Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pissed when I found out my Toyota Tacoma had a 105-mph speed limit programmed in. This is Montana, ferchrissakes! Just say "no" to 115 mph motorcycle speed limiters. By the way, the 55K '05 FJR pulled hard to 130 on Sunday, had plenty more to go when I backed out.
Uh? Wha?!

I bought a 2011 Tacoma about 3 weeks ago. 105mph limit you say? Oh well, legally I can't go over 63mph anywhere in Ontario.

Mind you if I bought a bike that was capped like that, it'd be for sale.

This bike has intrigued me for a while. I had a chance to ride one last saturday: All the comments about a snatchy throttle is hogwash. I tried all 3 modes and they were smooth, yes 'A' mode is more responsive than standard mode and 'B' mode is very sedate. But its supposed to be. Will probably be good for wet pavement. I'm not too concerned about the 112 mph speed limiter. I can't imagine nearing that limit very often. Besides, the ECU flash is now available from a PNW company. I read that the bike tops out near 160 with a reflash. But I read it on the internet so who knows. The bike handles nice, very nice. I love the weight , or lack thereof.

It's not a two up tourer. Too compact for that. But plenty of luggage space. The FJR bags fit right on. There are lots of aftermarket options for rear racks and topcases, etc.

I was not impressed with the brakes, very little initial grab. This may be because the bike had one mile on the odometer when I took it out.

I liked the seating position. I was afraid that it would feel too small for me at 6', 0", 32" inseam, but the bars are high and wide, sorta dirt bikish. Enough knee room and the seat was pretty flat, no tendancy to shove me into the tank. I don't think its an 'all day seat' however. I'm spoiled by the RDL on my FJR. The windscreen was horrid. Really, Yamaha?? The stock seat and windscreen on my FJR were the first things to go, so I guess I'm not surprised.

So it sounds like I'm talking myself into this little redhead. If that happens, there will be photos.

Oh man... doesn't that mean that you'd have to get a new vanity plate?
rolleyes.gif
Or would you keep the venerable '05 for the two up days? (Is the FJ-09 plate available in Mass? It is in NH)

I'm just a little bit pissed I jumped on the 14ES right before they came out with the FJ-09. But then I go for a ride on Big Red and forget all about such silliness.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a short Cal-Sci windshield and some Pazzo levers then park it next to the FJR. The combo works well for variety in ones riding pleasure.

Hotboot,

I was thinking a CalSci large for the FJ. I have a CalSci large on my '05 FJR and it works well for me.. Are you thinking short so that my helmet is completely in the breeze?

Well, I rode a shiny new red one home yesterday. Sure is a fun little bike. I have a solid farkle list in place, starting with the windshield.

So lucky to have two beautiful Yamahas in the garage!

Details and photos to come.

Well, I rode a shiny new red one home yesterday. Sure is a fun little bike. I have a solid farkle list in place, starting with the windshield.
So lucky to have two beautiful Yamahas in the garage!

Details and photos to come.
Congratulations, Rusty!!

Can't wait to get a gander of that sweet young thang.

Is it incestuous to have an affair with the FJR's progeny, or just polygamy?
unsure.png

Congratulations on adding Poly(Gamy) to your stable! Nothing like a good set of tools to round out a hobby. Hopefully the throttle will be sorted out like the FJ-07. I assume we will be seeing the new bike our and about this summer.

I'm going to have to break out the Viffer just to keep up!

Photo assist for my new BFF, Russ!

IMG_20150516_172755_648.jpg

(If they are sisters, they are certainly NOT twins...
wink.png
)

PS - Are you sure that this isn't a Mother and Daughter thing here...?

motherdaughter-fantasy-shock-demotivational-poster-1235961538.jpg