Yamaha factory top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
OK, so I order the factory top box knowing there was a trade off.

I'm not a big fan of the jellybean shaped Givi (et al) boxes, so I went with the factory top box.

The finish is great, the engineering solid. I think you could use the thing as a camp chair if so desired. Obviously the weather sealing is well thought out, too.

I'm going to try to install it tonight, and I'm guessing the design will suite the bike well and match the lines well, too.

My main disappointment comes form the fact I had deluded myself into being hopeful...

See, if Givi's 52 litre box can hold 2 full sized helmets, maybe the Yamaha 52 litre box might? Especially if one of those helmets were smaller than the other... *fingers crossed, the cash went on the counter*

Ah... NO.

The internal design of the box is such that some space is, in a word, wasted. I'm sure this contributes to the rock solid feel of the thing, BUT, be warned. If anyone is thinking of purchasing one, there is a tradeoff to be faced.

It'll easily hold my helmet and a courier bag with laptop, camera, maybe 6 pairs of extra gloves (no idea why anyone would have so many, but painting the picture here...), a kitten and 3 pickles. In short, there is a bunch of useful room... just don't count on being able to drop two full faced helmets in there. ;)

I'm sure I'll be fine with it once I figure out a system of "livability". In the meantime I shall content myself with the knowledge that form does matter in my choice (so I scored on that one) and that it'll be keyed to the bike. :) I also have a preference for factory parts, under the dellusional impression that they were somewhat "engineered" to fit the bike properly... :D

I'd take and post up pics, but really, I don't think we need MORE pics of this bike with a top case here...

...unless no one here has seen an FJR with a topcase... ;)

The real question in my mind now isn't "to keep or return", but "how long until I forget it's there and try to drop kick it...?"

Sorry to hear.

I have one and am less than thrilled with it. On the other hand it has seen quite a few of the contiguous United States, so you will be able to 'make do'.

OK, so I order the factory top box knowing there was a trade off.
I'm not a big fan of the jellybean shaped Givi (et al) boxes, so I went with the factory top box.

The finish is great, the engineering solid. I think you could use the thing as a camp chair if so desired. Obviously the weather sealing is well thought out, too.

I'm going to try to install it tonight, and I'm guessing the design will suite the bike well and match the lines well, too.

My main disappointment comes form the fact I had deluded myself into being hopeful...

See, if Givi's 52 litre box can hold 2 full sized helmets, maybe the Yamaha 52 litre box might? Especially if one of those helmets were smaller than the other... *fingers crossed, the cash went on the counter*

Ah... NO.

The internal design of the box is such that some space is, in a word, wasted. I'm sure this contributes to the rock solid feel of the thing, BUT, be warned. If anyone is thinking of purchasing one, there is a tradeoff to be faced.

It'll easily hold my helmet and a courier bag with laptop, camera, maybe 6 pairs of extra gloves (no idea why anyone would have so many, but painting the picture here...), a kitten and 3 pickles. In short, there is a bunch of useful room... just don't count on being able to drop two full faced helmets in there. ;)

I'm sure I'll be fine with it once I figure out a system of "livability". In the meantime I shall content myself with the knowledge that form does matter in my choice (so I scored on that one) and that it'll be keyed to the bike. :) I also have a preference for factory parts, under the dellusional impression that they were somewhat "engineered" to fit the bike properly... :D

I'd take and post up pics, but really, I don't think we need MORE pics of this bike with a top case here...

...unless no one here has seen an FJR with a topcase... ;)

The real question in my mind now isn't "to keep or return", but "how long until I forget it's there and try to drop kick it...?"
This is why you search the forum and find out these tidbits before you buy things. My jelly bean holds two full face helmets very nicely.

Remember google is your friend "top box ste:fjrforum.com" "topbox ste:fjrforum.com" "trunk ste:fjrforum.com" and finally "top trunk ste:fjrforum.com"

I just bought a 3 case set up from Kappa for my lil FZ6. The topcase is 48 litres, doesn't look like a UFO and can hold 2 FF helmets.

It is light, nothing fancy, but it locks securely, is waterproof, and oddly enough, visually smaller than the V46 on the ass of my FJR.

