Yamaha "Confort Seats" & Shad 48 Topcase reviews

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuilderBob

Reaction score
Just completed my journey to Asheville, NC from Central Florida. About 600 miles, give or take.

First, the Comfort Seats.

Although I was ready for a break after 150 miles or so, I'd say that these seats are a pretty good improvement over the stockers. Generally pretty comfy and it's possible to wiggle around and find another good spot when it starts getting uncomfortable. When I did stop to take a break, I found that with a little rest I was able to go another 150 miles no problem. Recovery time is better with these seats. 12 hours on the road with a few breaks and I'm ready to go again. I'd say it was a good purchase.

Shad 48 Topcase.

This thing swallows up a lot of gear. Looks pretty good too. I can also attest to the durability of the box because it fell off my bike at over 70 mph coming into Asheville! :angry:

Turn around to go back and get the thing, hoping nobody gets there before me. When I finally catch up with the wayward box, I find it on the side of I-240 patiently waiting for me. To my surprise, no cracks, hinges were still intact and the latches held. I was relieved, but very concerned about the retention mechanism. I put it back on the mounting plate and locked it down. Very solid. All I can figure is that when I went into the box during one of my stops, I must have inadvertantly unlatched it from the mounting plate. Hope that's it, otherwise I'll be worrying about it the rest of the trip!

Anyhoo, I give the Comfort Seats two thumbs up. The Shad 48 Topcase is still being evaluated.

Good report on the seats. So they're definately worth the denaro? Sorry to hear about the case. I've had mine for quite some time and never had a latch failure. Bet you inadvertantly unlatched it. I tend to double check the cases at all the rest stops. I even find myself looking in the mirrors and reaching back to see if the side cases are still riding w/ me for some worrysome reason. Be safe on your return trip and keep us posted (PM).

Just made it back. Yes, I think the seats are worth the money. I can't compare them to anything but the stockers. Other alternatives may be better, but these worked pretty well for me and the price is right.

The topcase stayed on the rest of the trip. I'm sure that I must have neglected to fully seat it after I got into it during the trip up.

All is not well, however. Seems I had a little mishap in a grocery store parking lot when I got back to DeLand. These bikes are VERY top heavy when loaded for a X-country tour! I'll be looking for a left side mirror and repairs for my left side bag. Not in a hurry though. I won't be riding for a while due to a badly sprained ankle also acquired as a part of my tip-over. Doh!

Bob,

Sorry to hear about the tipover! Was your topcase loaded? Probably contributes to the topheavy condition.

Consider it your new bike christening. It's personalized now. Sprained ankle is the real bummer! Ouch!

My bike did a slo-mo tip-over off of the sidestand while warming up recently. I was standing next to it, zipping my jacket. My helmet was sitting on the rear seat and I launched it across the driveway reacting to the bike moving without me. Frame slider saved the day, but I now have person identification marks on my bike too. Nothing serious enough to warrant any hardware replacement though.

Hope you and you bike heal quickly. Thanks for the seat review.

Bob,
Sorry to hear about the tipover! Was your topcase loaded? Probably contributes to the topheavy condition.

Consider it your new bike christening. It's personalized now. Sprained ankle is the real bummer! Ouch!

My bike did a slo-mo tip-over off of the sidestand while warming up recently. I was standing next to it, zipping my jacket. My helmet was sitting on the rear seat and I launched it across the driveway reacting to the bike moving without me. Frame slider saved the day, but I now have person identification marks on my bike too. Nothing serious enough to warrant any hardware replacement though.

Hope you and you bike heal quickly. Thanks for the seat review.
Oh yeah. Fully loaded. Had stuff bungeed to the rear seat too. I'm just glad that this happened at the end of my trip. I don't know what I would have done if it had been otherwise.

I live less than a mile from where the tip-over occurred and I couldn't ride it home. Couldn't stand on my left leg and couldn't shift. A Good Samaritan helped me, let me drive his car to my house while he rode the FJR. He even pushed it into the garage for me. There are good people left in this world.

Sorry to hear of your little mishap Bob,hope your ankle heals quick.

Yes our bikes are a little top heavy,even when they're not fully loaded.

Did you ride the BRP and some of the surrouding roads?

The cool air up there is a pleasent change from central fla I'm sure.

