wtf is farkled????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcyclenut

Reaction score
i am a bigtime web board surfer, have been for a while

i have never heard farkled before. Every other thread here has farkled somewhere in it, im guessing it means shiny or fancy and such but just wanted a confirmation

From the Bin O Facts:

The term "farkle" originated in the ST1100 community in the early '90's.

The first time I heard it used there was 1994, when I initially subscribed to the STOC list. Originally, a "farkle" meant most any modification done to your motorcycle to enhance its use to the owner. It didn't originally include the mere act of installing commercially-available accessories like heated grips or Givi bags, but has since come to be generally accepted as either a mod to existing componentry, fabrication of new items, or the installation of commercially-bought accessories.

The term gradually moved to the Long Distance/Endurance Riding community around the mid-'90's, as the ST1100 was a mainstay workhorse in the Endurance Riding scene throughout the 90's (and even to today, quite frankly). Nobody farkles a motorcycle like the Endurance Riding community, because they have unique requirements for modifications to allow them to stay in the saddle for 20 out of 24 hours a day, for 11 continuous days.

Many are under the mistaken impression that the LD community created the term "farkle", but that's incorrect. Regardless, once it hit the LD scene, other bike communities that are main players there (Connies, Wingabagoes, BMW's of various flavors, etc) also started using the term.

In 2002, when the FJR finally hit our shores, many LDRiders (some former ST1100 riders, some not) immediately saw that this bike would be the Next Big Platform for use in the competitive Endurance Riding arena. Thus the term "farkle" immediately became a common term in the FJR community as well.

That's the true, actual history of the term.

- Warchild

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this about 2/3 the way down.

Edit>>>Holy Crap, Batman! You all type fast. I thought I was first.

From the Bin O Facts:
The term "farkle" originated in the ST1100 community in the early '90's.

The first time I heard it used there was 1994, when I initially subscribed to the STOC list. Originally, a "farkle" meant most any modification done to your motorcycle to enhance its use to the owner. It didn't originally include the mere act of installing commercially-available accessories like heated grips or Givi bags, but has since come to be generally accepted as either a mod to existing componentry, fabrication of new items, or the installation of commercially-bought accessories.

The term gradually moved to the Long Distance/Endurance Riding community around the mid-'90's, as the ST1100 was a mainstay workhorse in the Endurance Riding scene throughout the 90's (and even to today, quite frankly). Nobody farkles a motorcycle like the Endurance Riding community, because they have unique requirements for modifications to allow them to stay in the saddle for 20 out of 24 hours a day, for 11 continuous days.

Many are under the mistaken impression that the LD community created the term "farkle", but that's incorrect. Regardless, once it hit the LD scene, other bike communities that are main players there (Connies, Wingabagoes, BMW's of various flavors, etc) also started using the term.

In 2002, when the FJR finally hit our shores, many LDRiders (some former ST1100 riders, some not) immediately saw that this bike would be the Next Big Platform for use in the competitive Endurance Riding arena. Thus the term "farkle" immediately became a common term in the FJR community as well.

That's the true, actual history of the term.

- Warchild

warchild you be da man, that is the coolest answer to a simple question ive ever heard. Im now a f'n farkle pro. I know ill be using the term now and ill act like ive been using it my while life now that i know the history of the word, lol

Sit back and listen up my friend, and break out the checkbook or plastic.. farkle is no laughing matter. It could save your life, cut your time, keep your record clean, hold a week's worth of skivvies, spot a deer, prevent monkeybutt, prevent head bobble, stop wrist cramps, extend your mileage, protect your tupperware, warm your frozen arse, make the chicks dig you, etc, etc.

Farkle is the term for accessories, necessary and otherwise, that make your bike your own. From riding gear, to GPS, radar detect'rz, soft and hard luggage, extra lights, softer seat, higher windscreen, cruise control, aux fuel tanks, sliders, heated gear, etc, etc...

It starts when you first sit on the FJR at the dealer, and from stories handed down thru the ages it apparently never stops. Your childrens' children will be farkling your bike long after you are gone, so be sure to change the oil.

C

Sit back and listen up my friend, and break out the checkbook or plastic.. farkle is no laughing matter. It could save your life, cut your time, keep your record clean, hold a week's worth of skivvies, spot a deer, prevent monkeybutt, prevent head bobble, stop wrist cramps, extend your mileage, protect your tupperware, warm your frozen arse, make the chicks dig you, etc, etc.
Farkle is the term for accessories, necessary and otherwise, that make your bike your own. From riding gear, to GPS, radar detect'rz, soft and hard luggage, extra lights, softer seat, higher windscreen, cruise control, aux fuel tanks, sliders, heated gear, etc, etc...

It starts when you first sit on the FJR at the dealer, and from stories handed down thru the ages it apparently never stops. Your childrens' children will be farkling your bike long after you are gone, so be sure to change the oil.

C
hey now i may be a farkle virgin and just looking to break my way into the sport touring scene but i am no stranger to the modification addiction, see for yourseld, and i promise even if you have eagle eyes you cant see half of it in the pic

IMG_0887.jpg

:clapping:
:dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
thanks guys and the crazy thing is ive started parting it out to buy an fjr for street duty and a two stroke 250 for track days and maybe a few race days( dont tell the wifey)

i really want to ride a real race bike in anger not a street bike ive tried to turn into a race bike

FARKLE = Functional Sparkle. As in not just adding chrome, or billet doo-dads (Sparkle), but adding mods that do something.

FARKLE: Fancy Accessory, Really Kool, Likely Expensive

Hey, have you heard of this 'Google' thing, then? It's suppose to find stuff on the interwebs or sumpin'. :dntknw:
duh, oops

Motorcycle farkle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The word Farkle belongs to the vernacular of the North American motorcyclist, and refers to accessories or the act of accessorizing a motorcycle.

Farkles may include any accessories but especially those intended to increase the function of a motorcycle -- vs. those intended to glamorize (i.e. if an accessory is chromed, it is probably not a farkle - see Bling.)

Examples include items that do not arrive as standard equipment on the motorcycle, such as Radar detectors, GPS systems, heated grips, satellite radios, highway pegs, or top and side cases.

[edit] Etymology

The Etymology of "Farkle" is murky. It was in use at least by the late nineteen-nineties, circa 1997.

The word may be a combination (portmanteau) of "function" and "sparkle." One source attributes the term to a member of the Honda ST1100 user group [1].

Another source claims that farkle was a term originally used for the multiple tail lights that Honda Goldwing riders used in the late 80's and early 90's. They would flash or sparkle when the brakes were applied, thus farkle may be a combination of those two words[citation needed].

Farkle is also a Backronym:

F.ancy

A.ccessory

R.eally

K.ool &

L.ikely

E.xpensive

[edit] Variations

An enthusiast may "farkle" a motorcycle, may be in the process of "farkling" or may have "farkled up" a motorcycle.

[edit] External links

ST1100.org farkle photos

Adam Koczarski's ST1100 & ST1300 farkels

Definition from Concours.org

BMW R1200GS Adventure farkles

This motorcycle, scooter, or moped-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_farkle"

i have never heard farkled before. Every other thread here has farkled somewhere in it, im guessing it means shiny or fancy and such but just wanted a confirmation
I never use the word myself. I think it sounds silly....

Latest posts