• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB - BeadRider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOgre

Reaction score
Looking for a front BeadRider to try out. Never sat on one and, as my Gel Pad is giving up the ghost, thought I'd give one a go.

I just happened to get one. Not selling it tho.

I have a Sargent, had it for a while, I like it quite a bit. I got the bead rider just to have something else there.

So far, I really like it. Much more air flow where it count. And very comfortable. Been on 3 rides with it, its still on.

Will be even better in the summer.

I got the Ultimate Bead Rider, cost me like $78 inc shipping. Well worth it.

Just my 2 cents........

BigDogRaven,

I also have the Sargent on a Gen II and would like more height. I see the site recommends 11x11" for the stock seat. Did you go to the 12x12" for the Sargent?

Looking for a front BeadRider to try out. Never sat on one and, as my Gel Pad is giving up the ghost, thought I'd give one a go.
I did a brief survey comparing Bead Rider to AirHawk a few years ago. Each has its adherents, some like both.

It turned out that riders with skinny butts generally found the BeadRider uncomfortable, and those with, shall we say, a little more upholstery, loved the BeadRider and found the AirHawk a bit too "squirmy".

I love my AirHawk but in truth have used it very little since I bought Russell. I am 6' 180lbs and skinny in the butt department.

Some judge them by the look--and they look like they might be uncomfortable. All those hard wooden beads. Who'd want to sit on that? But of course the beads sink down a bit into your saddle and don't dig into your butt as you might expect, or as they would if you put them on top of a wooden chair. They do feel different at first, but after a couple days it won me over. I've had one for at least four years, maybe five. Amazingly, it's the same one--it's held up great. Paint's worn off the beads, but the webbing material is amazingly tough. I'm guessing at least 75,000 miles so far.

I don't think you feel airflow under you, but it definitely is there, and helps fight sweat-related discomfort. Well worth the reasonable cost to just buy a new one, IMO. Don't worry about the size; it just sits on the seat, held in place with semi-stretchy cord, doesn't need to "fit" on the seat, just needs to be under you. Get the $37.95 "Classic" 11 x 11 size.

Big Orge,

I have one that I bought when running a stock seat and I really liked it in the warm weather - keeps the bum cooler. If shipping is not a killer you are welcome to borrow mine for a few rides before you decide to buy. The other option is meeting me in NH in May Whitehorse Press Open House) and simply send it back after the test.

Canadian FJR

BigDogRaven,
I also have the Sargent on a Gen II and would like more height. I see the site recommends 11x11" for the stock seat. Did you go to the 12x12" for the Sargent?
Hummmmm, I did not think of getting the 12 X 12, now that I think about it, I guess I should have gone with the 12 X 12.

I did get the 11 X 11, works fine. Get the 12 no rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the bead rider which I used on my Vulcan. It is comfortable for me and I am 5'9", 170lbs. My skinny little butt does just fine on it. Love the air flow under it except when it is cool outside. Then the boys get too cold!. I will have to see about fitting it to my fjr now.

I'm going to have to do one or the other. I've fixed the other deficiencies and the rock hard seat is all the more noticeable, even on shorter rides. Waffling between an airhawk and bead rider. OP- good luck with your quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried the beads but I can see where they could work well. I did try the Airhawk with my old Corbin and it is helpful, especially for straight-line running, but when the going gets twisty and technical, the disconnect between butt and seat is disconcerting. I am now running a Russell Day-Long and that seems to be the real answer.

I haven't tried the beads but I can see where they could work well. I did try the Airhawk with my old Corbin and it is helpful, especially for straight-line running, but when the going gets twisty and technical, the disconnect between butt and seat is disconcerting. I am now running a Russell Day-Long and that seems to be the real answer.
It is critical to have just enough air in it to provide the cushion otherwise you get the experience you mention. Spanky used one on our cross country adventure in 2012 on the Corbin and it worked great for her. As temperature change it has to be adjusted too. I changed to the heated leather RDL and may consider selling the Airhawk. Have to ask her.

I think I have one that I don't want. You are welcome to it if you pay shipping.

PM me if interested.

Don't leave home without it! It's done right by me....

StanleyJune2014_zpsab299078.jpg

It is critical to have just enough air in it to provide the cushion otherwise you get the experience you mention. Spanky used one on our cross country adventure in 2012 on the Corbin and it worked great for her. As temperature change it has to be adjusted too. I changed to the heated leather RDL and may consider selling the Airhawk. Have to ask her.
I properly inflated the Airhawk. Only with it gone will you have the optimal relationship between butt and seat. Anything else and some compromise, however marginal, results.

The other option is meeting me in NH in May Whitehorse Press Open House) and simply send it back after the test.
Every year your thread tempts me Scott but again this year my Sundays in May are tied up. (Didn't see any dates for this year's Open House on their site though.) Definitely have to get back up there this season.

I think I have one that I don't want. You are welcome to it if you pay shipping.PM me if interested.
Very generous Iris, thank you very much. PM sent.

Don't leave home without it! It's done right by me....
StanleyJune2014_zpsab299078.jpg
Wow. So if I go with beads I get views like that? (Nice pic.)

Looks like you have one coming, so good. I was going to advise against a short "test run." I put mine on at the start of a long trip, and didn't decide pro or con for sure till at least the third day. Never went back, but it did take an adjustment period.

When you get it, don't make up your mind for a few hundred miles. At least.