SENA SMH10 Firmware?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember that with the upgrade, they upgrade the whole unit...The new one comes with a standard USB charging port instead of the little round one currently in them.

It may be worth it just for that...But like you, I haven't sent mine in, as it is working fine, and I like it.

Working fine with version 2.1, should I even bother upgrading?

Alexi
I'm surprised they are still giving you the option. I bought mine in late June about a week before they brought out the new units but there was no way I was going to do without them during peak riding season. I inquired about upgrading post labour day and they said it would cost me $115 per unit vs the original $45 or whatever it was.

Working fine with version 2.1, should I even bother upgrading?

Alexi
I'm surprised they are still giving you the option. I bought mine in late June about a week before they brought out the new units but there was no way I was going to do without them during peak riding season. I inquired about upgrading post labour day and they said it would cost me $115 per unit vs the original $45 or whatever it was.

Oh shit!!

Me thinks his question is not whether to try to do a swap of the unit for a newer one (which is no longer an option), but whether he should do the firmware update on the one that he has. The answer is YES. In addition to fixing a few issues with the unit, the SMH10 Manager software also allows you to modify some of the unit settings, such as being able to disable or enable Intercom VOX or Handsfree VOX. The process is quick and easy.

BTW, the way to tell if your unit is the newer, firmware-upgradeable unit is if it has a micro-B USB power connector on it. The old ones that can't be upgraded have a round power cord plug-in.

Looks like this:

71008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Me thinks his question is not whether to try to do a swap of the unit for a newer one (which is no longer an option), but whether he should do the firmware update on the one that he has. The answer is YES. In addition to fixing a few issues with the unit, the SMH10 Manager software also allows you to modify some of the unit settings, such as being able to disable or enable Intercom VOX or Handsfree VOX. The process is quick and easy.

BTW, the way to tell if your unit is the newer, firmware-upgradeable unit is if it has a micro-B USB power connector on it. The old ones that can't be upgraded have a round power cord plug-in.
WHOOPS!!!

This is EXACTLY what I was asking, LDRydr. I need to be more specific in how I word things!!! Sorry! I DID mean firmware!!!

I guess the unit I have is the newer version as it has that micro-usb port. It just says I got version 2.1, which I believe is the older firmware.

However in the manual, it already says I can disable or enable VOX. I'll see what other upgrades they made and see if it's worth it. As long as they didn't take AWAY device compatibility, I guess I'll probably be ok.

Alexi

WHOOPS!!!

This is EXACTLY what I was asking, LDRydr. I need to be more specific in how I word things!!! Sorry! I DID mean firmware!!!

I guess the unit I have is the newer version as it has that micro-usb port. It just says I got version 2.1, which I believe is the older firmware.

However in the manual, it already says I can disable or enable VOX. I'll see what other upgrades they made and see if it's worth it. As long as they didn't take AWAY device compatibility, I guess I'll probably be ok.

Alexi
I just updated my units today to firmware v.3.2 with no issues. I did make sure I had the latest version of the management software (v.1.1) first.

I upgraded the FW in my 6 month old units. A week later one went DOA...wont even power up so it's off for warranty work right now. Not saying it was the FW update, just sh** bad luck.

I think some water got in it during one of my commutes and fried the board or shorted out the battery. If so, that's surprising because my wife and I rode straight through the tropical storm back in September for 5+ hrs and never had a single issue.

Something to ponder...

I missed out on the $45 upgrade due to a long trip in the same time period. Figured it was not that big of an issue to worry about. On the last leg of my trip, I had trouble plugging in the power cord to charge the unit. Something had come loose in the power port. When I got back, called and got an RMA for warranty repair. A week later they sent me one of the new units as a replacement.

Smiling ear to ear!!!

Props to Sena for backing up their warranty!

Sent in the bad one and they are shipping me a new one to arrive next week!