I was up that way last weekend and rode in 50 degree temps,It was wonderful.

Hope you get your bike back in shape.

Sorry to hear of your little mishap Bob,hope your ankle heals quick.Yes our bikes are a little top heavy,even when they're not fully loaded.

Did you ride the BRP and some of the surrouding roads?

The cool air up there is a pleasent change from central fla I'm sure.

I was up that way last weekend and rode in 50 degree temps,It was wonderful.

Hope you get your bike back in shape.
Yes, did the BRP and The Dragon. The weather was very nice. I'm pretty envious of the folks who live in the Asheville area. On a warm day, all they have to do to cool off is to ride twenty minutes into the mountains. 20 degree difference when I was there.

Thanks for the good thoughts. The bike and I will be just fine.

The bike and I will be just fine.
Glad to see you made it back almost safe and sound. Man, we just missed each other. Flew out of FL this AM. Great seat report and am now confused as to what to get. I should be back to FL for another visit in Sept. - hopefully, but will need a new seat for the trip.

Sorry to hear of the tip over.

In regard to the Shad 48. It would seem that 'operator error' was the cause of the 'low flying case' then? How well did the case perform otherwise? Waterproof etc?

I am really giving this case serious consideration vs a Givi. Any other comments from others?

[i should be back to FL for another visit in Sept. - hopefully, but will need a new seat for the trip.
Sorry I missed you this time. See you in Sept.

In regard to the Shad 48. It would seem that 'operator error' was the cause of the 'low flying case' then? How well did the case perform otherwise? Waterproof etc?
"Operator error". Yeah, that's the ticket. ;)

I did come through one heavy downpour in SC on my way back. Probably rode through it for 10 minutes or so. Not a drop inside.

I'll add that the case is very easy to put on and take off the bike. When it's off, you can carry it around like a suitcase with the built-in handle.

+1 on the shad case! Sorry to hear of your mishap!

I've always used a tailbag for customer appts. Laptop, files, power cords. With the shad case I cut out a piece of foam for the laptop and have plenty of room to spare instead of cramming everything into the tailbag. I compaired it to the Givi case and wouldn't be able to justify the moneys vs the shad. My 03 use's a different mount then the universal mount. I am going to put reflective tape around the case too.

Tailbag setup;

DSCN2038.jpg

Shad topcase;

Img0008.jpg

Img0007.jpg

I just added a SHAD 48. Great looking case, but few complaints.

first fitment of parts are not that great. Modified several parts to fit properly.

2nd Looks off lined no matter what I do. It doesn't look straight.

3rd rear reflectors are not secured. It came a part during 50 miles ride.

Plus side.

Direct fitment using 06 adoptor.

Easy latching system, but I am watching carefully.

Good design and big space.

Ride review.

Noticed slight turbulance from the back.

Wife loves the backrest. Sitting position perfect.

Had to change shock to Hard position for solo riding.

Way better than stock setup.

Unable to modify OEM key/locking mech to fit SHAD 48.

Anyhoo, I give the Comfort Seats two thumbs up.

Just so I have it right; $375 for both rider and passenger seats? Was your reach to the ground affected at all? I'm 5'8" and am uncomfortable tip-toeing around the parking lot and out of the driveway, especially with the little lady on the back.

Anyhoo, I give the Comfort Seats two thumbs up.

Just so I have it right; $375 for both rider and passenger seats? Was your reach to the ground affected at all? I'm 5'8" and am uncomfortable tip-toeing around the parking lot and out of the driveway, especially with the little lady on the back.
I got mine for just under $300.00 from motorsportsuperstore.com

I'm about your size and noticed little difference in height between this seat and the stocker. Maybe just a hair higher. I couldn't flat-foot before and I can't now. I never ride with a passenger, however, so I can see where that aspect may be a concern for you.

I just added the gel seat too. It *seems* to feel harder than the stock when you first sit but it is more comfortable...my ass hasn't been hurting once although the longest I have ridden with it is 2 hours but that is usually enough to tell. The rider sitting area is smaller than the stocker and the passenger seat seems a little higher.

Sorry to hear of the tip over.

I am really giving this case serious consideration vs a Givi. Any other comments from others?
I have the Shade 46 and I am very happy with it.

No leaks, very durable, and a lot less $'s than the Givi.