Just a thought...

I kinda like the jelly bean shape.

Maybe I should see if I can get some Jelly Belly decals from the factory the next time I deliver there?!?!?! ;)

[SIZE=8pt]Or chocolate decals from M&Ms? Just for you, Barb.[/SIZE]

As jonny80 said, the fact that the factory box only holds one helmet is common knowledge on the forum and could have been researched before you got the thing.

I should also point out the need to install the lock screws with a dab of loctite if you also missed that tidbit.

I have the factory top box and like it. It looks better to me than the Givi, and I can always stick my wifes helmet in one of the sidecases when we are traveling without everything loaded up.

Or you could always make your passenger get their own bike.

KM

Don't know if this will help, but lately I've started locking my helmet to the bike when I take break, and leave the case(s) for storing my other gear. Not as convenient, but it does free up space.

I kinda like the jelly bean shape.
Maybe I should see if I can get some Jelly Belly decals from the factory the next time I deliver there?!?!?! ;)

[SIZE=8pt]Or chocolate decals from M&Ms? Just for you, Barb.[/SIZE]
just sticky chocolate would do... ;)

how awful,just sell the fjr and get a honda gold wing with a trailer.problem solved.
Sorry to continue the drift from topic, but...

I just traded in my FZ1 for the 09FJR... and farkle frenzy began immediately.

I always talk to one bud in particular to help me decide on things. So today's discussion was "Garauld vs. Premier cycle's Backrest and Rack".

His txt to me was... buy the Goldwing already.. and I answered with "why? I can get a trailer for the FJR."

Back on topic:

Even if you lay the helmets on their side, open end to open end, they still won't fit???

I had GIVI's V46 on my FZ1 and FZ6 prior.. and that worked with that "Jelly bean" no room for anything else unless I put it in the helmets..

I just bought a master 4' combo lock from Target for 4.99... it is now my helmet lock..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a 3 case set up from Kappa for my lil FZ6. The topcase is 48 litres, doesn't look like a UFO and can hold 2 FF helmets. It is light, nothing fancy, but it locks securely, is waterproof, and oddly enough, visually smaller than the V46 on the ass of my FJR.

Just a thought...
If you could post some pics of the FZ set up I would be greatful.

Lambo

My biggest gripe w/ the factory top case (which came on my '07) and the side cases is that you have to have the darn key inserted in it to open/close/latch the things.

I suppose that I had gotten spoiled by the factory cases on my '01 Triumph Tiger which have normal (but lockable if you wish) latches.

I just bought a 3 case set up from Kappa for my lil FZ6. The topcase is 48 litres, doesn't look like a UFO and can hold 2 FF helmets. It is light, nothing fancy, but it locks securely, is waterproof, and oddly enough, visually smaller than the V46 on the ass of my FJR.

Just a thought...
If you could post some pics of the FZ set up I would be greatful.

Lambo
You bet, later this aft!

This is why you search the forum and find out these tidbits before you buy things. My jelly bean holds two full face helmets very nicely.
Remember google is your friend "top box ste:fjrforum.com" "topbox ste:fjrforum.com" "trunk ste:fjrforum.com" and finally "top trunk ste:fjrforum.com"
OK, I'm calling you out on this johnny... :)

...it's site, not ste... ;)

For the record, and I *thought* I stated this in my original post, I DID know the limits (because I had searched here). I simply remained hopeful that the experiences of others might not match mine. With design changes, differences in helmet sizes, etc., what didn't work for one person might work for another.

For the record, and I *thought* I stated this in my original post, I DID know the limits (because I had searched here). I simply remained hopeful that the experiences of others might not match mine. With design changes, differences in helmet sizes, etc., what didn't work for one person might work for another.
OK, I'll give ya 30 bucks, but that's my final offer...

:)

Sorry about the misspelling that does not help.

As for the second part, I don't think anyone got that. :dntknw: Not sure why you would think it might be different for you than the other people that bought it but I guess you can always hope. :lol2:

OK, I'll give ya 30 bucks, but that's my final offer...

:)
When you take this generous offer, then you could then pick up this spacious Kappa 48 :thumbsup:

IMG_0374.jpg