Would YES cover the failure of a sidebag latch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I read through the YES contract and couldn't find anything that specifically says that they would not cover the failure of a sidebag latch but I suspect they probably wouldn't cover it. I lost a bag back in November that had been attached to the bike for hundreds of miles and after looking at it closer today I see that the latch slipped a tooth the same way as others have reported. After spending the better part of 15 minutes trying to reengage it I didn't manage to get it back into its original position. Thanks to COTA I have a set of hitch pins holding the bags on but I was wondering if anybody else has tried to get a repair of the bag latch through the YES program. I don't recall there ever being a discussion about it.

Seems that Iggy had the same thing happen and was able to get his replaced under YES. Can't hurt to talk to your local dealer. Good Luck!

--G

Edit -- Here is the Saddlebag Discussion that I was thinking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a tough one. Hard to prove the latch failed Vs you not latching it correctly. Especially now that you've put it back in the proper cog. Having had some phone time with Yamaha and a denied YES claim, all I can really say is some would depend on how your dealer brought it up to them. If he believes you and goes to bat for you, saying it's clearly a failure of the latch, you might just have a shot. If he's ambiguous, or doesn't believe you, you're screwed.

I concur with what 'OCfjr' said ^^^^ (regarding dealer relations/support).

It's been my experience with m/c warranty items that the dealer can really "grease the skids" for you.

One reason to not burn too many bridges... :blink:

escapefjrtist found the reference for me.

Concur that it might be harder to demonstrate after the fact with a roadrashed bag. However, when I had mine covered both myself and the head mechanic sat with a good bag and the suspect bag comparing their operation. When he saw that the latch had play in it when closed....and how the bag could be taken off the bike....he agreed and ordered a new bag under YES. In my case there wasn't any hassle with Yamaha, but it was an intact bag.

This is another good reason to try and develop a relationship with a dealer near you instead of buying a bike or YES from someone not in your area. Yea, yea, all dealers are supposed to honor the YES, or warranty work no matter where you buy it from, but from the dealers point of view, why would you cater to someone on just the warranty work when you bought the product from someone who you might not even have had face to face contact with just to "maybe" saved a couple of bucks? I'm sure there are some dealers that will not work with you, and frankly, I can't believe they can stay in business with that attitude, but there are always two sides to every story, and we only get one side on this forum. Maybe, I am spoiled (I doubt it) but I have a good relationship with my dealer, and bought the 4 year YES from him for $25 more than D&H's price after a short negotiation with him.

I also do most of my own maintainence work myself, and he knows it, but get most of my parts from him at a fair price. As a matter of fact, when I traded my 02 VTX 1800 in for the new 08 FJR, (VTX was bought new from him) the deal was done in February without him even looking at my VTX trade in. I have harped on this subject before without much support from this forum, but I still believe that if you invest a little time with developing a relationship with your local dealer, the long term payoff will be worth it. Just stop in once in a while to B.S.with them...they are people too. If you moved since buying the bike or product, you can still get good service with some "people skills".

Does anyone else agree with me, or am I just wasting space here? :rolleyes:

BTW, my local dealer is Sindt Motors in Dubuque, Iowa.

You're wasting space. No one should have to be their friend to get good service. The number of bad dealer experiences so far out weigh the good ones it's not even funny.

And FWIW, I'm currently diagnosing a problem the dealer caused with my bike when I let them work on it. Peachy. Why bother to let them touch it if I have to re-check their work, (at best), or correct things they screwed up.

The dealer I trusted to work on my bike went out of business. If I had to guess, I'd say too much overhead and multiple dealerships too close together, the owner consolidated into one, but gave up the Yamaha franchise.

<snip>...all I can really say is some would depend on how your dealer brought it up to them. If he believes you and goes to bat for you, saying it's clearly a failure of the latch, you might just have a shot. If he's ambiguous, or doesn't believe you, you're screwed.
I concur with what 'OCfjr' said ^^^^ (regarding dealer relations/support).
You're wasting space. No one should have to be their friend to get good service. The number of bad dealer experiences so far out weigh the good ones it's not even funny.
Sorry, 'OCfjr', I guess I misinterpreted your sentiments about dealers...? :unsure:

I see you've set the record straight...! :angry:

I can agree with both sides of the dealer relationships presented here. I would HOPE all dealers would be customer advocates, no need to kiss ass being required.

On the other hand, not being a stranger can only be a good thing. You get to smell new rubber in the winter and help them get through another no sales day with some good motorcycle banter and perhaps pick up an accessory or two helping them get past the thin a little better.

