WTF Watkins (what is a watkins?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
This has me puzzled and perhaps the wisdom here can shed some light.....

While minding my own business riding through the Ozarks

...I perhaps(?) came upon Iggy's birthplace -perhaps where his parents bought him??

I really should have bought one ...if for no other reason than to learn what a Watkins is.

100315.JPG

100315%20(1).JPG

Why, they're selling amps, of course.

'Cause what is kin to a watt? An amp!

Jeez.. Some people are SO slow... :dribble:

They don't have Watkins in Nevada??

You guys may refer to it as a Watnot.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good that you didn't go inside to find out. Sounds like the beginning of a C grade horror flick.... :wacko:

This has me puzzled and perhaps the wisdom here can shed some light.....
While minding my own business riding through the Ozarks

...I perhaps(?) came upon Iggy's birthplace -perhaps where his parents bought him??

I really should have bought one ...if for no other reason than to learn what a Watkins is.
It's not a thing, it's things. Watkins

Think Amway or Herbalife. Basically a network marketing company. Some would call it 'MLM' or Multi-level Marketing too.

RJ, you sooooo need to get out more.

Think Amway or Herbalife. Basically a network marketing company. Some would call it 'MLM' or Multi-level Marketing too.
That's the boring, legitimate answer.

It would be far cooler if I could say that, "Yes, I own 5% of that wonderful company!" and then commence to giving you a link to buy lots of stuff!

But, the other truth may be just as interesting..... Yes, RJ my ancestry does include Arkansas. Family lore gives it great reverence in song, dance, and premium homemade distilled spirits recipes. Historians have a more technical term called "hillbilly".

If you see anybody with names of Rayburn, Newton, Hoover, Rachel, or Sadie in their names.....around 1890 or earlier....good chance our DNA tree match up somewhere. That and in the Eminence and Rolla, Missouri area......which makes it scary I might be related to Smitty and couple other regulars here.

As for the picture.....looks like a fine double-wide!

It's good that you didn't go inside to find out. Sounds like the beginning of a C grade horror flick.... :wacko:
"Shore got a purdy FJR, don't he?"

"Squeal like a sheep, boy!!"

RJ - are you sure you weren't around Owosso, Michigan, when you saw that??

...If you see anybody with names of Rayburn, Newton, Hoover, Rachel, or Sadie in their names.....around 1890 or earlier....good chance our DNA tree match up somewhere. That and in the Eminence and Rolla, Missouri area......which makes it scary I might be related to Smitty and couple other regulars here...
I've been through Eminence...they do have lots of people with crooked teeth over dat way yonder....

...great riding area though. :yahoo:

<snippage>...Yes, RJ my ancestry does include Arkansas. Family lore gives it great reverence in song, dance, and premium homemade distilled spirits recipes. Historians have a more technical term called "hillbilly".If you see anybody with names of Rayburn, Newton, Hoover, Rachel, or Sadie in their names.....around 1890 or earlier....good chance our DNA tree match up somewhere. That and in the Eminence and Rolla, Missouri area......which makes it scary I might be related to Smitty and couple other regulars here.
I once travelled to the Ozarks with a 'Newton' and met lots of 'Newtons' (some lived downstream from the nuclear power-plant on the Ark. R).

Jasper AR is the county seat of Newton Co.

On a different trip, a female first-time Ozark visitor was along and asked a local at a roadside stop: "Where are the Hillbillies?" :)

Anyway, when you find used-tires for sale -- you know you're in good country...! :eek:

As for the picture.....looks like a fine double-wide!
My 'Newton' friend once really coveted his neighbor's "triple-wide". :huh:

Hey, haven't heard of "Watkins" in years.

Use to have a salesman "Mr. Tad", drove a truck camper through Grimes County, everyone affectionately referred to him as the "Watkins Man", sold a host of products from

healing liniment, cooking spices like vanilla extract, and a bunch of other concoctions that were created and distributed. Yea, in a way....certainly consistent with Amway...made and sold products for everything.

Wow!, memories...they didn't have candy so; being a kid then, I wasn't interested.

That's the boring, legitimate answer.

It would be far cooler if I could say that, "Yes, I own 5% of that wonderful company!" and then commence to giving you a link to buy lots of stuff!

But, the other truth may be just as interesting..... .... Yes, RJ my ancestry does include Arkansas. Family lore gives it great reverence in song, dance, and premium homemade distilled spirits recipes. Historians have a more technical term called "hillbilly".
So Eric, the question is answered, thank
Iggy, I have no doubt from the phunny looking peoples I saw in them hills that you have deep roots to the area. Saw many of your first cousins no doubt. I had thought about broadening their gene pool, truly as a noble contribution to society, but opted out.

Jerry that is some funny shit!

Hey, haven't heard of "Watkins" in years. Use to have a salesman "Mr. Tad", drove a truck camper through Grimes County, everyone affectionately referred to him as the "Watkins Man", sold a host of products from

healing liniment, cooking spices like vanilla extract, and a bunch of other concoctions that were created and distributed. Yea, in a way....certainly consistent with Amway...made and sold products for everything.

Wow!, memories...they didn't have candy so; being a kid then, I wasn't interested.
LOL, wonder how business is going for these folks. Usually when you have that "friend" that gets into some multi-level marketing scheme you damn near have to change your phone number ...or wait it out about 9mos before they realize they got into a bad deal and feel bad for trying to sell you their swag of good. They always seem to start with their friends.
+

Gotta say, had one of the funnerest night's ever in Fort Smith, those Arkie college kids can party ...and another great night in Elk City with some natives that have never been more than 30miles from town. Currently in Gallup about to head somewhere.

Latest posts