Would you ride this tire 2000 more miles?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhendron

Reaction score
If I could have posted this directly to NEPRT, I would have. I'm heading to Denver from Phoenix tomorrow and then back again. I've dismissed the idea of replacing this before the trip several times, but now that the trip is near, I'm concerned and reconsidering. Comments? (rear tire)

a7450663-a8fe-44f7-993e-db31012bf38c_zps0f29650e.jpg

Would you ride this tire 2000 more miles?
Uhhhhh -- NO! Hot, flat 'n fast will dissolve the tire. Unless you like drama ;)

NEPRT has to be gifted to you by an admin, it's the Forum's version of the ignobles.

I had a rear tire on the Venture Royale. I was in Dallas at a rally finish and I noticed it was "getting low".

Still, I had to get home. 500 miles later it looked like this:

DSCN1460-L.jpg

So no, I wouldn't do that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO!

For evidence take a look in Images and Videos at the Key West trip post.

This happened from about the same wear point on yours, then after approx. 900 miles!!

Is that a PR2? Some tires will last a lot longer once into the wear bars than others. Based on my experience, Michelins are better than Metzelers or Pirellis in that respect.

In any case, I agree with the others. that I would not ride that tire 2K miles in the heat.

No. I would ride it about 700 miles but do it near home in two 300 mile +/- days

Phoenix is a flat grid. I ride every day. Not a whole lot of opportunities to lean..
not_i.gif

EDIT: Probably more to do with me accelerating hard away from stop lights....
rockwoot.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a PR2? Some tires will last a lot longer once into the wear bars than others. Based on my experience, Michelins are better than Metzelers or Pirellis in that respect.
In any case, I agree with the others. that I would not ride that tire 2K miles in the heat.
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
Now that we know what model it is, how many miles do you have on it? Since it is not a dedicated sport/touring tire, just wondering how it worked out for you.

Remember too that the wear bars indicate the MINIMUM legal tread. That is not the same as sufficient tread, especially in wet weather. That tire is already compromised.