Wow!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjd

Reaction score
Bought escapefjrtist's 2006 a few months back and ever since summer ended here in Phoenix have been taking it out into the mountains and enjoying how it handles high-speed sweepers. Recently took it on a very tight set of turns (15 to 25 mph) and was truly shocked at how well the bike can be flipped from side to side with very little effort while maintaining a pretty good speed. The Bridgestone BT-023's really did a good job. Lean rate is very linear and controllable -- never felt like it was flopping over and was easy to make small adjustments mid-turn. Also able to brake deeper into corners than I expected. When I sold my Honda VFR I really thought I was kissing this type of riding goodbye, so this is a very pleasant surprise, though over 600 lbs of M/C tends to make you ride a little bit more responsibly...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wore out the stock BT 020 front in pretty short order, followed by the rear. I replaced 'em with the o23GT and the difference was amazing! Also, the tires seem to be wearing a lot better.

I know some forumites have disparaging things to say about Bridgestones, and I agree the stockers sucked, but the '23GTs are a whole other story, IMO

I'm running 40PSI front and 43PSI rear, and check the pressure before every ride.

Of course, I'm not doing a whole lotta that right now, as my 1/8 mile long driveway is completely iced up, and the highways around here are heavily salted and sanded, or covered in ice and snow, or both :(

Glad you are having a great time in the twisties. Just watch out for gravel patches forest rats. With 600 lbs you can actually rip a forest rat in half and not go down. Sustaining massive damage is another story though as one of our members can attest.

Good to hear from you Mjd!

Sounds like the old '06 is treating you well along with the '023GTs. You'll find high-speed sweepers are the FJRs playground...at least with me on one! ;) Don't forget in the tight stuff you'll run out of ground clearance faster than the VFR! :)

--G

Yep, she handles quite well for a bigger girl. Where were your tight turns? Back way up to Prescott by chance?

You should come join us this in two days for the Wednesday night get-together in Gilbert at Buffalo Wild Wings.........

I really thought I was kissing this type of riding goodbye, so this is a very pleasant surprise, though over 600 lbs of M/C tends to make you ride a little bit more responsibly...
Riding more responsibly on an FJR??? :blink: :lol:
You got me there. Not sure how you are supposed to ride these things at the speed limit.

Yep, she handles quite well for a bigger girl. Where were your tight turns? Back way up to Prescott by chance?

You should come join us this in two days for the Wednesday night get-together in Gilbert at Buffalo Wild Wings.........
Tight turns were on the road to Tortilla Flat. Road is in such poor condition not sure I want to subject the bike to it again. Ever since I did it, though, am dying to get the time to do Prescott.

If I can make it Wednesday I will -- what time?

Good to hear from you Mjd!

Sounds like the old '06 is treating you well along with the '023GTs. You'll find high-speed sweepers are the FJRs playground...at least with me on one! ;) Don't forget in the tight stuff you'll run out of ground clearance faster than the VFR! :)

--G
The old '06 treating me very well and still got a lot of miles in her. Perfect bike for this part of the world!

Tight turns were on the road to Tortilla Flat. Road is in such poor condition not sure I want to subject the bike to it again. Ever since I did it, though, am dying to get the time to do Prescott.

If I can make it Wednesday I will -- what time?
6pm - Clicky for info.

I have been to Tortilla Flat twice in the last month or so and the road has gotten to be just terrible. I don't eve try to have any fun on it anymore. Wonder when they will re-pave it? If you go past Tortilla Flat the pavement is excellent and you can have some fun until it turns to gravel.

I love the back way up to Prescott. Probably my favorite road in Arizona.