Would you ride this tire 2000 more miles?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
Which begs the question "why would you put a crotch rocket tire on a motorhome? That's like putting a thong on beemerdons....not that that HASN'T been done....but still leaves the "WHY?"
I'm with RadioHowie, on both counts! Yamaha Power Sports Chandler has a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's in stock right now. They were holding them for my 2013 FJR, but I would release them to you before you leave for Denver. 105F today in Phoenix and I would not leave the Valley of the Blast Furnace on those skins, in our intense heat and with the weight of our FJR's a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT is a BAD choice for our Yamaha's! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

PS: (RH, thong photo was just faxed to you!).

Last edited by a moderator:
PS: (RH, thong photo was just faxed to you!).
Sweeeeet!!! I've got a rat infestation FOR WHICH that would be perfect for!!!
laugh.png

(damn, that dangling participle has been bugging the shit outta me all day!)

Last edited by a moderator:
You all are funny. Seriously, though, thank you for slapping me into reality. What I was considering was foolish. I mounted a brand-new Michelin PR3 yesterday afternoon, date code 45/13. The rationale behind the 2ct was that the dual compound would lead to less tire wear in the center, but that did not work, obviously. Oh, I got about 5500 miles out of that rear.

Not only would I not use that tire, I wouldn't save it for re-mounting unless I owned a tire machine. I had one that looked better than that and burned it off going to the Southeast Ohio gathering. That was on cooler, smoother roads. The southwest will eat that thing up to the belts in less than 800 miles.

I have been offered Pilot Power tires, and declined. Suggest you do the same if distance means anything.

The rationale behind the 2ct was that the dual compound would lead to less tire wear in the center, but that did not work, obviously. Oh, I got about 5500 miles out of that rear.
The comments aren't referencing the dual compound. It is the Pilot Power part. Of course your PR3 is dual compound and you ought to get double the miles. Woohoo

I don't understand, why would you ask what others would do?
innocent.gif
That should be your call and your call alone. After all it's you that has to live with the consequences, good or bad...
yeaahh.gif

You all are funny. Seriously, though, thank you for slapping me into reality. What I was considering was foolish. I mounted a brand-new Michelin PR3 yesterday afternoon, date code 45/13. The rationale behind the 2ct was that the dual compound would lead to less tire wear in the center, but that did not work, obviously. Oh, I got about 5500 miles out of that rear.
I'm betting you got quite a few more miles out of the 2ct Pilot Power than you would have other wise but any type of Pilot Road would have probably been a better choice. I wouldn't use that tire for more than an afternoon ride. Its toast.

I'm betting you got quite a few more miles out of the 2ct Pilot Power than you would have other wise but any type of Pilot Road would have probably been a better choice. I wouldn't use that tire for more than an afternoon ride. Its toast.
5500 miles was better than I thought from a tire geared more for sport bikes. Sport/touring tires are very good these days at providing traction close to more sporty models while lasting much longer. I did a track day on a new set of Bridgestone BT023GT's, A group pace, and was actually surprised at how well they stuck at elevated "closed course" corner speeds.

Oh, and at this writing, those same tires that gripped so well on track have over 10,000 miles on them with about a thousand left in the rear and the front still looking great.

I don't understand, why would you ask what others would do?
innocent.gif
That should be your call and your call alone. After all it's you that has to live with the consequences, good or bad...
yeaahh.gif
Because I'm nowhere near as experienced or knowledgeable as many members on this forum and I appreciate their input.