Mostly, not being someone YOU wouldn't want to have to deal with goes a long way when you're seeking warranty work. Good luck Axeman !

I can agree with both sides of the dealer relationships presented here. I would HOPE all dealers would be customer advocates, no need to kiss ass being required.
On the other hand, not being a stranger can only be a good thing. You get to smell new rubber in the winter and help them get through another no sales day with some good motorcycle banter and perhaps pick up an accessory or two helping them get past the thin a little better.

Mostly, not being someone YOU wouldn't want to have to deal with goes a long way when you're seeking warranty work. Good luck Axeman !
I don't recall anywhere in my post about kissing ass. If getting to know your dealer is ass kissing, I guess that is your interpretation, and you will be doing a lot of it in other situations in your life. My condolenses. :unsure:

I saved over 2K in price differential from local to D&H. I think I can buy a few bags at that savings. My dealer wouldn't budge on price and I had already purchased my previous bike from him/Her. I do buy whatever I need for both bikes from them so they do get my aftermarket support and repair service.

Dave

I don't recall anywhere in my post about kissing ass. If getting to know your dealer is ass kissing, I guess that is your interpretation, and you will be doing a lot of it in other situations in your life. My condolenses. :unsure:
And I don't recall calling you a kiss ass. See the other bolded part about getting along. <_< If you took it that way, my apologies.

Sorry, 'OCfjr', I guess I misinterpreted your sentiments about dealers...? :unsure: I see you've set the record straight...! :angry:
What's your point amigo? You shouldn't have to be a familiar face with the dealer to have them believe you and take the time to look at your bike before deciding if they will help you. Sure, people lie about stuff and try to get warranty repairs. Most of that it obvious. A good dealer would take the time to examine the bike and explore the issue before calling Yamaha, and give the owner an honest opinion/expectation of the outcome. It's not costing them any cash to fix a warranty problem.

This is another good reason to try and develop a relationship with a dealer near you
Unfortunately, Axe's location on the tip of Long Island means that he doesn't have a dealer near him. In order for him to have a choice of dealers he has to take a three ferry ride across Long Island Sound and leave his bike in CT, RI or MA and then take a room until it's fixed or try and find a way home.

It certainly would be worth while for him to spend a quarter or two and call his preferred dealer and at least open some dialog.

Apparently I am a graduate of the Evelin Wood Hed Sped Reddin Course. Reading stuff without using my comprenshun skilz :blush: Sorry, my bad Fjrchooser. Also sorry for semi hijacking this thread. Sounds like Ionbeam has the right idea about letting your fingers doing the walking because of your location Axeman.

OK...I'll shut up now!

What's your point amigo?
Well, apparently I mistakenly took your previous post (below) to mean you were in favor of developing a working relationship with a dealer.

...all I can really say is some would depend on how your dealer brought it up to them. If he believes you and goes to bat for you, saying it's clearly a failure of the latch, you might just have a shot.
But, from what you've posted:

No one should have to be their friend to get good service. The number of bad dealer experiences so far out weigh the good ones it's not even funny....Why bother to let them touch it if I have to re-check their work, (at best), or correct things they screwed up.
It appears you don't recommend having anything to do with dealers -- much less trying to develope a relationship?

My mistake... :huh:

What's your point amigo?
Well, apparently I mistakenly took your previous post (below) to mean you were in favor of developing a working relationship with a dealer.

...all I can really say is some would depend on how your dealer brought it up to them. If he believes you and goes to bat for you, saying it's clearly a failure of the latch, you might just have a shot.
But, from what you've posted:

No one should have to be their friend to get good service. The number of bad dealer experiences so far out weigh the good ones it's not even funny....Why bother to let them touch it if I have to re-check their work, (at best), or correct things they screwed up.
It appears you don't recommend having anything to do with dealers -- much less trying to develope a relationship?

My mistake... :huh:
To be clear, yes, you misunderstood. My statement above that you quoted merely suggests that the dealer has input and may or may not help you, but his help makes a difference.

The second quote you did get, I personally have no desire what so ever to cross a dealer's doorway. It only means I'm going to pay more for something and get poor service. I wish that was not so. I'm not paying $100 more for a set of tires just so he can stay open and operate foolishly. That may mean someday I'll have to change my own tires or pick up a crated new bike from a dock and 'assemble' it myself. I'm ok with that.

Axe, if I remember correctly we compared the the teeth on your bag to mine and you could see significant wear which could have been the cause of your latch failure. I will be going to Razee later in the week and will check with service.