Yamaha factory top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the second part, I don't think anyone got that. :dntknw: Not sure why you would think it might be different for you than the other people that bought it but I guess you can always hope. :lol2:
...because, what is not readily apperant form reading other people's posts are things such as:

1 - did they try different sized helmets

2 - did they try multiple angles, or just drop it in

3 - a bit stunning to think two boxes of roughly equal voume (say 52 litres) sees one fitting 2 helmets and one not

4 - I really, really, really, really wanted everyone else to be wrong as I wanted the factory box to work for ME!!! ;)

In the end, no worries...

Mt factory box has grown on me since yesterday, as it's been sitting on the shelf at home. :(

Yep, bought new tools to install it. Got the tool shome, then realized the locking mechanism needs a Torx 10 (safety). The new toolkit did not have such a beast. So, rather than risk someone wlaking off with the new top box today, it stayed home. I did go to Sears today, htough, to buy the needed tools. Overall, me and htis top box seem to be getting along - it politely tells me it needs specific tools to work, I dutifully go buy new ones - what's not to love?

Hoping tonight I can find some Locktite and I'll reinstall the mounting rack bolts, too. Blue is my buddy. :)

In the end, I suspect this top box will meet my needs in everyday use. It's just a matter of me learning the proepr technique is all. ;)

... and it's a damn sight better looking than all those jelly beans I see floating around! :D

$30 eh? Well, we're about 5% of the way there! :)

...and I simply must... I am darn near obligated...

Those straps? Guess there's no admittance to that box...

$30 eh? Well, we're about 5% of the way there! :)
...and I simply must... I am darn near obligated...

Those straps? Guess there's no admittance to that box...

Good guess, nobody gets into my box

Top box is big enough for one helmet + other assorted 'junk' we carry, and there are two boxes hanging off the side of most Fj's that I have seen for extra storage if you need it. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, the factory owners manual for the top box states it was not designed to be used with side bags. No idea why they say this, just found it odd.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. You can easily fit 2 helmets in the Yamaha factory top box, with room to spare!!!

Just get ya a couple of these byooties:

DHMultiSkull.jpg
DHRebelFlag.jpg

Yep, bought new tools to install it. Got the tool shome, then realized the locking mechanism needs a Torx 10 (safety). Hoping tonight I can find some Locktite and I'll reinstall the mounting rack bolts, too. Blue is my buddy. :)
yep loctite those Torx screws

I have the Yammy trunk on mine and no real complaints. In fact, I really wanted only one key to fit every lock on the bike.

Now, I thought all modern side cases and trunks (trunk-is that a Goldwing term as opposed to top box; in college a top box was...oh never mind) had to open using a key. Good that some do not, but in my case, I'd have something valuable in there and forget to lock it. So probably better for me that to latch it closed, the key is required.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I have a 2004 Cerullian Silver Yamaha topbox with all of the recall fixes, mounts etc. Make me an offer!

I would like to buy a used silver top case! Or possibly any color...
I guess I am lucky in that I never owned a Givi prior to getting the Yamaha topbox with my 06 FJR - dont know what im missing. When traveling two up for extended trips, I use a Kryptonite coil lock for the full face helmets. For shorter trips, I use the side cases. I love the topbox! I found a gymbag at KMart for $10 that fits perfect! If I stuff the bag to capacity, it slides right in and uses every inch of the box. I have just enough room to lay my Atlas on top and she shuts just perfect. When I totaled the 06, I had the box repainted to match my 07!

My '07 came with the Yammy box, so not much choice. I find it too tall, don't care if a helmet fits in there, but everything I put in it looks like it got jumbled around like in a washing machine. I want to install some X-straps like the Kappa 48 or Givi.

For those looking for a Yammy Givi, they make a Givi 46 style, all black, for their scooter line. Has a Yammy logo and everything, I would highly recommend it. $135 US, I think, part number is 46L-W0754-00. You'll need a mount.

Oddly enough, the factory owners manual for the top box states it was not designed to be used with side bags. No idea why they say this, just found it odd.
The Yamaha website says that it is because it is easier to overload the bike if you have the sidebags and top box on.

I can always stick my wifes helmet in one of the sidecases when we are traveling without everything loaded up.

KM

That's a great point. You have 2 side cases in addition to the Yamaha top case, you now have locations for 3 helmets. What difference does it make it you can't put 2 of them in 1 location? NONE!

I can always stick my wifes helmet in one of the sidecases when we are traveling without everything loaded up.

KM

That's a great point. You have 2 side cases in addition to the Yamaha top case, you now have locations for 3 helmets. What difference does it make it you can't put 2 of them in 1 location? NONE!
Welllll, maybe it does.

Since the side cases have liners and most people traveling 2-up pack those to keep the weight low, the top case would then be used for lighter weight articles (for instance: rain liners, long sleeve t-shirts for layers, extra gloves or other articles for quick and easy access).

Since most 2-up riders use the top case as a back rest for the pillion, it's an easy solution to store their helmets there. And, in the case of a "day ride" when not necessarily using the side cases, it's handy to use the top case/back rest as a helmet holder.

All that means is that I can see their point. A cable lock or a helmet guardian is the easiest solution for helmet security if they won't fit in the top case.

YMMV

Don't know if this will help, but lately I've started locking my helmet to the bike when I take break, and leave the case(s) for storing my other gear. Not as convenient, but it does free up space.
Don't know what all the fuss is about. My bike came with 2 perfectly good helmet hangers. One on either side of the bike. :D

And if there were room in my topcase for helmets, my Shad 50 has plenty of room for 2, then obviously I don't need it along for gear and it stays home.