XM radio is cutting out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifrik

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced their XM cutting out and losing all bars? I have my antenna mounted on top of the front brake reservoir, pretty open area. The signal goes from three bars to no bars with loss of audio every so often for about 30 seconds, and then comes back. Is it the antenna or is it XM?

Has anyone experienced their XM cutting out and losing all bars? I have my antenna mounted on top of the front brake reservoir, pretty open area. The signal goes from three bars to no bars with loss of audio every so often for about 30 seconds, and then comes back. Is it the antenna or is it XM?
What kind of receiver are you using? I had issues with my Zumo, but a new cradle fixed them.

I rode for 3 hours yesterday, and commuted this morning with no XM issues at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find the thread, but it is noted that XM Roady's have intermittent poser problems. Its not in the interface, but a loose connection inside the bracket that has to be soldered.

I do lose the signal on my radio (Garmin Streetpilot 2730) in some mountain passes or amidst tall buildings, but nothing like the issues I had with the XM Roady2 bracket failure.

If you are using the little square antenna then forget it. I could not get mine to work good at all. It worked great on the top of the truck but no good on the bike. It needs a metal ground plane under it to work. Later, I ended up with the round Smart Antenna for the Zumo GPS and that works perfect.

My Roady 2 had that problem. I believe the issue is a crappy internal joint between the antenna connector and the circuit board. I would jiggle the plug and it would magically fix itself for a while... sometimes rotating the connector helped... eventually I bought a different receiver since I didn't want to pull the bastard apart and fix the joint. So far, my SkiFy 2 doesn't seem to have the same problem...

It needs a metal ground plane under it to work.
I tried using the top of the master too, no good... I then purchased the metal ground

and have not had a problem in 3 years, every now and then the signal will cut off

but a swift back hand usally works... :blink:

Yes, sorry! I'm using a Zumo
Call Garmin, give them your SN and explain the problem. A number of cradles were found to be bad (mostly static issues) and they replace them under warranty with no muss, no fuss. This could be a compounded issue, but that is where I would start.

You don't say if your XM is the Garmin add on or a regular XM radio. I'm on my 2nd XM Roady2, had problems with the 1st one cutting out on the bike, replaced the unit and the antenna and have had no further problems.

Usually when the 1st one would cut out, the radio displayed an error message that the antenna wasn't connected. I'd wiggle the connector at the radio and it would be ok for a little while.

The consensus here is that the radios aren't exactly industrial strength quality.

Sometimes the XM website has specials for current customers where you can get a whole new radio and all the accessories for "real cheap". Seems like I could have picked up one a while back for $6.00.

My Roady 2 had that problem. I believe the issue is a crappy internal joint between the antenna connector and the circuit board. I would jiggle the plug and it would magically fix itself for a while... sometimes rotating the connector helped
I had a tech at Delphi a couple of years ago tell me to loop a rubber band around the antenna connector and then stretch the rubber band over the radio so that that antenna connector allways had pressure pushing it into the radio. This has worked for 2 years for me. Have to replace the rubber band occasionally, so I keep some handy in the tank bag.

I had a tech at Delphi a couple of years ago tell me to loop a rubber band around the antenna connector and then stretch the rubber band over the radio so that that antenna connector allways had pressure pushing it into the radio.
I'm not in the least bit surprised... but I just can't get over the mental image of fixing my bike electronics with rubber bands... :blink:

if you have the Roady XT, the plastic piece where the mount and the radio meet is a terrible design. My buddy has an ST1300 and has his antenna is mounted about where you did. It's probably the radio/mount going bad. Call 1-800-XMradio, and ask them about specials. Alot of times you can get the unit for free, but you have to prepay 6 months of service, but hey, you have to have the service anyway right? I'm on my 4th receiver now and never paid for one yet. Probably not the antennae. No doors for it to get slammed into.

Has anyone tried the shorter wire I see advertised? There's about 2 miles of wire I have coiled behind my XM.