Wow...!! CalSci windscreen...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shu,

As previously noted, I also appreciated your post on the shield. Lot of effort and detail in that report. And I’m with you it would have been nice to have a better fit at the bottom of the shield behind the decorative “W”. :unsure:

I have the medium CalSci shield on my 06 and I have noticed that the bike rides a bit warmer. This is clearly due to the reduced airflow from the larger shield - which also reduces buffetting, etc. It gives the heat off the engine more opportunity to rise up to you face level. Definitely a tradeoff.

Regarding helmets, I've noticed that my Shoei x-11 rides a bit quieter than my Arai Corsair, with less buffeting effect. Both are well ventilated helmets. The Arai seems to be a bit shorter and lets in more airflow around the bottom of the helmet (not a bad thing in TX summer riding) which increases noise as well as airflow around my face.

Tha Shoei is quieter, with less air flow around the face. Both weem to vent the rest of the helment about the same. The Shoie might flow a bit more air around the scalp. I think the large vent channels on the Arai also contribute to wind noise on that hat.

Tag,

I was at Sloan’s yesterday when I noticed another significant difference between the more expensive Shoei helmets and my considerably less expensive HJC. The difference in weight was a shock. My helmet feels to me like it weighs almost twice as much as one of the Shoei helmets I picked up.

I think I am now officially shopping for a new helmet.

Shokdimn, do it. I had an HJC AC-10 and went to an Arai uh... crap, what do I own? :)

Anyway, that doesn't matter. Use the HJC as your passenger spare and get something better and lighter.

Make sure your head fits the helmet! I know that sounds stupid, but for the life of me I cannot wear a Shoei. My head shape isn't right for it. My Arai fits my head like it was tailor made.

Plenty of helmet choices, so try 'em all!

Whoops... this is a windscreen thread!

Jay,

Understood! :p

Only thing is my wife was with me at the cycle shop. She did a double take :glare: when I handed her that lightweight helmet. She is my passenger. And you know what that means! B)