• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB: 2003-2006 FJR (meeting certain criteria)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHewy

Reaction score
I'm looking, and serious about buying, a used, very good / excellent condition FJR. My location is Western Central Ohio. I'm flexible on looking in Indiana, Kentucky, or even possibly lower Michigan for one. I'm pretty particular about what I want, and I'm just saying that up front. I dont even look at bikes that have been laid down. I dont like stickers, scratches, dings, chips, etc. If aftermarket stuff is on it, it should look professional, not "I got the barbie tool-kit out and half assed it" type of job. I'm sure I will not run into that here, but trust me, I looked at a like new Pacific Coast that had smurf, peterpan, and dragon stickers on it after a long drive and I have to say that will raise the blood pressure. I'll attach a picture just because it has to be seen to believe. Anyway looking for FJR

2003-2006

price range is really about 7.5k max

like silver but, hey, will get what I can

no leaks, etc.

maintenance on schedule

I guess the price range dictates it all. I've seen a lot of nice bikes on here, but out of my range. That bike in California that is still for sale is beautiful, but too far to achieve. I've got correspondence going on with a couple of sellers now...I have not seen their bikes yet, but do plan on it. Obviously I want to keep all options open and see what all is out there within my price range.

Thanks,

Chewy

Here's my / wife's Kaw (process of selling).

Here's my GS500F starter bike (I sold) I'll miss that little rocket.

Here's the PC800 I wasted a whole day going to see and getting my blood pressure pegged out..notice the Peter Pan stickers ON THE INSTRUMENT PANEL and the smurt on the tank. Oh yeah, that tube in the fairing....he drilled it so he could drink water out of a cooler in the trunk on the fly. I had been told it was like new, but it had been dropped, the fairing (right) was cracked, stickers galore, faded, scratched, chipped, bad job on extras, etc. Dont get me started. Anyway, hopefully you can see what I have had and what I dont want to mess with. Honestly, I could probably run a whole long thread just about that bike....seriously, look at the peter pan stickers on the dash! I about crapped! Ended the day hitting a bird at 90mph on my bike on the way home and then had to ride through a termite swarm....tell tale signs of a bad day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can sell you my '05 (with only 5700 miles) that exceeds your criteria. But I'm not parting with it for a penny less than 9500, which is much more reasonable than trying to find a cherry FJR for 7500. 9500 is a bargain and it pains me to even go that low.

9500 is a bargain and it pains me to even go that low.
Hmmmm.............

Not quite. Depends on the farkles you have. More info on your FJR is needed to justify the label of 'bargain' for your year and mileage.

I bought the bike new in May 2005, along with a YES contract that runs through May 2010. It's an ABS model and includes several after market parts and accessories. It has only 5,700 miles, and has never been down, or even scratched. A new set of Avon Storms installed 300 miles ago. Parts and accessories include: Full Muzzy exhaust system, with carbon fiber can (4-2-1). Cat-con has been eliminated. PC III, K&N air filter, Throttlemeister, Mako frame sliders that have been extended an extra 3/4 inch. Geza custom FJR cover. Buyer is welcome to the factory header and cans, which are virtually new and in perfect condition.

This is the WTB forum now?

ADMIN NOTE: Fixed...moved thread.

To Chewy, I gave less than 6K for my '03, it's great, I love it.

You wouldn't.

It's got dragon stickers on the fairing.

One of the bags is scratched, like it went against a garage door frame or something.

The tank's got a screwdriver nick.

All the plastic has little scratches here and there. Not like it's been road rashed, but like it's been bumped against things, or things have been bumped against it.

The seat's perfect, but I've just found out it's actually from an '05, so it's not original.

The luggage rack has a really big scrape mark on the right side. That's OK, 'cause it had to come off to install the Givi top case.

The fairings had holes drilled for sliders, but the sliders weren't there. (They are now, I found a used set at a good price on this board.)

There was Velcro all over the tops of the fluid reservoirs, and a couple of places on the handlebars, where things like satellite radio or GPS would have been mounted.

Not a single bit of this has made the slightest dent in my enjoyment of the bike. None of it shows from more than 5 feet away from the bike. It's a 4-year-old bike with >40,000 miles when I got it. It's gonna show wear and tear. I fully expect something major to die any day now and try to make me sorry I bought it. It'll get fixed and I'll put some more miles on it.

But hey, it's silver!!! Gotta like that, huh?

I don't mean to be harsh, but nobody cares what your other bikes look like, or what the PC looked like. Has nothing to do with buying a feej. Lighten up, have a look at what's out there, and if you want a pristine bike, go to a showroom.

Chewy: How much for the Kawi that your selling. Year, Miles. Condition, etc...

Thanks,

JW

Since you're looking for a pristine bike for $7500, you've pretty much narrowed it down to an '03. General rule of thumb for FJRs in good condition, well maintained, moderately farkled goes up about $1k for each year newer than that. Again, this is a generalization, but I think most here will agree it's reasonably accurate. Your take on the PC8 says you're particular about your bikes. Nothing wrong with that, but you do need to keep your expectations realistic. Yes, the stickers look retarded, but 15 minutes with a hair dryer would fix that. The hose through the fairing?? Get a little black plastic plug for the hole and get on with your life. Given your obvious desire for something clean and original, your price limit IS the limiting factor. On the upside, fall is upon us, so it will soon become a buyer's market. But I still think you're gonna be hard pressed to find a truly nice example newer than '03 for that price. Good luck with your search though...as always, timing is everything.

$7,500 for a mint 06, sorry but it ain't going to happen. Not to tick off other year owners, but an 06 or 07 are the only years I would consider because of the heat issues with the 05's and below. I took my 06 for one last trek yesteday and was stuck in some stop and go city traffic and felt the heat. I can't imagine the older years in the same situation.............

The lowest priced I have ever heard for an 06 was $8,500 but it had been laid down.

I think Chewbacca has left the building? Might just be occupied with saving another Galactic Empire or sumptin? :unsure: