XM radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
Advice wanted from some of you techies out there. I sent an e-mail to Chatterbox but the reply was not very helpful.

DH and I have Chatterbox radios. I use an MP3 player very successfully with mine. The unit sits in my jacket pocket and the wire goes over my shoulder.

The satellite radio bug has bitten, so we bought two, XM radio kits. The home kit is awesome. I even drove my CAR today, just to play with the radio. Now, of course, I want the tunes on my bike. The wires all connect up, but there is no volume. I'm guessing the radio unit doesn't have an amplifier? The Chatterbox volume control doesn't help.

Any (constructive) suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Jill

Your xm radio (I have the roady2) has a speaker output, which is plugged directly to my chatterbox x2 into the aux input. The xm also has a volume control, so I had to adjust a little louder, but make sure you have the correct pin type for stereo and that it is pushed all the way in.

As a note, you cannot play both the mp3 player and xm radio using one in the aux and one plugged into where the cellular phone goes into. You would need to use a A/B type switch to use the same aux input to use either or devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run my XM radio through my Chatterbox HC-50 and it works well. I am not tryiong to run another unit such as an MP-3 player at the same time. The volume control on my chatterbox works just fine. I mounted my Chatterbox on my tank bag so volume control is at my fingertips. :)

Your xm radio (I have the roady2) has a speaker output, which is plugged directly to my chatterbox x2 into the aux input. The xm also has a volume control, so I had to adjust a little louder, but make sure you have the correct pin type for stereo and that it is pushed all the way in.
As a note, you cannot play both the mp3 player and xm radio using one in the aux and one plugged into where the cellular phone goes into. You would need to use a A/B type switch to use the same aux input to use either or devices.
Thanks. DH tells me tonight that too MUCH volume is the problem. The Roady has six volume settings and all are far too loud when the Chatterbox is set up for bike-to-bike communication.

He has ordered a volume control that fits into the line so we can see if that works.

Once I have the radio, I won't need the MP3 player for riding. Perhaps I could start using it for the gym....... if I got into the habit of actually GOING to the gym now and again. <G>

Jill

So, once again I've seen you say DH... exactly what is a DH Ms. Chick?

PS... sorry for a thread hijack!

I recently bought the GMRS Chatterbox and about a week later I got the Delphi XM MyFi Personal Satellite Receiver and it kicks ass. The thing can be run on battery for about 5 hours or off a 12v, it records up to 5 hours of XM just in case you're someplace you can't get signal and it has a built in antenna as well as coming with 3 different externals and a few different mounts. All for a $145 from Walmart.com.... here’s a link for the XM I bought: https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3432108

Anyway, the chatterbox allows me to run my cell phone, XM Radio, intercom and bike to bike fairly easy.

I got my xm radio at circuit city for $19.00, but with external ant which I just stuck in the clear portion of my tank bag, now thats a deal!

MixIt

Great solution to your audio mixing and volume needs. Been using the original version for about 3 years and many tens of thousands of miles without a hitch.

(Sirius ovah heeauh!)

I got my xm radio at circuit city for $19.00, but with external ant which I just stuck in the clear portion of my tank bag, now thats a deal!
My unit is considerably more advanced though but it really depends on what you want. The thing has a built in FM transmitter so I can listen to the thing on any radio in my house, at work and in all my vehicles in a snap. It comes with a belt clip and earphones, it comes with everything for home and auto as well, and I use it as a Walkman when I'm out walking. Like I said above the rechargeable lithium ion batteries last about 5 hours each, it came with two or I just run it off the 12v Powerlet on my bike. Being able to record up to 5 hours has come in handy a few times now.

Anyway, you can get the unit itself for $49 after the $50 rebate by mail or it’s like $100 with all the kits (car, home, headphones, belt clip). Heh, I just ordered another for my eldest daughter. https://www.myradiostore.us/features/promos...ilite-05080473/

If I could my XM radio out of my H2 and mount it on my bike, that would be great. The unit I got, also transmits via FM so I can transport it into any other vehicle with of course, the added ext ant. I just love that XM Comedy channel!

If I could my XM radio out of my H2 and mount it on my bike, that would be great. The unit I got, also transmits via FM so I can transport it into any other vehicle with of course, the added ext ant. I just love that XM Comedy channel!
Yeah, those comedy channels easily make the subscription fee worth it. They put really good comedians on there. I also like being able to listen to cnn/fox and the others. My wife and me travel by car all the time and it's so nice not loosing signal. I'm hooked on xm for sure.

So, once again I've seen you say DH... exactly what is a DH Ms. Chick?
DH describes the husband, with an appropriate adjective i.e. Dearest Husband, Darling Husband, Dedicated Husband. There are other D words one could use, depending on the situation. <VBG>

Jill