XM Radio antenna for Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Lake Powell!Thanks for all the pic's and time you spent describing the routing of the antenna wire. Since I am always reading these post's from my office, I can't go look at my bike to see what you are talking about until I get home. Just a couple more questions... How do you access the area where the antenna is located? And, since you ran the wire under the inside of the fairing, I'm assuming you didn't have to drill a hole anywhere??

Thanks again.

Remove the black piece that is held in with allen bolts, it fits down to the edge of the faring and continues around to the tach gauge.

Not necessary to drill any holes.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the idea of putting it in the glove box. Is the box easy enough to remove so you can drill the hole for the wire? I'm not at the same location as the bike or I would go look.
And by the way...you guy's are great! It's quality feedback like this that makes this forum so valuable.

Thanks to all of you. :yahoo:
I did not have to remove the glove box to make a hole in the bottom corner for the XM radio wiring. I did remove some plastic from around the area to give me a little more working space to put together a weatherproof wiring bundle and then run it up by the triple tree to the stem mount.

Have fun!

Hey Lake Powell!Thanks for all the pic's and time you spent describing the routing of the antenna wire. Since I am always reading these post's from my office, I can't go look at my bike to see what you are talking about until I get home. Just a couple more questions... How do you access the area where the antenna is located? And, since you ran the wire under the inside of the fairing, I'm assuming you didn't have to drill a hole anywhere??

Thanks again.

Remove the black piece that is held in with allen bolts, it fits down to the edge of the faring and continues around to the tach gauge.

Best wishes.

Nice install Lake Powell. Are you using the Heli Triple clamp? If so where did you get that bracket to mount the Zumo to the triple clamp? Also do you get much glare on the display with it mounted like that?

Thanks!!

Thanks again.

Best wishes.

Nice install Lake Powell. Are you using the Heli Triple clamp? If so where did you get that bracket to mount the Zumo to the triple clamp? Also do you get much glare on the display with it mounted like that?

Thanks!!

Thankyou Chris, yes it is a Heli triple clamp. I made the Zumo mount and it has worked very well for me. I used the 2 tapped bolt holes on the front of the Heli triple clamp and drilled and tapped 2 more on the back side for the mount that I made. No real glare problems to speak of.

Thanks again.

Best wishes.

Thanks!!

Thankyou Chris, yes it is a Heli triple clamp. I made the Zumo mount and it has worked very well for me. I used the 2 tapped bolt holes on the front of the Heli triple clamp and drilled and tapped 2 more on the back side for the mount that I made. No real glare problems to speak of.

Boy you should start selling this as a kit, I'll be your first customer!!! :clapping:

I see that you built the "L" shape bracket that mounts to the Heli. Did you machine this bracket or did you find a place that sells this with a bend in it already? Also did you have to fabricate a part that connects from "L" bracket to the Zumo mount. I can't tell if this is part of the stock Zumo mount or an additional fabricated bracket. Sorry for all the questions, my next purchase is a Zumo and I really like the way you have it set up. If you don't mind I like to try copy your idea, unless you decide to build a kit, hint :rolleyes: Also is there any interference with the tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a topcase, this may work for you. I have mine mounted with velcro upside down inside the top of my Givi V46. It's been there the better part of a year and hasn't fallen down.

Chris D,

"I see that you built the "L" shape bracket that mounts to the Heli. Did you machine this bracket or did you find a place that sells this with a bend in it already?"

The material I used is just extruded aluminum that you can get at just about any hardware store or a Home Depot. The extruded aluminum comes in many shapes and the stuff I used was just 1/8" thick by 3"X2" "L" shaped stock, but it comes in many sizes and shapes. It's pretty cheap at about $7.00 for a 36" piece. The aluminum is pretty easy to cut with a metal bladed jig saw and you can clean it up with a belt sander or even a file.

"Also did you have to fabricate a part that connects from "L" bracket to the Zumo mount. I can't tell if this is part of the stock Zumo mount or an additional fabricated bracket."

That material is some 1/2" thick plastic sheet I have left over from some seat panels that I made for a boat that I refurbished a few years ago. You can find it at a industrial plastic distributer or you could use wood or something else similar.

"If you don't mind I like to try copy your idea, unless you decide to build a kit"

Have at it, if you want I can try to send you some more pics!

"Also is there any interference with the tank? " Nope, works good.

If you take the left hand dash panels off to put it under or behind the glove box, look forward under the tach. This is where I put mine. There is a flat shelf with plenty of clearance behind the headlight and under the windshield mechanicals. It works very well for me, I do lose signal occasionally when going north but it is only passing under multiple overpasses...same places I lose signal in the truck with the antenna on the roof.

Latest posts