Yamaha Gel Saddle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

Reaction score
I've seen several inquiries lately on this forum concerning the Yamaha gel touring saddles. I just got a set today from an E-Bay seller, as I needed a set of pans for the group buy from Russell. So now I need to decide whether to keep the OEM or the gel units, to use until I get the All-Days.

The FIRST difference I noticed when I removed them from the box was the carbon-fiber look of the seating surfaces. These reminded me of the 2nd generation Corbin saddle I had on my V-Max.

SECOND thing I noticed was how much heavier they are than the OEM saddles, although they are built on the exact same pans.

THIRD was how much thicker the covering is than on the factory units. Also, there is much more detail to the stitching and more stapling of the covers to the pans.

FOURTH was how much more firm the foam is at the bottom of the pan, where you can poke your finger thru the breather holes.

So, I quickly mounted the new saddles and headed out to the highway.

The FIFTH thing I noticed was that the gel saddle felt like sitting on a pine board . . . Hey, this just might BE a Corbin, after all! My ass didn't sink down into the foam. Although the saddle is the same thickness, it feels taller because I'm sitting on top of it, instead down in it!

Now comes the important #6 difference . . . . I have recently installed Leo's (LRider) highway pegs to the frame sliders on my '06 AE, and now when I put my feet up on the highway pegs, I realize that this action puts extra body weight on the arse, and less on the feet. So, when I don't sink down into the saddle, the CRUISING position is much more comfortable.

So I think I will keep the gels, and sacrifice the OEM saddles for the Russell build. Any questions?

Any questions?
Yeah. Vital statistics. Your height, weight, anything else that might be relevant to those of us who are considering the Yamaha gel saddle.

Have you taken any long rides yet?
I'm a wimp of a man, 5'9", 158 lbs, and a 31" inseam. I will take a ride of 100-150 miles later this week, and will let you know how it goes. Phil

I've seen several inquiries lately on this forum concerning the Yamaha gel touring saddles. I just got a set today from an E-Bay seller, as I needed a set of pans for the group buy from Russell. So now I need to decide whether to keep the OEM or the gel units, to use until I get the All-Days.
The FIRST difference I noticed when I removed them from the box was the carbon-fiber look of the seating surfaces. These reminded me of the 2nd generation Corbin saddle I had on my V-Max.

SECOND thing I noticed was how much heavier they are than the OEM saddles, although they are built on the exact same pans.

THIRD was how much thicker the covering is than on the factory units. Also, there is much more detail to the stitching and more stapling of the covers to the pans.

FOURTH was how much more firm the foam is at the bottom of the pan, where you can poke your finger thru the breather holes.

The FIFTH thing I noticed was that the gel saddle felt like sitting on a pine board . . . Hey, this just might BE a Corbin, after all! My ass didn't sink down into the foam. Although the saddle is the same thickness, it feels taller because I'm sitting on top of it, instead down in it!

Now comes the important #6 difference . . . . I have recently installed Leo's (LRider) highway pegs to the frame sliders on my '06 AE, and now when I put my feet up on the highway pegs, I realize that this action puts extra body weight on the arse, and less on the feet. So, when I don't sink down into the saddle, the CRUISING position is much more comfortable.

So I think I will keep the gels, and sacrifice the OEM saddles for the Russell build. Any questions?
I would send Russell the stock ones. Someone mentioned that they use part of the stock foam for their creation. I don't know if it's true, but if it is, you probably don't want to send them anything other than stock which would be what they are used to dealing with.

My .02 worth.

I would send Russell the stock ones. Someone mentioned that they use part of the stock foam for their creation. I don't know if it's true, but if it is, you probably don't want to send them anything other than stock which would be what they are used to dealing with.

My .02 worth.
Good point! I'll ask them about it. Phil

I have about 2k on my gel seat and am very happy with it. It is definately firmer, but it grows on you. I am 6', 280 and the stock seat was just too wimpy. This is much better for me. You can't beat the price for what you get. If you got it from Corbin it would cost you at least triple.

Got to do some freeway flying yesterday on the gel saddle, using a crazy Texas chick for a "front door", who was cruising her Grand Cherokee at 90/100 across Oklahoma into Arkansas. Then did some spirited riding on Arkansas backroads. This firmer saddle assists the rider in moving from side to side in the turns, thus instilling more confidence. As BrunosBP reports, the "hardness" of the foam becomes more natural as the miles and hours go by. I believe I will keep this setup for daily riding, and use my new Russell only for extended trips. phil

I have had the Yamaha comfort seat for about 2000 miles. It is firmer than the stock seat. I like the finish better too. I like the firmer seat on long rides. Longest ride was 12 hours and it was still ok. Well at least if was better than the stock seat. I'm 219 and 6 1. I also like the seat better because it is or at least feels bigger on the seating area. I find it easier to move around a little on it better than the stock seat.

I have had the corbin yamaha seat on an 05. That was very firm and also allowed enough room to move around some.

I'm glad I got the gel yamaha. It will stay on the bike.